Mod Suggestions subforum for Fallout Series forum

rootsrat

Question

Could I request a Mod Suggestions subforum (with the same posting rules as the main Mods forum please, so that the user needs to tick the "declaration" before posting) in Fallout Series forums please? 

There seems to be increased interest in Fallout modding a lot of new mods are being released recently, so it would be great to have MS forums for Fallout series, especially that SRB released his FNV modding guide.

TIA!

The other games could be brought up to under the Townships Forums. That way everything Skyrim and STEP related will remain the focus. EssArrBee's guide is popular enough that it could be brought up a level without issue. It has become the "STEP" for Fallout: New Vegas much like SR:LE has become the STEP alternative for Skyrim.

The other games could be brought up to under the Townships Forums. That way everything Skyrim and STEP related will remain the focus. EssArrBee's guide is popular enough that it could be brought up a level without issue. It has become the "STEP" for Fallout: New Vegas much like SR:LE has become the STEP alternative for Skyrim.

Actually I went more the srle direction but I made a copy of the page for safe keeping that was STEP-like before adding a bunch of stuff that would violate a STEP mandate. I don't know that it is really that popular. I get about ten posters to give feedback and half are STEP users or staff.

Actually I went more the srle direction but I made a copy of the page for safe keeping that was STEP-like before adding a bunch of stuff that would violate a STEP mandate. I don't know that it is really that popular. I get about ten posters to give feedback and half are STEP users or staff.

Let's not let that thread turn into another SR "pre-release feedback" mega-thread :P

Best to create a structure to prevent that I think. Will design and implement something soon.

Regardless, it's one of the most active single threads on the forum. I intend to use it once I start playing that game but I'm going to finally finish the Mass Effect Trilogy before doing so.

Let's not let that thread turn into another SR "pre-release feedback" mega-thread :P

Best to create a structure to prevent that I think. Will design and implement something soon.

I can just close it at a certain point, like 500 posts, and open a new thread.

There aren't really a ton of topics open in those subforums for other Beth games and unless my guide will grow the sub forum enough to really become a problem. If we get more game guides that expand to F3, Oblivion, Morrowind or even other specialized guides like TTW, Skywind, Skyblivion, Beyond Skyrim, Project Brazil.... All that stuff could grow the community in that direction, but we usually need a person to just go in there and get it done and others tend to follow. I swear I had a partial guide done for a year before I really decided to get something presentable done. If people hadn't had kept asking about it, then I wouldn't have done it.

I have to say that doing the whole thing on my own with just a few others giving suggestions and feedback is way more work than I thought. I thought helping out with the 2.2.8 release would prepare me for it, but that was pretty much 3 or 4 of us doing an update instead of building it from the ground up. I don't think I could even do it without Kelmych, roots, redishlord, brainfever, and anyone else that might be helping me here or a couple people that lurk the wiki and forums, but only PM on reddit. You end up looking at the list of stuff you have and all the mods that need testing and revision and the whole thing just seems insurmountable.

Another thing that could arise as that part grows is the need for more wiki space and specialization for things like guides and mod pages (maybe). I don't know that we are ready to take that on if we do, s4n does this stuff out of the kindness of his heart, not because someone pays him, so any expansion of the SMW stuff might be out of the question without a proper dev to take it one (not me). The one good thing about it, is that we could create mod pages or any pages, that they are done when they are done. Skyrim still has so much updating required for mods, but most older games have less updating required.

Anyways, I'm rambling about this.

Regardless, it's one of the most active single threads on the forum. I intend to use it once I start playing that game but I'm going to finally finish the Mass Effect Trilogy before doing so.

Yes, finishing things is good. I have started going through my Steam list and finishing or playing things I've had that I haven't gotten into yet, before buying a bunch of other stuff, except for Burial at Sea episode 2. Damn, I love playing as Elizabeth this time around, but I won't say anything about the story. Just finally finished up Spec Ops: The Line, damn that was good story for shooter. Anyways, any feedback is good and helps me make the guide better. Plus, working on this has separated me from Skyrim for a while and batteries have recharged, so I'm much more ready to get into 2.2.9.

I am just talking about creating the forum structure to support the future of our supporting different games.

SMW support could come at a later time once we completely finish config for Skyrim support. (long way off!)

Anyway, guide building is a challenge, and maintaining a guide like this and SR:LE is almost impossible, given all the mod changes and even paradigm shifts (unless several people dedicate themselves to that ... too much "other guide dev/maintenance" on this site is not ideal though, as we already have a challenge maintaining STEP ... but whatever. We need to let people do what they want and go with it more or less and hope that we get the help needed for STEP :P

I'll think about this though and create a forum method at least in order to make info management somewhat feasible and logical.

I can just close it at a certain point, like 500 posts, and open a new thread.

There aren't really a ton of topics open in those subforums for other Beth games and unless my guide will grow the sub forum enough to really become a problem. If we get more game guides that expand to F3, Oblivion, Morrowind or even other specialized guides like TTW, Skywind, Skyblivion, Beyond Skyrim, Project Brazil.... All that stuff could grow the community in that direction, but we usually need a person to just go in there and get it done and others tend to follow. I swear I had a partial guide done for a year before I really decided to get something presentable done. If people hadn't had kept asking about it, then I wouldn't have done it.

