Gemling Queen Jewelry (by Saerileth)

CJ2311

Saerileth, on 13 Apr 2014 - 4:34 PM, said:

But then wouldn't we have to adjust the smithing recipes to require more gemstones? Or would the Dragonborn sort of grind down one large gem into several smaller ones? Either way, I've kinda grown attached to this design... put a lot of work into it, and while flipping it is a matter of two clicks, changing the arrangement of stones can be rather time-consuming. But I really like your idea. Tell ye what, I'll stay with this for Gemling Queen Jewelry and make you a 6-ring version for CCOR later (by the way, haven't forgotten about all the other meshes I've promised you, I'll get on with that once my amulet replacer is done).

I think I'll use Option 2 for the gold amethyst necklace and Option 1 for silver ruby/garnet. Adds a bit of variety, which can't hurt.

Outstanding, as I was unable to choose a favorite myself.

Does this mean an additional variant craftable through CCOR? Because even more variation is even better, or am I assuming too much?

But then wouldn't we have to adjust the smithing recipes to require more gemstones? Or would the Dragonborn sort of grind down one large gem into several smaller ones? Either way, I've kinda grown attached to this design... put a lot of work into it, and while flipping it is a matter of two clicks, changing the arrangement of stones can be rather time-consuming. But I really like your idea. Tell ye what, I'll stay with this for Gemling Queen Jewelry and make you a 6-ring version for CCOR later (by the way, haven't forgotten about all the other meshes I've promised you, I'll get on with that once my amulet replacer is done).

I think I'll use Option 2 for the gold amethyst necklace and Option 1 for silver ruby/garnet. Adds a bit of variety, which can't hurt.

No worries; I think the design you made looks nice.  If I come up with some new textures for CCO, I'll see if they can be designed to work specifically with your new stone arrangement.  Of course, I would never say 'no' to additional jewelry variations for CCO.  :)  And, yeah, I would probably use the same number of gems in the recipes, just with the assumption that the stones were being cut into more & smaller pieces.  If it's a lot of work, though, then you may prefer to put the effort into something more unique, rather than simply another variation of the vanilla design.  Either way, I'll be happy to include anything you're willing to make.  :D

redirishlord, on 13 Apr 2014 - 8:51 PM, said:Outstanding, as I was unable to choose a favorite myself.Does this mean an additional variant craftable through CCOR? Because even more variation is even better, or am I assuming too much?

We have a few plans that would expand the range of jewelry with significantly more combinations of different materials and gemstones. 

@redirishlord: Let's say probably, I know myself too well for a maybe but as always, no promises. :D kryptopyr and I do have plans for CCOR, as she said.

@kryptopyr: Dedicated textures would be awesome! I can't usually say what I prefer to sink my time into in advance, I tend to go with whichever fancy strikes me. We'lll see.

@Garfink: Thank you. :) I got that mickey-vibe the moment I arranged the stones that way, this is why I flipped it upside down in the first place. Didn't want to mention it, because once you see it, you can't un-see it :D

@phazer11: Almost missed your post. The chain you see is actually all in the textures/normal maps, those are from Jewels of the Nord in my screens. I hardly modified that part of the mesh, apart from smoothing things out a bit to make it look less blocky. I don't think it's supposed to be a simple chain link, more something fancy like this byzantine style:

Posted Image

Dunno how the Dragonborn is supposed to craft that, those are usually machine-made. But hey - it's fantasy. Either way, if you use vanilla textures you'll get the default rope necklace, so I can't change it too much or it'll look strange for people without texture replacers.

Edited by Saerileth

but, I thought it was the club for you & I,

M. I. C.

K. E. Y.

Mickey mouse, sing it with me.

and now it can't be unheard either.

Back on topic, I'm thrilled that great modders/mods I am already enjoying are collaborating, great work is sure to follow. Thanks you both for your contributions to Skyrim, they are appreciated.

Leave it to american culture to brand a simple arrangements of dots into our cultural memory so deeply that the design is ruined for all other purposes. -.-

At least I can argue that nords wouldn't know about Mickey. :D

Edited by Saerileth

Folks, I've hit a wall with the equipped amulet meshes. They look just fine on 0 and 100 weight, but inbetween this happens:

Posted Image

I have no idea why this is happening or how to fix it. This is frustrating to no end... I like modelling, but I really, really hate rigging.

