Immersive NPC in the Dark (by hacknpaint)

Ganda

I decided to do something different instead of uninstalling this mod altogether.  So, after cleaning my save with the previously mentioned tool, I went in to the game and noticed all the guards that weren't using torches like they should be in the dark outside of Whiterun STILL not using torches like they should be without this mod.  So I tried using the "resurrect" console command on them and that worked - recreated them with the torches they should have had.  So, like a clothing replacer this mod kind of works, where once you install and then remove the mod apparently you have to manually refresh the NPCs to get them "wearing" what they should be "wearing" (in this case - which light source they should be equipping)?  It seems - unless someone knows something I don't.  Anyway, that's kind of a pain in the a** to go around refreshing everyone I already "activated" in the game and I REALLY missed the benefits of the mod.  So I decided to try reinstalling it from the clean save.  It works again.  If things start getting messed up again in the future.  I'll try my best to take note of EXACTLY when and what causes it, mention it here and to the mod author, and then I'll do the same clean save and re-install mod routine again to spank it around a bit to get it going again.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I uninstalled it too, loved the idea and when it was working it was great.  Just the implementation didn't seem fleshed out, I had invisible torches very quickly into the game.  Maybe it was a conflict with better stealth for NPCs but I can't live without that mod.  So bye bye to this mod.

Hacknpaint seemed to making a lot of progress quickly, but he suddenly disappeared and I haven't seen him commenting or updating his mod for weeks.  I hope he comes back.

EDIT:  I think that having NPCs use lights, even the wearable lanterns, makes an incredible (and good) difference to the game when using a realistic lighting mod (that makes darkness actually dark).

Edited by oqhansoloqo

• 2 months later...

Anyone know of any other mod that does something similar to this one?

I thought this mod was a highly promising mod.  It has a lot of potential, but the author went MIA before he polished it up sufficiently.  On my next play through with modified 2.2.9 I will not be running this mod, because it creates too many weird situations with NPCs not using light sources properly for me.  Namely guards, at some point, start acting very flaky about torch usage altogether.  But it's a REAL shame, because this mod fulfilled a MUCH needed gap between realistic lighting mods and the immersive (it makes sense that they use lights when it's too dark to see) and functional (you can see them when they fight you because they use light, so you have a chance to fight back) ability of NPCs to see in the dark.

I've used the following mods which are peripherally related to this discussion:

• Stealth Skills Rebalanced:  "Light has a much greater effect on your ability to remain undetected. Stay in the shadows and avoid brightly lit areas."  But I guess once you are found maybe the enemies don't have trouble seeing you anymore in the dark.
  • Better Torches:  Provides greater radius for the torch illuminations.
  • Realistic Lighting Overhaul (RLO):  I *think* this causes guards to carry torches.  At least they do in my game.  There is a version of one of the plugs called "No guard torches" which makes me think this is true (I don't use that plugin, I use the regular one).