Real Shelter - Full Release (by Robinsage)

EssArrBee

I'm still using my patch from a few versions back, I haven't the need at the moment to upgrade and test further, but I would say this is very robust and there are no 'issues' with other aspects of the game.

Try it, it's easy and quick and if you don't like the results, delete it.

As patchers go, this ranks high in my books.

To be honest, nothing really sticks out. the only occasional issue I've seen if there being rain inside still. (and that's rare). One place is the tower you run into at the vanilla start, where Ulfric and Ralof are. I run Helgen Reborn, so when I go back to Helgen and it's raining, I see rain in that tower sometimes. No biggie and if I wanted I could probably patch it myself.

There's a few small niggles where if you're in say a thunder storm, and the thunder clap sounds are playing as you run into a shelter, they cut off abruptly. Like i said, relatively minor.

So, I installed it and so far it's working as intended I think, the transition lighting matches, but... the rain doesn't (haven't looked at snow).  I set the weather to "c8220 - SkyrimStormRain".  In this situation, I get slanted falling rain unsheltered and then the best option I can choose for sheltered rain is option #2.  Then I set the weather to "c821f - SkyrimOvercastRain".  In this situation, I get rain that looks very similar to unsheltered rain but there's far more rain falling when sheltered (like a heavy downpour).  I am using RLO Weather, so maybe that's why it doesn't match.  I'm going to mention this on the mod's Nexus page.

• 3 weeks later...

So I got this working after putting it at the bottom of my load order. Only problem now is that, with the Weather and Lighting mod pack and Vividian vanilla, when it starts raining it is really light then starts to pick up and start raining hard but when it's still light rain if i walk under shelter it switches immediately to dumping buckets. Any ideas for a fix?

Tried looking for this but couldn't find it.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Post from @Chesko on the Real Shelter Nexus page. Quoted in full below.

I am the new owner of Real Shelter. I'm just waiting on ThreeTen to transfer ownership of the page. 

After looking at the innards of Real Shelter, I'm not that intimidated by it; it's a fairly simple project to step into. 

I'm still fairly ignorant as to how absolutely everything works and I haven't tested anything yet, but, I think I see some ways in which things could be automated to do away with things like the TES5Edit patching. But, I'll have to try it and see how it goes. 

So, it will be both interesting and sad to see the change of hands on this one. I for one thought the whole xEdit scripting process of this mod was a stroke of genius. I guess @ThreeTen finally succumbed to the endless posting of: "Why can't this be easier to install? What is xEdit and why do I need it? Help, I don't know what to do?" Or the biggest issue: "Why is it still raining in <insert place>"

I loved the whole xEdit patching side of Real Shelter as well Grant, it was so much easier to use than people made it out to be, but the fact of the matter is some people are just plain lazy and want everything done for them, kind of how the internet is going, I'm excited for where Chesko will take it, he has said that if the xEdit patching is the best way of doing things he will keep it that way, imagine the look on the haters faces if that is indeed the way it ends up progressing ::D:

Edited by Rebel47

I loved the whole xEdit patching side of Real Shelter as well Grant, it was so much easier to use than people made it out to be, but the fact of the matter is some people are just plain lazy and want everything done for them, kind of how the internet is going, I'm excited for where Chesko will take it, he has said that if the xEdit patching is the best way of doing things he will keep it that way, imagine the look on the haters faces if that is indeed the way it ends up progressing ::D:

Quite frankly, I dislike most majority of xEdit patchers, including my own.

They're clunky, waste time and require a ton of user involvement/babysitting.

I do have to say that the idea of SUM is great even though the whole java thing is whats holding it back.

What I would like to see is a standardized method for running automated patchers by opening some program like SUM and ticking the patchers that one meets the requirements for and then starting the process which will place the patchers in the proper order for execution then the user can just sit back and chill or do other things like go out side or something... IDK.

Now that I think of it, this is totally doable with a little knowledge because you can launch a script through xEdit by using something like

-FNV -o:"C:\Games\F&L NV\mods\FNVLODGen\" -LODGen

-LODGen being the script I.E. LODGen.pas

Since there seems to be some confusion about what the patcher does:

The patcher only makes it so that you don't get a visually different weather when stepping under a shelter. Because technically Real Shelter forces the game to change the weather type whenever you go under a shelter. It's the same weather type, just without the on-screen rain/snow effect. The patcher scans your load order for wheather changing mods and makes sure that all weather characteristics (brightness, fog, clouds etc.) look exactly the same to minimize the transition.

The patcher does not add shelters to structures added by mods. All shelters are handplaced and require seperate patches for mods that add buildings.