Possible VRam overload?

eLoCC86

Question

I usualy get between 50-60 FPS in Fraps, using mostly 2k Textures and NO 4k textures, but I'am noticing purple and black textures on totally random things, sometimes the whole room will be black and purple.

I read through the other forum about texture problems.

I also get completly random crash, sometimes after and hour of play

and sometimes less.

Its not my GPU as I have monitored it while playing and all is well.

Im also at the sounds section in STEP program and have run BOSS and Tes5Edit on a regular basis and both programs are showing no problems.

My load order and install order are perfect and I have installed all the nessesary patches and so forth...

Also using that latest RCRN AE Beta and NOT using ENBOOST, or Duel Sheath Redux or XP32 Maximum Skeleton.

I have properly cleaned the Skyrim Masters and the DLC's and I have not changed uGridsToLoad, these things happen even when starting a new game.

My System Specs:Windows 8.1 Pro x64AMD Vishera FX-9370 @4.7GHz/Liquid cooled16GB Patriot 1333EL Series High Performance RAMHIS Radeon HD 7870 IceQ Turbo 2GB/OC @ 1225Core/1355Mem

DLCList.txt

loadorder.txt

plugins.txt

Edited by eLoCC86

6 answers to this question

Easy way to test if modded textures are swamping your GPU, just uncheck them in Mod Organizer and load up the game to see if anything changes. Did this just start happening out of the blue or in a specific (new) area you arrived at in game? 

Other possibilities include a bad SMiM/parallax/custom mesh installation...

I use ENBoost and SSME...so can't comment on RCRN. But on the rare occasions I have had a black texture it was VRAM related. I could usually clear it on reload and it would normally just be my character's face that was black; this no longer occurs because I have optimized my ENBlocal settings.

The purple/violet usually means you are missing a texture...texture-mesh path error.

Also, there's been some game engine bugs that can cause this...but that was before the last official patch I believe.

Hmm...

well I knew I should used MO like instructed but I'm confident using NMM since I'am familair with the proper file structure of a mod and how to install manually or with a manager.

Starting over and gonna use MO but still I should be able to run 2k textures?

and SMIM used an installer so I'm not sure how it was installed wrong?

Also I will be using ENBoost and whatever they recommend in STEP this time round , hopefully all will go well.....

I run 2k Textures and my GPU only has 1GB VRAM...so yes, easily.

SMiM Installer is great but other texture mods may not be compatible with SMiM depending on the reference path for the mesh.

QuoteI will be using ENBoost and whatever they recommend in STEP this time round , hopefully all will go well.....

It might seem a little tough to start over but if you stick it out it will pay off. I switched to MO, ENBoost and SSME and my game problems just went away but it took me awhile to get a handle on how to configure various settings, etc. Mod Organizer is simply indispensable, I can't believe I went as long I did without it.

Mods can still cause issues of course, but MO makes isolating issues a lot easier.

And then there's STEP recommendations that come into play by helping reduce the chance that poorly conceived mods could ruin your Skyrim day. Even if you don't use STEP listed mods, the information and best practices approach that STEP advocates can help you nail down a solid mod build.

Edited by Kuldebar

You definitely need a better mod manager than NMM. I use Wrye/BAIN, STEP recommends Mod Organizer, both offer must have features that NMM does not, the ability to change textures on the fly and files conflict indication being just two. You may find BAIN more challenging to use, but there is plenty of documentaation for MO here.

You definitely need a better mod manager than NMM. I use Wrye/BAIN, STEP recommends Mod Organizer, both offer must have features that NMM does not, the ability to change textures on the fly and files conflict indication being just two. You may find BAIN more challenging to use, but there is plenty of documentaation for MO here.

I've never used WryeBash to install mods, but I definitely use it for bash patching and to identify other problems. I recall trying out BAIN once but found it difficult to use...and LOOT still remains a mystery to me (can't reconcile/understand some of things it does with my load order) but I look forward to using it some day when it is a little less enigmatic and perhaps less of a "black-box".