ENBoost/Skyrim INIs recommended STEP settings wrong?

blattgeist

Question

Hi STEP community. This is my first post here so I hope this is the right place.

I noticed that the description for recommended ENBoost settings might be wrong on a certain part:

Quote: "Set this line to true to use the memory reduction features without the graphic modifications of ENB.

UseDefferedRendering=(false, true)" http://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost

I believe the line above is wrong. Setting it to true would be for ENB - users and settings it to false for Non - ENB users, meaning for people that do not use any graphical modifications.

Evidence? This post:

from Skyliner90 in the ENBoost comments on Nexus, Quote:

"UseDefferedRendering=true Some sort of rendering technique, unimportant unless you use ENB graphics."

And also this post: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1042116-ctd-and-performance-patch-enboost/page-70

Quote: "Most if not all ENB presets work with ENBoost. Pick an ENB you like, use v0193 or latest enb, change UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false and UseDefferedRendering=true in enblocal.ini for enb effects. If your enb comes with sweetfx, change EnableProxyLibrary=true, InitProxyFunctions=true and ProxyLibrary=yoursweetfx.dll in enblocal.ini as well."

So... am I right?

Greetings, blattgeist.

Edit: Here the link to the STEP site that I was referring to.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Recommended_ENB_Profiles#Global

Edited by EssArrBee

keithinhanoi, on 17 Apr 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:keithinhanoi, on 17 Apr 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

Kuldebar - I'm curious as to what the ENB GUI reports your Video Memory to be, now that you're trying out AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true.

ENB GUI says I have 4800MB...versus the 4095 that DXDiag gives and the 3968 I usually manually set it to...

I recall the 10240 max being given out by Boris...he was bemoaning (understandably) that people were setting ridiculous amounts for VideoMemorySizeMb. Strange...maybe he was just trying to herd the cats...

Edited by Kuldebar

ENB GUI says I have 4800MB...versus the 4095 that DXDiag gives and the 3968 I usually manually set it to...

I recall the 10240 max being given out by Boris...he was bemoaning (understandably) that people were setting ridiculous amounts for VideoMemorySizeMb. Strange...maybe he was just trying to herd the cats...

Yes, well, and we all know how herding cats goes.

But the great Boracle has spoken and he clearly said it used to be 10240 max.

Anyhow, it's very interesting that AutodetectVideoMemorySize settles on 4800MB for your system, while the ((RAM + VRAM) - 2048) would have you setting it to 7168.

I will try reservedmemorysize=512 for a while now. Let's see if I get a stable experience. I have no problem with brief stutter after a cell load.. if my overall vram usage is lower by enabling compression. Lower VRAM usage translates to less ctds hopefully. Regarding the autodetect setting, yeah.. we should try to get some general settings depending on the different amounts of ram/vram that users have and of course the type of system (x64/x32).

I have 16GB RAM and 4GB VRAM, Windows 7 64bit... For a while I thought maybe videomemorysize=2x vram (~8192) would be a good middle. But don't ask my why, just sounds like a good number. ENBoost would take about 4GB of RAM on top of my 4GB VRAM minus the reservedmemorysize (right?) to process things then.

Edit: So  far only 1 crash, at the helgen opening scene when the dragon shouted for the first time. Full amount of mods installed ~200mods , 155 esps.

Edited by blattgeist

Been running with compression disabled (EnableCompression=false) the past few days since this discussion. All is well, game is smooth, I've had a single CTD on a fast reload after dying in a busy area and it didn't happen again after game restart.

Okay, like with many other debatable points about the settings in enblocal.ini, I've visited the great Boracle, and gotten a definitive answer on whether EnableCompression=true results in compressed data in VRAM and lowered VRAM usage.

Long story short, his answer was "no."

For the longer story, please see my complete post over on the main STEP thread on ENBoost.

Thanks for getting confirmation (sort of anyway).

Looks like you were correct and my assumptions were wrong. Definitely not the first time for either!

Based on this, we should recommend compression be used by default, unless running 64-bit with at least 8 GB RAM (with caveat that this will not apply to everyone).

What is the default setting? True or False?

Thanks for getting confirmation (sort of anyway).

When you say "sort of", I assume you're referring to Boris' typically terse answer.

Yes, his answers are often not 100% crystal clear in the way he uses English (as a second language), but this one is really quite straightfoward, especially taken together with all of his previous statements on the feature.

Anyhow, with improved memory usage being a hallmark feature of ENBoost, the default setting in the enblocal.ini included with the binary download from enbdev.com is EnableCompression=true.

Yes, I was referring to his limited and less-than-crystal-clear response. I agree that it is enough to be confident that EnableCompression does not act on data within VRAM.

