Gemling Queen Jewelry (by Saerileth)

CJ2311

I know what you mean! I have it the same way... texturing if fun when you know wtf you are doing! Once you have to sit and try out several different layer techniques to figure out what works best then it gets annoying. At least there are many many many tutorials with inspiration! 

As for the crystal then no... like so much of my stuff I think it is sort of meh! In this particular case I had a location full of teal crystals... and I really hate how liberal the developers have been in their use of teal in skyrim.. it almost never fits in and just looks... bad imo. So I had to fix it! 

here is a shot of it. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7c9ogwbtqsp2df/crystal1.jpg

My fomod-installer is up, and it includes the new ring textures by Gamwich. They come in several variations, I'll post some comparison screens below. Could someone check if the installer is really working as intended? I did test it, but the coding is a bit tricky. Better safe than sorry.

SMIM textures:

Posted Image

Gamwich's textures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The combined version uses the finer, more detailed option 1 for the gold rings, and the heavier knotwork from option 2 for silver. The textures also come in two different resolutions, 2048x1024 (same as SMIM) or 1024x512. Personally I think a 2k texture is massively overkill for such a small object, you really can't see the difference ingame, but some people are peculiar about their high-res needs.

@Aiyen: That looks lovely. A bit too purple for my tastes (I'm extremely sensitive to purple, and just don't like that colour very much), but definitely an improvement over vanilla.

• 1 month later...

I haven't found any info on that yet so I'll post my question here. Should we install this before or after "Clothing and Clutter Fixes"? MO shows 7 conflicting circlet meshfiles between the 2 mods.

Comparison screenshots for circlet8.nif:

Gemling Queen: https://s14.directupload.net/images/140711/y6rty8va.jpg

Clothing and Clutter Fixes: https://s1.directupload.net/images/140711/urdzk3uq.jpg

It looks like the meshes are exactly the same, except for the gem...

Edited by blattgeist

You want the meshes from this mod... since the gems are the main attraction. The reason they differ is because of different shader settings on those specific parts of the meshes. 

In general if a mod you want to use offers meshes you always want the meshes from the mod to win any conflict or they wont be used ingame. 

You want the meshes from this mod... since the gems are the main attraction.

That answers the question.

In general if a mod you want to use offers meshes you always want the meshes from the mod to win any conflict or they wont be used ingame.

That's kinda obvious, right?  :;):  But if 2 mods provide meshes that are conflicting with each other a decision has to be made which mod's meshes to favor. After all a mod does not include them without a good reason. Seeing that this mod is all about the gems tells me which mod's meshes to favor of course (CCF vs Gemling).

Thanks.

Edited by blattgeist

The circlet meshes included in CCF are simply copies of the fixed meshes from USKP.  I'm pretty sure that the Gemling Queen circlets also use those fixed meshes as a base, so you aren't losing anything by overwriting CCF with the Gemling Queen meshes and you're gaining Saerileth's beautiful gemstones.

• 3 months later...

Gemling Queen Jewelry has been updated with three new meshes from the Dawnguard DLC (replacing the Amulet of Bats, Ring of the Beast and Ring of Erudite meshes). Here are some screens:

Posted Image

I don't know if the STEP guide would need to be updated for this, as the content is packaged into a new option in the fomod-installer. Also, there might be some debate on whether or not to include them in Core at all, since in addition to the improved geometry the gems also feature animated texture effects that aren't exactly faithful to vanilla. Specifically:

- Ring of the Beast: swirling red specks right beneath the surface, befitting an implement of blood magic.
- Ring of Erudite: slow, irregular pulsing and slightly shifting colours to hint at the magicka reservoir within.
- Amulet of the Bat: malevolent twinkle in the back of the skull's eyes.

All of these effects are fairly subtle and I think they fit in well with the lore of these objects, they transform the otherwise bland five-sided stones into something very unique. But that is of course a matter of personal taste, so I'll leave that up to STEP staff. I can't really post comparison screens for these, you'll have to check the animations out ingame.

Also I might mention that I've taken some liberties in the vertex painting of the Ring of Erudite compared to vanilla, but I figured the original was limited by the low vertex count, rather than by design. Again, it's up for debate, just compare the two ingame.

Oh, and I almost forgot - these new meshes are rigged to the ring finger of the right hand, rather than the index finger as the originals and virtually any other vanilla rings are. This was mostly out of necessity, since there is only a _1 mesh for rings (they don't react to the weight slider) this was the only finger my meshes wouldn't look strange on, either too small at 100% weight or too big at 0%. Vanilla solves this problem by simply letting the upper part of the ring clip slightly into the finger at higher weight, but that wouldn't work with the transparent insides of my gems. I think they look nice there, and it's not something many people will notice at all.

Edited by Saerileth

At the moment there are only the Amulets listed under the Main Modules Table in the detailed Instructions. Shouldn't there be Rings and Circlets be listed too? At least there are also opions listed for Rings which only are necessary if you select Rings under the Main Modules.

Edited by werewulfking

At the moment there are only the Amulets listed under the Main Modules Table in the detailed Instructions. Shouldn't there be Rings and Circlets be listed too? At least there are also opions listed for Rings which only are necessary if you select Rings under the Main Modules.

Good looking out! I had them defined incorrectly in the new FOMOD template (still learning how to use it). It's fixed now.

• 3 months later...

I noticed this mod was updated in January, and has a new Mesh Pack option "Vampire Beast Blood Ring Left Hand" mod by jjeeff185.

I assume this is not covered in STEP, and updated the FOMOD Instructions accordingly.

The FOMOD template is easy to use, so long as I'm only adding to an established table!  ::D:

It looks a lot better than the old one, unless I'm getting them confused haha

I like the way it mimics the look of the FOMOD installer.

The more a guide looks like the thing it's guiding you to do, the better.

I wouldn't be able to make one from scratch easily, but the beauty of wiki is that all I need to do is copy and paste, and update the data.