Nonreactive Clicks

Robby

Question

The game's reaction to clicks seems to be on a timer for me. If i perform a normal left-click the game doesn't react; no swing, not even speed-clicking ten times in a row. I have to perform a longer click, say 150ms, for the game to react to it.

I've read about this problem on the web and it seems rare and most often related to an old Dawnguard problem or to low performance. I don't have any DLC, i have +60 FPS in most occasions and the problem persists even when looking straight up and reaching 120+ FPS. So i assume the mod setup must be the culprit. I have installed many STEP versions before, but this is the first time installing 2.2.8.

I haven't installed all of the mods, thus i'm not using any of the STEP patches. I have never installed all mods in any previous STEP versions though and i have never encountered this problem before.

Any ideas with which mods to begin turning off and testing? I have no idea where to start.

I can naturally supply you with all the details such as BOSS list etc, but i first wanted to see if there's anyone who've encountered this problem before and knows straight what to go for.

W7-x64

1080p

i5 3570K @ 4.5

16 GB DDR3

GTX 670 OC

HDD

4 answers to this question

Interface delays can be caused by script lag, or a slow CPU (which is not your issue).

But it certainly sounds like you aren't using VSYNC...the game doesn't do well over 60 FPS and there are indications that the sweet-spot for gameplay mechanics (scripting, AI, quest timers, physics...etc) is actually somewhere below 60 FPS.

So, flying in the dark through clouds of many unknowns, I suggest you copy your saved game to use for testing purposes:

Use vanilla Skyrim.ini & SkyrimPrefs.ini settings. Remove your old ones, run the Steam Launcher and new ones will be created. If you are using Mod Organizer, you will need to update the applicable Profile with the new ini files. 

Don't mess with VSYNC, preferably just use the Skyrim's default settings for it and certainly don't have it forced it off in your GPU control panel. If you use ENBoost, set VYSNC enabled.

NOW LOAD your saved game. Observe. Any changes?

If no changes then now it's time to see if you have orphaned/rogue scripts/mod specific bogging your game down.

Start the process of elimination.

(It may be worth looking into active scripts via the Save game script cleaner by Hadoram) Not (at least initially) for actually using to clean, but for its ability to show you the active script instances you have running in a particular save. All the appropriate warnings apply, if you should choose to use this nifty tool, make a backup of the save file first and read the instructions for the utility.

Back to elimination process: systematically uncheck in Mod Organizer blocks of mods and load the game up and see when and if the problem changes. Repeatable issues/constants are the easiest to resolve in most cases because when you take the cause out of the equation, you have your solution.

Edited by Kuldebar
  • +1 1

Thanks for a good reply Thane.

I would definitely had followed your advice if i didn't happen to notice that this problem apparently only persisted during the Helgen intro section. As soon as i got out of the cave the game reacted to even the slightest click. This does however possibly fall in line with what you say about the FPS, because with an ENB running and pretty maxed out settings i'm getting around 40 FPS when looking out over the landscape from there. If i notice this problem in high FPS scenarios from here on i'll try your suggestions out and report back.

I have during this testing found three additional problems though. Are they something i can take here or do you think the staff would prefer me creating a new topic for them? Maybe even one topic for each problem? Some forums are picky about this stuff. The problems are related to no music playing, subtitles not showing, and gravity going haywire.

Robby, on 23 Apr 2014 - 03:21 AM, said:Robby, on 23 Apr 2014 - 03:21 AM, said:

Thanks for a good reply Thane.

I would definitely had followed your advice if i didn't happen to notice that this problem apparently only persisted during the Helgen intro section. As soon as i got out of the cave the game reacted to even the slightest click. This does however possibly fall in line with what you say about the FPS, because with an ENB running and pretty maxed out settings i'm getting around 40 FPS when looking out over the landscape from there. If i notice this problem in high FPS scenarios from here on i'll try your suggestions out and report back.

I have during this testing found three additional problems though. Are they something i can take here or do you think the staff would prefer me creating a new topic for them? Maybe even one topic for each problem? Some forums are picky about this stuff. The problems are related to no music playing, subtitles not showing, and gravity going haywire.

Helgen Intro is an exceptionally high script scenario...mods initializing, the quest scripts firing off, lots of environmental activators, etc. Nice to hear it settled down for you.

Some related discussions:

Do NOT disable vSync!

Edited by Kuldebar
  • +1 1