Edited by Saerileth

That doesn't make since. Doubt you edited anything that would cause problems with how it's applied to the body....however, Skyrim is a funny creature. You'd think the armors would just wrap around the body. Nope, they include the entire body mesh with them... :O_o: why...? Limits of the engine used I suppose. Hope you can get this figured out. My only suggestion is to reference another mod that alters the amulets and compare the differences to figure out what is causing the wackiness.

Actually, rigging changes everything about how the mesh is applied to the body. Skyrim uses a BSDismemberedSkin node that stores for each vertex of your mesh where it goes when this or that bone moves. This is why I need to re-rig the amulets and rings every single time I change something, the moment I add a new vertex I would be missing this information. For the amulets Skyrim actually has two different meshes, one for 0 weight and one for 100. It interpolates between the two for any weight inbetween. Now my guess is somehow my meshes got mismatched, so now Skyrim is confused about which face goes where. But how to fix it? No idea. Let's see if someone on the Nexus forums is willing to help.

Hope the technobabble isn't too confusing. Skyrim's engine is peculiar indeed, and I am way too impatient to deal with all this tedious stuff. I just wan't to mod! Argh.

Saerileth, on 14 Apr 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:Saerileth, on 14 Apr 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:Saerileth, on 14 Apr 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:Saerileth, on 14 Apr 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:Saerileth, on 14 Apr 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:Saerileth, on 14 Apr 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

Folks, I've hit a wall with the equipped amulet meshes. They look just fine on 0 and 100 weight, but inbetween this happens:

Posted Image

I have no idea why this is happening or how to fix it. This is frustrating to no end... I like modelling, but I really, really hate rigging.

OK, solution, havok/physics treatment for all amulets and pendants...you know, so they will react to gravity? ::D:

EDIT: to seriousness and gravitas:

This issue is insurmountable by any practical/justifiable efforts. Past Jewelry makers for Skyrim have "bulked" up the jewelry item (shorter chains, bigger links, bulkier chain elements, larger beads, etc) so that it would clip (in a controlled manner) some body weight types while still being visible in order to accommodate other body weight scales.

The compromise was jewelry a pimp might be proud of... or perhaps just someone who really likes their fabulous costume jewelry:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Skyrim issues:

Posted Image

Bigger baubles:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Kuldebar

@Kuldebar: I don't quite understand what you're getting at. The amulets I am currently working with (e.g. Gold Diamond Necklace) look just fine in vanilla, they scale nicely with the weight slider. Anyway, my problem has nothing to do with clipping of the body, it's just that the _0 and _1 meshes don't match.

I'm not getting any help at all on the Nexus forums, which is rather disappointing - it's not the first time my posts have been completely ignored. I can't be the only one having this problem, someone must know how to make proper, matching low/high weight meshes, or there wouldn't be so many custom armor mods out there. I remember the Morrowind crowd used to be a lot more helpful... nowadays modders don't share their "trade secrets" anymore.

Edit: I had the solution right in front of my eyes, and just didn't see it - instead of searching for "weight slider" or "rigging" I should've just looked for armor modelling tutorials. Found one that puts it quite nicely - I cannot just mix and match different parts for the _1 mesh, naturally they will become mismatched. I need to take my _0 mesh and manually match it to the high weight body. This will be tedious, but I'm getting used to the fact that nothing is ever simple with Skyrim.

Edited by Saerileth
  • +1 2

Modders are people and there are all sorts.  I have found specific modders are super busy but super helpful and I often find I can get answers on their forums for other mods!  There are those that are super jealous of their stuff... oh well... at least they are share their end-result mods.  And then there are those silent types that don't respond to anything.  I appreciate them all as a strict end-user that hasn't even opened CK even once.  

I've noticed that the forums on the nexus are poorly organized and there isn't much cross referencing, so you simply can't get your questions seen by the right people.

As for this forum, everyone is super helpful, enthusiastic and dedicated.  The only limitation is the size of the population here means that not all your questions can be answered.

Edited by Garfink