Hypothermia (by n1t0r)

oqhansoloqo

Hypothermia (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/6745/?) by n1t0r.

"Hypothermia is a configurable immersion mod that provides a core body temperature for the player. Core temperature isobservable in your magic effects menu. The core body temperature drops and rises based on environmental factors, weather,location in Skyrim, frost resistance, time of day, swimming in cold water, armor and clothing, and level of exertion.When the core temp drops below certain thresholds, the effects include, slowed movement, reduced magicka regen,stamina drain, reduced pickpocket and lockpicking, disabled fast travel, blurred vision, and health drain at the verylowest core temp. Multiple methods for preventing the heat loss. Proximity to campfires and Giant bonfires providesheat. Warm up by the fire!"

This mod is basically a lite alternative to Frostfall.  It's been around for a while.  The reason I post it now is because it was just updated by the author to a new version.  This new version adds MCM support to the mod.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

• 8 months later...

Has anyone here checked this mod out?  The ONLY reason I decided not to use it is because iNeed spoiled me - this mod makes you go into either the spell or shout menu in order to view your exposure status.  I would have preferred a HUD similar to iNeed's.  For me it would have completed this mod and I'd totally be using it.  Frostfall adds WAY too much stuff that I just do not want in my game.  Backpacks and cloaks that can't be disabled, for example.  Frostfall also requires that special compatibility patches be installed for lots of other mods - I know this because I remember seeing "Frostfall" options in a lot of other mods' installers or in optional file downloads.  I prefer a simpler alternative.  The author of Hypothermia also basically gave permission to the Skyrim modding community to use his mod in other projects.  So naturally I proposed to isoku the idea of him taking Hypothermia and making a version that included a HUD similar to iNeed.  Unfortunately, by that time isoku stated that he doesn't need another project to work on - he would have been the best one to do it though, since he has a lot of modding experience doing complex projects and he was the one who designed the excellent HUD system for iNeed.  It is still, an available project for someone else though.  :)

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I know you can tell much from simply the number of scripts in a mod, but Hypothermia and Camping Lite have 28 scripts total compared to Frostfall ( which I love dearly ) which has 138. I am sure you will be losing a lot of features though. For instance, no cooking at a campfire without FF, and no follower support in campsites. I'm still tempted to give this a go.

The "Camping Lite" mod description says you can cook at the campfire that you create through the mod.  Also, there is a "Campfire Cooking" mod that allows you to use any campfire in the game and all three are compatible with each other.  Personally, I'm not going to install the "Campfire Cooking" mod though, because it's got some bugs.  You can see the mod author mention them in a summary of his planned fixes in that mod's Nexus forum before he left the scene (he never got around to polishing it up).

I've actually been reconsidering, and I am going to try out "Hypothermia"... along with "Camping Lite", and another mod called "Real Shelter", which in the past had been buggy as hell but now looks greatly polished up from then.

I just ran the game with Camping Lite and Hypothermia added.  Just like when I tried Frostfall a long time ago, Hypothermia caused the game to lag a slight amount versus without it - probably due to the regularly-run scripts.  I'm not sure if it was this mod, but I had Dorthe go from visible to invisible on me later on and stay that way (disable/enable would only make her visible for a few seconds and then she'd fade away again) and I've never had that happen before.  There were supposed to be different animations for freezing, hand warming, etc. too and did not see those occur.  I re-ran the game (re-processed bashed patch/DSR/FNIS/etc.) with just Camping Lite and I'm not getting the same lag and haven't seen any kind of unexpected bug yet.

I've decided that both Frostfall and Hypothermia just cause too many issues - even if they are cool.  So many other mods have compatibility patches for Frostfall too and that's hard to keep track of since STEP doesn't keep track of those installation options for mods.  Hypothermia may even have incompatibilities with some mods, but since it's not as popular they aren't even mentioned.  It's just TOO much hassle.

Now for Real Shelter...

Edited by oqhansoloqo