SOLVED: Unofficial Skyrim Patches breaking Vampire Body/Face Textures

Kuldebar

Question

Test Subject: Hert  Vampire NPC of Half-Moon Mill  (coc halfmoonmill)

OK, this is a clean save game made with only official game files no mod esp's or textures installed under test profile in Mod Organizer:

Posted Image

Now, here is the same clean save with all the Unofficial Patches installed and correctly sorted:

Posted Image

This irritates me to no end!

I spent 1-2 hours combing through face and body mods and combinations and overrides trying to figure out WTF was happening. I don't play vampire characters so my body/face mods are just for better detail, nudity etc.

So, in my previous games, running into vampires in dark dungeons and caves, I probably never even noticed this issue, but in the daylight with all my higher texture mods enabled, the mismatch is even more noticeable than what is shown in the screen shot above.

Anyway, I found out the Unofficial Patch files are introducing this mismatch in the Hert NPC, but I have no real way to ascertain if it is with all vampires, females and/or males and so forth.

Any one have any ideas or suggestions? Or a fix?

Edited by Kuldebar

Okay since this is apparently all the rage then I decided to just test it since I was fairly certain that I had no issues with my vampires skin... ever. 

Current testing profile is. 

Skyrim, Update, Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn (esm´s) followed by USKP, UDGP, UDBP, UHFP (esp)

Extracted unofficial patches as priority over Optimized official HDDLC. Nothing in archives section of MO selected. 

Issue is not present. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bil6gsj939alkxh/vampthingy.jpg

Tested on my main mod profile... Different skin textures for vampires so I did not expect any issues and there where none. 

So must admit that I am confused about this issue! :) 

I explained in detail over in the BSA ramifications thread ... I believe that you are unpacking your official DLC, so you would not have the issue. Just pretend you know nothing and install all mods with BSA extraction (except the DLC, because they are in the data directory and you just don't care about that stuff)

@Kludebar

You can reset the auto-BSA-extraction feature via the GUI by using the method described in the MO Guide FAQs, which I have also placed within the OP of the BSA ramifications thread.

Okay since this is apparently all the rage then I decided to just test it since I was fairly certain that I had no issues with my vampires skin... ever. 

Current testing profile is. 

Skyrim, Update, Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn (esm´s) followed by USKP, UDGP, UDBP, UHFP (esp)

Extracted unofficial patches as priority over Optimized official HDDLC. Nothing in archives section of MO selected. 

Issue is not present. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bil6gsj939alkxh/vampthingy.jpg

Tested on my main mod profile... Different skin textures for vampires so I did not expect any issues and there where none. 

So must admit that I am confused about this issue! :) 

Hey Aiyen,

Could you confirm that, as z9 suggested, you are extracting all BSAs - including the vanilla Skyrim and DLC BSAs?

I was going to post this in the other thread as a question, but I don't want to derail it with newbie-ish questions and I think you're doing exactly what I was thinking of doing:

Before I even knew about this newly-discovered issue with BSA extraction, I had been considering unpacking all my BSAs - including all the vanilla/DLC Skyrim BSAs.  Not for any great purpose, but simply because I was interested to see all of vanilla Skyrim's assets appear in my Conflicts tab, and see exactly what mods were overwriting what files from the vanilla game, versus official DLCs, versus files newly added by mods.

I didn't actually do that, because I thought it would end up being too much noise in my Conflicts tab (nearly every mod would show a Conflict icon, where before I could use that icon to decide which ones I needed to review), and also because I wasn't 100% sure if there was any problem from doing that.

So now I want to ask: is that what you're doing?    And therefore it's OK to do?

So:  I convert my vanilla/official-DLC assets into MO mods - making one mod for Skyrim, another each for DG, DB, HF - and in those mod archives I include both the ESMs and the BSAs.  Then I install those mods through MO, and it will extract those BSAs as normal.  Thus the vanilla/DLC game content is treated identically to all my other mods: 100% loose files.

Then in my Mod load order, I interleave the vanilla Skrim/DLC 'mods' with the Unofficial patches - as indeed MO's "Potential mod order load problem" warning would likely tell me to do, based on the LOOT sorting.    So my mod order would read:  Skyrim, USKP, Dawnguard, UDGP, Hearthfires, UHFP, Dragonborn, UDBP, HD DLC, HD DLC Patch, <rest of my mods>

My entire game - vanilla, DLC and mods - would now be loose files, and loaded in an order defined only by MO.  I would have 0 BSAs of any kind; my Archives tab would be empty (or all unchecked.)

So is that what you're doing? Are there any problems with doing that - besides having the extra clutter in the MO Conflicts tabs?   Are you unpacking all the Skyrim BSA files too (e.g. Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, -Meshes.bsa, etc), or only the DLCs?  You said you had nothing checked in Archives, so it sounds like all?

Thanks very much in advance!

Knew I should have left this alone! lol 

I have already put up a more detailed post in the other thread..... somewhere. It is going fast so. 

But yes in short I unpack all mods BSA´s and ONLY the textures.bsa´s of skyrim, and its DLC (Which are then optimized and fixed and put into their own mod folders and placed in the top of priority so that they are always the fallback). I do not touch all (meshes, scripts, and what have you) the others since there is no point. 

But again more details are in that other thread... of doom. Sorry had to add that! 

Alternatively you can read the skyrim revisited legendary guide... Neo says he does almost the same as I do. 

Hope that helps.. otherwise I am sure someone else will jump in soon enough! 

Thanks for the details, Aiyen!

And apologies for asking when you'd already explained.  I hadn't seen your other response, I came to that thread late and read page 8 onwards, so missed your post and quotes of it on page 6/7 :)  Sorry about that, I will read that post now and also check out SRLE.

Thanks again!

Sorry to necro bump this thread, but I recently installed Skyrim using MO and I am having this issue, where all the vampire NPC's are face tinted. I honestly do not understand 99% of what was being said about BSA extraction priorities and such. Would anyone be willing to provide me with some idiot proof instructions on how to fix this issue? Thanks!