Does Mod Organizer gives false information about potential mod order problem

Culted

Question

when using mod organizer with requiem ( and some other script heavy mods) mod organizer gives a potential mod order problem depending on where requiem is placed i attached a screenshot to show you what i mean

the problem is placing the mods how mod organizer think's it should be breaks the some of the scripts from requiem

when i started using mod organizer i was wondering why requiem act's wierd

now i placed requiem at the bottom and it work's

this is only a small problem but i think it's worth mentioning it

maybe the mod organizer dev team could have a look at this and work something out

sorry if my english is bad

post-4047-0-66914100-1399357941_thumb.png

Edited by DoubleYou

BSA extraction is a must have and absolute best practice, just because it's a powerful feature and subject to operator idiocy should not mean the function should be removed; I can't actually fathom why this is even being "debated".

A large part of MO's effectiveness will go away if I lose the means to oversee all mod files, having them "hidden" in a fat archive is not desirable. Like any potential problem, common sense prevents issues. Sure, an ignorant user might have the Unofficial Patch BSA's unpacked in the left-side of MO and incorrectly ordered thus screwing up priorities and overrides. Oh well, RTFM!

• +1 1

@Wolverine: How would having the file inside the bsa simplify hashing? The files can be compressed or uncompressed. So to calculate the hash of a file inside a bsa I might have to extract it.

MO usually "registers" all bsas, loading them through the ini file. Those are NOT synced with esps. If they were, asset load order would be different between loose files and bsas, making correct conflict detection a total mess.

caching the hash results would require a ton of housekeeping and would break the moment someone changes stuff outside MO.

@Kuldebar: I soo love people who ignore everything that has been said on the topic then tell others to RTFM. Do you even realize that people like you who sell BSA extraction as "best practice" are the prime reason I'm considering to remove it? Statements like this are the very reason beginners extract BSAs without understanding the consequences.

Although this thread covers some important topics, this thread seems to have moved past the point where the posts are confined to rational discussion. There also seem to be multiple topics being discussed simultaneously, making it difficult for myself and others to try to contribute usefully to the discussion. Would it be better to open new threads on more limited topics such as BSA extraction and/or some of the other topics being covered? 

Tannin, on 17 May 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:Tannin, on 17 May 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

@Kuldebar: I soo love people who ignore everything that has been said on the topic then tell others to RTFM. Do you even realize that people like you who sell BSA extraction as "best practice" are the prime reason I'm considering to remove it? Statements like this are the very reason beginners extract BSAs without understanding the consequences.

If I wanted less control and less functionality, I'd just use Nexus Mod Manager, and  I thought I had heard that NMM may be using virtualization soon.

As for BSA extraction,  there are other tools to do that with, if you want to hobble and place obstacles for users so they have to install more utilities, that's entirely your business. I want my files to be browse-able, I do not want monolithic mysteries in my mod build. When the USP put's face-gen files that f*ck up my game, I want to identify and hide those files with out having to browse BSA's and then spend time extracting them out.

I don't want BSA's being treated any different than other files, that's what made them such a PITA in the first place for mod management from the user's perspective; it's an unnecessary mechanism. There are plenty of times where solutions involve changing script or mesh priorities, having all the files laid out and immediately accessible is what the empowered user needs when he needs it. Flexibility and versatility are a plus, not a minus.

Edited by Kuldebar

Kelmych, on 17 May 2014 - 2:54 PM, said:

Although this thread covers some important topics, this thread seems to have moved past the point where the posts are confined to rational discussion. There also seem to be multiple topics being discussed simultaneously, making it difficult for myself and others to try to contribute usefully to the discussion. Would it be better to open new threads on more limited topics such as BSA extraction and/or some of the other topics being covered? 

This topic touches upon a number of areas. BSA extraction leads to scripts and other files ending up in the left hand window needing to be managed properly. Mo currently gives the user warnings based on making the priorities coincide with the LOOT/BOOS ordering of the right hand ESM/ESP side.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water now appears to be the trending solution in this topic. Yes, we are now talking about babies and bath water. :confused: