Script Warnings???

Razorsedge877

Question

I don't Know what to think about the mod script order warning that I get with MO. Does it even work? If you follow the Skyrim Revisited guide you have these conflicts -

• Move Cutting Room Floor after Dragon Soul Absorb More Glorious - Male
  • Move CCO - Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade (Skyrim Revisited) after Cutting Room Floor
  • Move Run For Your Lives after CCO - Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade (Skyrim Revisited)
  • Move When Vampires Attack after Run For Your Lives
  • Move Enhanced Blood Textures after When Vampires Attack
  • Move aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Content Addon (Skyrim Revisited) after Enhanced Blood Textures
  • Move Provincial Courier Service after aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Content Addon (Skyrim Revisited)
  • Move Alternate Start - Live Another Life after Provincial Courier Service

I Know its not official yet but I just started following STEP 2.2.9 and already have this conflict -

• Move Brawl Bugs Patch - Compatability Patch after Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

I asked Neo and I have seen a couple other people ask and Neo says ignore it its wrong. I don't know if I'm right but I think the pex files are the script files. I don't see any script conflicts in the Mods conflict tab. I just pulled pex of the top of my head so I am sorry if I'm wrong.

So should I follow the warnings or are they wrong and if they are wrong why even have them?

• +1 1

11 answers to this question

If you follow the guidance the warning gives and move the mods in the left-side pane of MO, the warning will go away. The warning is telling you that your script/data folders need to be in a certain order to avoid potential script interaction nastiness.

Posted Image

Edited by Kuldebar

That is why it seems dumb because it is causing miss information. Tannin or Wolverine need to weigh in on this for clarification. It would just be nice to see it discussed.

Absolutely. All I know is that I have been following the warning's guidance since I start using MO without any noticeable ill-effects. The warning is consistent and dependent on the respective esp ordering on the right side pane. A lot of time was obviously put into the system, one would think there's some substance to it in regards to scripted mod loading.

And its wrong... so ignore the placebo.

Care to elaborate? I'm not aware of any issue in that functionality and I would ask that people (especially moderators and mod authors) not advice people to ignore warnings without at least a bug report on the MO issue tracker detailing why the warning is wrong.

The warning is simply a warning. It tells you there may be an issue. Many times there isn't an issue, and that is why many have decided to simply ignore the warning. In the STEP Guide, there is no conflict, so the warning may be ignored. It is possible to arrange the mods in the STEP Guide so the warning disappears. The difficulty is that this can many times put mods in the STEP Guide and SR:LE in weird categories or in non-alphabetical order, so the authors/maintainers of those guides generally say that we have tested the mods and it is okay.

I do think, however, that the warning detection could be improved. In many cases these out-of-order mods have no conflicting files, so changing their priority position in the left pane to match the load order has a net effect of zero. If this warning could be made so that it only throws an error when this involves script file conflicts resulting in overwritten script files, the warning would be more accurate.

Many times when you go swimming during a thunder storm you will not get struck by lightning and die.

That doesn't mean you should advice people to ignore all warnings against it!

If you suggest to people they ignore the warning, how will they know when the ordering is actually important?

If people continue to suggest the warnings I put in are ignored and I continue to receive bug reports and hate from affected mod authors because of it I will be forced to dumb down MO to the point where people don't have to read anymore.

Also: If you know how to improve the warning detection, why not just tell me? Because I honestly don't. Unless mod authors start to properly document compatibility of their mods but we all know that's not going to happen.

• +1 1

I agree with you Tannin. As to improving the system, if the detection could possibly ensure that there are conflicting pex files, that should greatly assist in weeding out non-issues. Somehow make a call after your current algorithm for .pex file conflicts between the detected mods, and if exist, then and only then issue the warning.

My problem with the warnings is that they are false positives. I get warnings about mods being incorrectly ordered when they are clearly the right way around, as requested by MO in the warning. For example; Move Requiem - Mass Effect - now supporting Vilja and others after Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim Requiem mass effect is installed lower in my mod order than Apocalypse. That is why I ignore :)

There are sometimes where you will get 4 lines or so of warnings but by moving one item the rest become inapplicable. So far, I haven't really had an issue with them and always can comply with the warning so it goes away and all is well.

I know when I first started using MO the warning text confused the hell out of me...I didn't realize it was referring to the left-side pane of MO. I recall getting rather frustrated until I realized my misunderstanding.