Bashed patch, MO, BOSS...

Octopuss

Question

I understand I "need" this for levelled lists to work properly when there are different mods that change the same data. Allright.

But I am pretty confused how it comes together with BOSS (or LOOT) and MO.

Running WB from MO and rebuilding the patch is not a problem. But when I run BOSS/LOOT, numerous plugins have some bash tags suggestions, and I have no idea what to do with that.

I've also read somewhere that BOSS automatically adds those tags to the mods, BUT I don't get that (if it's true at all): how does that work, and what's added where? I don't see any changed files anywhere.

Some mods' instructions also say to add some tags.

So what am I really supposed to do, and in what order?

I really think that STEP guide page could use a bit more detailed description.

3 answers to this question

Wrye Bash reads the bash tags in the .txt file that BOSS/LOOT uses to sort your plugins and adds them to the plguins. You just have to generate a new Bashed Patch a make sure those mods are checked for those tags and 'BOOM' it will forward the parts of records those tags correspond to.

Do not depend on STEP to hold your hand through the explanation of everything. BOSS and Wrye Bash both have comprehensive readmes and many support threads on the nexus and beth forums to ask questions and seek out info. We would need at least double the amount of contributors to the STEP wiki to cover all the info involved.

Yes, but you have to admit it looks weird when people use Mod Organizer, and suddenly there are instructions to use completely different mod manager, and create some sort of weird patch with some tags in it, without a single word of explanation WHY and what is the process good for.

It does not matter how many millions of threads are over at Nexus or anywhere else, people end up here because they intend to use the STEP guide. Noone is asking for holdig a hand, but there is huge difference between no explanation whatsoever and ten pages long novel.

Oh and btw, after creating the patch exactly the way it's said on the wiki page, I ended up with wrong names for silver clutter. Just saying.

Edited by Octopuss

I've never had an issue with the silver like you had, so check that you checked all the correct mods USKP and WAF (and probably CCF if you have it) in the Names part of the Bashed Patch menu.

The Pre-Install notes clearly states that we want users to read the readme. This is a much better solution to users that want the knowledge of what they are doing. To add in more to the guide works against what we are trying to do by streamlining the guide and making it much easier to use. We took the long form approach for a while and figured out it causes way more issues.