Black Bars on bodies

VonDoom

Question

Thanks, I'll have a look at it!

Though, came upon something that's not entirely worked out -- Roberts Male Body. Specifically, I'm getting those black bars that the description says are related to Automatic Archive Invalidation. That's activated on my MMO, though. Currently checking to see if a reinstall of both Robert and FCO will help.

Edit: Oh, wait, I'm a fool ... Spice of Life is already on the list. *slaps forehead*

EssArrBee:  I'm adding this discussion to the Support forum so if anyone else has the problem they can see the answer. It is on post #12. Just click the BSAs in the BSA tab to get the bars to go away.

Edited by EssArrBee

Sorry to revive this post, but I've having the exact same issue as VonDoom here. However, when I was installing my mods in MO, I opted for the option to unpack my BSA's instead of keeping them packaged. So because of that, I don't have any mod-related BSA files in the Archives tab of MO to tick to fix this problem the way that VonDoom was able to fix it.(At least, I think that's the reason)

Is there some other way I can get the same results here? What are my options?

As far as I can tell, this is the final thing I need to get sorted and then I can finally play. Oh, and I have toggled Archive Invalidation multiple times with no change.

You might reinstall the mod and don't unpack the BSA.

I knew I forgot to say something!

So when I opted to unpack my BSA's in MO, I checked the box that tells MO to remember my selection. So I don't get that prompt anymore when I install mods with BSAs, it automatically unpacks them.

Do you know if there's a way I can get MO to prompt me again? Or if there is a setting, maybe in an ini, where I can change it to keep the BSA's packaged instead?

Thanks for the quick response.

Edit: I decided to go digging in the Mod Organizer.ini file after posting this.

I found this:

[DialogChoices]
unpackBSA=16384

So, normally I would expect this to be like, =1 and not a 5-digit value. Can you go into your Mod Organizer.ini and tell me what your value here is? Assuming you leave your BSA's packaged of course.
Edited by McDili

This is from the FAQ:

Q: I set Mod Organizer to automatically extract BSAs, and now I want to change this. How do I reset this setting?

A: Go to the Settings menu by clicking the wrench icon in the toolbar. Click Reset Dialogs and click yes at the prompt.

Try that.

This is from the FAQ:

Q: I set Mod Organizer to automatically extract BSAs, and now I want to change this. How do I reset this setting?

A: Go to the Settings menu by clicking the wrench icon in the toolbar. Click Reset Dialogs and click yes at the prompt.

Try that.

Out of all the googling I did and this never showed up, heh.

Thanks Essarrbee. I'm using your guide(Mostly) as my setup right now, I'm really anxious to get into it. I'll edit this post here soon after I'm done reinstalling some of these mods, and report a hopeful success.

EDIT 1: Alright so I fixed it. I tried reinstalling a few mods here and there with no luck. What worked was strange, I disabled every BSA in the data directory via MO's archive tab. Started the game, got a black screen with the cursor texture being a square. Closed the game. Went to go enable all the BSA's again in MO, when I pulled them up in the archive tab though, they were already enabled again. I started the game again and suddenly the black chest issue was gone all together.

Not sure why that worked.

But I'll leave this here just in case it might help someone else solve the same issue if they ever come across it.

Edited by McDili

I had this issue as well. Was living with it for awhile but it really started bugging me. So, decided to get to work on it.

When the person above me said the unticked all the bsa's I didn't know what they meant because all of the main Fallout bsa's were grayed out for me. Update #2 below fixed it though.

I tried reinstalling with and without the Auto Archive Invalidation box checked in the Mod Organizer profiles pane. Didn't work.

Finally figured it out and it's SOMEWHAT similar to VonDoom's solution. However, I think mine is more specific:

UPDATE: In order for this to work you have to leave the Auto Archive Invalidation option unchecked in your profile in MO. However, when you do that then Fallout Character Overhaul is unable to Archive Invalidate and so you'll see random pink faces on NPC's.

I currently don't know of a way to have both mods working as intended. I've gone back through and reinstalled Type 3, Roberts and FCO all with the Auto Archive Invalidation checked and they just don't want to work together.

I'm continuing to troubleshoot a possible fix.

UPDATE 2: After trying for hours to get them to work together I just couldn't get it. Finally I went back to the Default profile and started with the guide from scratch. Once I got to Roberts I started up the game and found that sure enough the black bars were still there. Didn't matter what I did. Finally, I opened FOMM from Mod Organizer and unchecked ArchiveInvalidation under Tools and then checked it again. Mod Organizer didn't really like this and placed a Fallout - AI!.bsa in the Overwrite folder. HOWEVER, now all the Fallout bsa's were black and I could uncheck them. I unchecked them all and went into the game and got the black screen with the square cursor. Ended the task on it and when I went back into Mod Organizer they were all checked again. Started the game up again and everything worked great!

Very funky fix but I'm glad that's over. Going to leave the steps below for research purposes. Because they DO work but will cause problems with other mods.

1) Make sure Auto Archive Invalidation is 'unchecked' in the Mod Organizer profiles pane (for the profile you are working on). If following the guide the profile will be named 'Fear and Loathing'.2) Go to the modsRoberts Male Body directory and open the RobertsNV - README.txt file.3) Go to 'STEP THREE' in the txt file and copy all the lines regarding the *.dds files4) Within the modsRoberts Male Body directory create a 'archiveinvalidation.txt' file.5) Open the archiveinvalidation.txt file and paste the lines regarding the *.dds files into the document.6) THIS STEP MIGHT NOT BE NECESSARY BUT I DID IT ANYWAYS ----- There is an archiveinvalidation.txt file in the modsType3 Body and Armor replacer folder. Copy the contents of the archiveinvalidation.txt file within that folder (I believe there are 6 lines of *.dds files) and paste them into the new archiveinvalidation.txt file you created in step 5 above and then close/save the file. Roberts comes after Type 3 in Mod Organizer so I think Roberts archiveinvalidation.txt file will overwrite Type3's file. Again, I only did this because I don't know the limitations of MO regarding archive invalidation.At the end of this Step 6 you should have about 30 lines of *.dds files in the archiveinvalidation.txt file located within the modsRoberts Male Body directory7)Back in Mod Organizer in the right hand pane click the 'Archives' tab then expand the 'data' folder. Uncheck, and then check the 'Fallout - Invalidation.bsa file'.8) Go into the game and check if this fixed it.

Basically, this step is manually doing the Archive Invalidation for Roberts Male Body. It was the only way I got the black bars on my chest to go away. Hope this helps someone.

Edited by Vaportrails

A bit of a necro, but I had this same problem when after playing Fallout 3 for quite a time, I tried the TTW version. Now I could see every type  of body, M or F,was ugly, striped, dirty. It was likewise when playing regular FNV, an installation of a year or so back which then had no such issues. To keep it short, after many hours and trials, I tried uninstalling my recently upgraded FNV MO version and went back to the 1.2.18. I then merely fired up FNV to find that now everything had come back as it should be. 

Oblivion,  FO3, , and Skyrim work well with the late versions of MO. However it seems FNV does not like the later archive invalidation.(?)

FNV, FO3 & TES4 in MO use the same techniques so you are just unlucky to have your FNV AI broken at the moment.

However the issue is known and being examined and there is a very simple fix you can do to get your game up and running.

This thread is a discussion of the AI problem and that post outlines some steps to rectify it.