I have to say that doing the whole thing on my own with just a few others giving suggestions and feedback is way more work than I thought. I thought helping out with the 2.2.8 release would prepare me for it, but that was pretty much 3 or 4 of us doing an update instead of building it from the ground up. I don't think I could even do it without Kelmych, roots, redishlord, brainfever, and anyone else that might be helping me here or a couple people that lurk the wiki and forums, but only PM on reddit. You end up looking at the list of stuff you have and all the mods that need testing and revision and the whole thing just seems insurmountable.

Another thing that could arise as that part grows is the need for more wiki space and specialization for things like guides and mod pages (maybe). I don't know that we are ready to take that on if we do, s4n does this stuff out of the kindness of his heart, not because someone pays him, so any expansion of the SMW stuff might be out of the question without a proper dev to take it one (not me). The one good thing about it, is that we could create mod pages or any pages, that they are done when they are done. Skyrim still has so much updating required for mods, but most older games have less updating required.

Anyways, I'm rambling about this.

Yes, finishing things is good. I have started going through my Steam list and finishing or playing things I've had that I haven't gotten into yet, before buying a bunch of other stuff, except for Burial at Sea episode 2. Damn, I love playing as Elizabeth this time around, but I won't say anything about the story. Just finally finished up Spec Ops: The Line, damn that was good story for shooter. Anyways, any feedback is good and helps me make the guide better. Plus, working on this has separated me from Skyrim for a while and batteries have recharged, so I'm much more ready to get into 2.2.9.

This is great though. It's the heart of the cathedral view of modding and more often than not these projects turn out some really excellent and ingenious work. Not only are there many mods which provide proof this view works such as Requiem, but there are also other project such as STEP and the FNV guide. People come together to work on these projects simply because they care about them and what they are achieving. No money or prizes are involved. The reward is the product of the work being done. These type of things greatly inspire me! I wish the real world worked more in this way.

STEP has a proven methodology that works. Although our main focus is Skyrim (until the next Elder Scrolls is released), I can see the STEP forums becoming a hub for many other Guides for other games in the future. FNV is likely to be the next one if it really takes off and if it does, I can see a whole set of users with roles to management just that project as it is with STEP. Who knows, in a couple of years STEP could become a cornerstone to the modding community regardless of the game being modded, just as Nexus has become one now that they are open to all games. Just imagine... "STEP:Skyrim, STEP:FNV, STEP:Witcher3, STEP:MassEffect, STEP:Sims3" ...okay, maybe that last one was pushing it. :lol:

EDIT:

On 2.2.9.... just so you're and everyone is aware, I'm back into full swing (got tired of waiting on my new hard drive which never worked when it arrived). I've been pushing the testing threads along and have dropped or accepted a few already. I haven't made changes to reflect in the 2.2.9 changelog yet, but will soon. For now, I have it all recorded in my personal notes that I keep when doing new releases.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me to keep the forum structure simple and use tagging system to differentiate between hosted games.

This way, we could use the Mods forum and support threads as a common area relating to different games ... we can set up any forum with a tag requirement for all posts and use a predefined tag list (as prefixes or not) that requires members to choose a tag/prefix to apply to any new Mod (or other) topic.

This seems like the simplest way to manage without creating a crapload of rabbit holes (forums/threads) to dive into, each with a similar structure and function.

Topic categories where it would be obvious to implement:

• Town Crier
  • Republic of STEP
  • Support & Troubleshooting

It would be very easy to filter by game I think. I'd just need to see about the possibility of combining tag filters (i.e., Skyrim / testing, etc); however, this would not be a problem if we had no mod testing and the like for other games, but I would rather build that in up from for forward compat of the metadata structure.

I'll test in my VM and see how it could work. s4n would like this method more than complicating forum structure and creating potential reorg events in the future as needs expand.

The only other option would be to implement separate forum instances like the Nexus does. I am guessing that our IPB license does not cover this, but it might.

Yeah the Beth forums also do this bit they have a need for to break down franchise and then game.

As far as using the wiki, is it okay to make a couple mod pages for certain non-skyrim mods that need it to help shorten the guide I made or is that a problem? I don't want to use the form if it will cause a problem. I can just make a traditional page for some stuff if need be.

Aaah, so much constructive discussion! I'm really glad I kicked off this conversation with something that was a simple request in my eyes :)

I like to see that you (we) all think about progressing this community further, the world should be about creating, not destroying! 

TechAngel85, on 26 Mar 2014 - 1:46 PM, said:

... Who knows, in a couple of years STEP could become a cornerstone to the modding community regardless of the game being modded, just as Nexus has become one now that they are open to all games. Just imagine... "STEP:Skyrim, STEP:FNV, STEP:Witcher3, STEP:MassEffect, STEP:Sims3" ....

Perhaps STEP: Neverwinter? Maybe in time, dare I say, STEP: StarCitizen?

Edited by redirishlord