Question About Installation

Paperfrog

Question

Hi, everyone. I'm extremely new to STEP and I'm somewhat of an infant when it comes to modding Skyrim, but I've been able to successfully install some texture mods, some ENBs, the unofficial patches, etc. I'm sick of there always being random unmodified textures around the world and of course no one has compiled a list of mods that sufficiently encompasses all textures, so STEP looks like the right thing for me, being that it's a user-refined list of mods that covers just about everything. STEP also appears to address many bugs in Skyrim that have bothered me for the longest time (I won't delve into specifics now, but the list impresses me).

I've gone through every step in the installation process up until the list of mods. I'm not sure what I expected when I reached that point in the installation, but do I seriously need to go through every mod in the list individually? I have all of the DLCs and prerequisites for every mod, I downloaded the first 6 or 7, then I wondered whether the whole process is worth it (at least they are in order of priority, but !@#$ that list is huge). I'm interested in the entirety of the STEP Core and potentially the extended list (I haven't looked too deeply into the rest of the mods yet). Is there a package that includes all of the mods in the core or are there any tips/secrets I'm not in on? The wiki is huge and I've skimmed a majority of it, but even then, I couldn't possibly read everything so it's possible that there's something I missed.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Nope, no packs for STEP. This would require permission from each mod author in the STEP list, which is very difficult to do with so many mods.

You really do have to go through everything one by one, and it will take a long time (for me usually a week or 2). Thats the price you need to pay for the most stable and best mod guide there is. Once you go beyond just STEP and add your own mods it takes even longer, since you have to be much more careful about potential mod conflicts. Its entirely possible to spend a month setting up a custom mod setup, especially if you are new to it.

Yup, go through it. Now, it takes me less than 4 hours to complete a step core install provided that all packages are downloaded. A skyrim revisited install 8-12 hours, depending on how fast I am with TESVEDIT. You'll get a lot faster with time, however you'll still spend more time modding than playing.