Image hosting

Octopuss

Copy works like Dropbox where you drag and drop into the copy folder, but if you install the app it adds options to the right click menu that will load the address to your clipboard for easy pasting.

Soo....nearly a Google Drive clone. Right click on a Google Drive file allows you view it on the web or bring up the share windows to copy and paste the URL, change its access permissions or share the file with specific people via email.

When I upload files to Google Drive, are they publicly visible anywhere by default? If yes, how do I make entire folders private?

They are by default, private. You can changed this by right clicking on the file, hover over "share", and then click on "share". it will open a windows with the link. Below the link you can change the permissions.

Ok someone please tell me how do I get a direct link to a file uploaded to the Drive. I can't seeem to get it to work.

Even if I set a folder to "anyone with a link" and then share a file, I get links like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6U_nmGva2Z2TzFPYjJDS0dhQlE/edit?usp=sharing

Same as above. The link is provided in the share window.

EDIT:

Nevermind... the admins seem to be forcing extensions now because it's worked before using that link...now it's not.  :angry:  This is very inconvenient and annoying being forced to use a different service as I've used Google for this for well over 6 months.

• 1 month later...

Just in case someone was still undecided, I thought to bring Mediafire up again. It's much better than I originally though. I switched "back" after being unhappy with all other alternatives I tried. I only use it for sharing links though, but it seems new features regaring photos are coming, so in the end it might be pefect (for me at least).

After I made the switch and a bit of digging in the features, I realized the sharing options are really extensive, and support just about anything you can think of. Direct links, various pre-formatted BBcodes (that one I like the most), various social network stuff (which I don't use so no idea how useful it might be), one time links, etc.

By default and for free you get 10GB, which can be upgraded to 1TB (along with other bonuses) for $5 a month (half as much for the first time you subscribe if I understand correctly, and you can pay for a year in advance, so the discount seems to be very interesting).

There are some ads (and I believe they only show up when you download things, so it might not even be relevant) which you can block with Adblock Plus if you don't mind the "copy link" buttons not working properly (they don't most of the time anyway) and doing it manually.

It has pretty nice flash uploader which can do multiple files at once, and you can also switch to html version if you don't like it. You can create seemingly unlimited folder structure and rename, move, share both individual files and entire folders as you like.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• +1 1

• 3 weeks later...

...balls.

I've only just figured the free version of Mediafire doesn't let you direct link images in their original sizes. Normal links with all those interface icons still work, though.

I guess that makes the site useless for most potential users. $5 a month for that is a bit too much. And I thought I found the hosting I was looking for. F...

Edited by Octopuss

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just wanted to point out a little tool called ShareX. It can be configured to use virtually any host you want (including personal FTP servers,) and then you can use hotkeys to upload files and screengrabs. It will then automatically place the url in your clipboard so you can paste easily. To people who find Google Drive kind of annoying this may be something to take the edge off; you can use ShareX to upload any images and automatically get the URL in your clipboard. I currently use it in conjuction with Dropbox.

Also Dropbox does have Gallery support, and I do believe you need to have the link to access the gallery. That might suit you. Though I'm assuming you've already experimented with that extensively.

Edited by sgtnapalm

• 9 months later...

I am going mental over Mediafire lately. I am this close to ditching it, because unless I pay on monthly basis, no direct links to images. Unfortunately, the forum software STEP runs on is absolutely imcompatible. It just ignores some of the BB code and creates a thumbnail from what already is a thumbnail or something :(

This works perfectly fine for example on Nexus

[url=https://www.mediafire.com/view/?q0ujjtt9hj8bmsf][img=https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/22fc/q0ujjtt9hj8bmsf4g.jpg][/URL]

Here, clicking on the link only opens the thumbnail in new window :( I don't suppose anyone from the admins could look into possibilities of changing this somehow?

That's not what I originally wanted to post though.

Does anyone know of file sharing service that works for images, but is not primarily a photo/image hosting site? One where you can organize files into as many subfolders as you like, direct links work, and the interface is comfortable to use (Imgur for example is extremely awkward).