It is good that this is 'True' by default, because that way we don't need to even mention it in the ENBoost install notes (but detailed descriptions will still be needed for this and all other settings in the ENB Guide). I am a big fan of "less is more" ;)

Wow good find keithinhanoi. So it only deals with ram usage huh.. hm. With my system I would be better off setting it to false then, since 16GB ram and all. But I guess in the end it does not make much of a difference, even when set to true I see no micro stutters. I will change that when I ever see some.

But really good job on your research.

Hi guys, reporting back here. Got a new setting to consider for STEP when using ENBoost:

EDited: don't follow this quote if you don't want blurry ground textures after a short distance:

Quote: "Now, quick warning, if you have driver (Nvidia/AMD) Anisotropic Filtering enabled, disable it, and use ENB Anisotropic Filtering, as ENB knows which textures should and shouldnt have Linear filtering. Knowing this fixes many bugs from having it forced everywhere from the driver, especially with Parallax effects. Verify ENB Anisotropic Filtering is enabled by making sure the following lines in enblocal.ini match what's below:ForceAnisotropicFiltering=trueMaxAnisotropy=16"

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50244/?

Although I won't use any of the other settings that are recommended on that mod page. My increased papyrus settings and HAVOK set to 4 cores are working just fine... so why change it.

Here for quick reference my papyrus settings in case anyone wants to jump on it and comment, not directly related to the reason of my comment, but here goes:

fUpdateBudgetMS=800.0fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800.0fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000.0iMinMemoryPageSize=256iMaxMemoryPageSize=512iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2457600bEnableLogging=1bEnableTrace=1bLoadDebugInformation=1

Anyway, that was all for now. Cheers.

Edited by blattgeist

Are using ENBoost's anisotropic filtering (AF) settings in enblocal.ini less efficient performance-wise than using AF settings in NVIDIA's driver settings?  In other words, will the performance cost of using 16x AF in enblocal.ini cost me more FPS versus using 16x AF in NVIDIA's driver settings?

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Hi guys, reporting back here. Got a new setting to consider for STEP when using ENBoost:

Quote:

Now, quick warning, if you have driver (Nvidia/AMD) Anisotropic Filtering enabled, disable it, and use ENB Anisotropic Filtering, as ENB knows which textures should and shouldnt have Linear filtering. Knowing this fixes many bugs from having it forced everywhere from the driver, especially with Parallax effects. Verify ENB Anisotropic Filtering is enabled by making sure the following lines in enblocal.ini match what's below:ForceAnisotropicFiltering=trueMaxAnisotropy=16

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50244/?

I recommend using that setting. I quickly went into the game and noticed no change, so ENBoost handles that as it seems.

Although I won't use any of the other settings that are recommended on that mod page. My increased papyrus settings and HAVOK set to 4 cores are working just fine... so why change it.

Here for quick reference my papyrus settings in case anyone wants to jump on it and comment, not directly related to the reason of my comment, but here goes:

fUpdateBudgetMS=800.0fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800.0fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000.0iMinMemoryPageSize=256iMaxMemoryPageSize=512iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2457600bEnableLogging=1bEnableTrace=1bLoadDebugInformation=1

Anyway, that was all for now. Cheers.

Pretty sure running running fUpdateBudgetMS=800.0 and fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800.0 isn't recommended, see this post by a bethesda dev :

https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1487930-getting-a-lot-of-script-lag-going-over-10000-ms-sometimes/?do=findComment&comment=23340131

Edited by crime_syndicate

Using almost any INI edit for Papyrus and multithreading is going to mess up performance. All that stuff is pure snake oil and it doesn't even do what people think it actually does. Most of the INI edits are hidden for a reason. Most are for development purposes so the people that make the game can access specific things.

Forget my recommendation.. ENBoosts AF setting is not as good as advertised. It makes the ground textures blurry after a short distance. I'll edit my post, so that nobody makes some wrong changes.

Are using ENBoost's anisotropic filtering (AF) settings in enblocal.ini less efficient performance-wise than using AF settings in NVIDIA's driver settings?  In other words, will the performance cost of using 16x AF in enblocal.ini cost me more FPS versus using 16x AF in NVIDIA's driver settings?

I don't know about that. I run at constant 50 fps (framelimit set to 50).

So what papyrus settings do you guys recommend for a game with lots of script mods? I just want to make sure to be able to run a script heavy setup (although it's not recommended and I don't use it yet). To be honest I don't know what information to trust anymore.. it's all over the nexus. Lot's of people claim that with higher settings in the papyrus section of the skyrim.ini they experienced less stutter, less ctds and so on. So changing these settings has to be good for something. Or do you really think that it's all just a placebo effect? I'm not trying to be ignorant here, just want to find out what's true and what not.

See this comment for example: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/925691-skyrim-memory-leak-fix/page-23&do=findComment&comment=8066173

1: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32363/?

2: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50244/?

Edited by blattgeist