ENBoost/Skyrim INIs recommended STEP settings wrong?

blattgeist

Question

Hi STEP community. This is my first post here so I hope this is the right place.

I noticed that the description for recommended ENBoost settings might be wrong on a certain part:

Quote: "Set this line to true to use the memory reduction features without the graphic modifications of ENB.

UseDefferedRendering=(false, true)" http://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost

I believe the line above is wrong. Setting it to true would be for ENB - users and settings it to false for Non - ENB users, meaning for people that do not use any graphical modifications.

Evidence? This post:

from Skyliner90 in the ENBoost comments on Nexus, Quote:

"UseDefferedRendering=true Some sort of rendering technique, unimportant unless you use ENB graphics."

And also this post: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1042116-ctd-and-performance-patch-enboost/page-70

Quote: "Most if not all ENB presets work with ENBoost. Pick an ENB you like, use v0193 or latest enb, change UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false and UseDefferedRendering=true in enblocal.ini for enb effects. If your enb comes with sweetfx, change EnableProxyLibrary=true, InitProxyFunctions=true and ProxyLibrary=yoursweetfx.dll in enblocal.ini as well."

So... am I right?

Greetings, blattgeist.

Edit: Here the link to the STEP site that I was referring to.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Recommended_ENB_Profiles#Global

Edited by EssArrBee

I just did a bit more digging on the sources of my previous understanding that enabling compression in ENBoost will reduce VRAM usage.

Probably the most trustworthy source of that idea was from Phinix, who has added explanations right into the enblocal.ini that he supplied with his Phinix Natural ENB. It's just been updated to v2.0, and when I downloaded it and checked in the enblocal.ini that it comes with, sure enough, this is what I found:

//Disabling may reduce stuttering in some cases, however can also

//cause significantly higher VRAM use.
EnableCompression=true

So, I hope that helps to explain where I've gotten that idea from. Perhaps asking Boris himself would be the best way to make sure?

Also note that in the skyrimprefs.ini file S.T.E.P. recommends to disable this but specifically for Phinix ENB he states to set it as  ipreferinterval=1 to force VSync it has helped me get rid of all kinds of wacky things happening i.e. stuttering near water and underwater bug when on land.

I was going off the front page:

1.D.2. SkyrimPrefs INI

iPresentInterval = 0/1  ;this setting has no apparent impact and should be DELETED - vsync should be handled in enblocal.ini (see ENBoost mod instructions)

and specifically for PHINIX's ENB he states " to set as 1 it as it causes all kinds of problems"

thanks TechAngel for the quick reply!

We've done extensive testing on this subject and have found the setting to have no impact when placed the in the SkyrimPrefs.ini file. In fact, Tannin (author of MO) helped us to confirm that the game itself incorrectly places the parameter in the SkyrimPrefs.ini file when, in fact, it should be placed in the Skyrim.ini file. We recommend for the value to be set to 1 now or delete it altogether since the default setting is 1 anyway.