Frequent CTDs

Octopuss

Question

Reader beware. There is a lot of misinformation on this thread, so please read the closing post before continuing.

This thread is a great source for instructing novice modders as to how difficult and tedious it can be to create a custom modded setup.

STEP

Even with 4GB card and ENBoost, I am crashing like no tomorrow with this game. Like someone pointed out in other thread, it's probably not related to memory problems (I've just CTDed after fast travelling) but rather mods incompatibility or something like that.

I currently do not use higher ugrids (with all the mods I have, I could run with 9 without any apparent problems in the previous game). I have SKSE 1.7 alpha installed and use the memory patch settings.

Does anyone see anything horribly wrong with my load order (it's 99% done by BOSS, I only switched Realistic Weapons positions after DSR patch as suggested on Nexus)?

I feel your pain.

I started having repeatable CTD's on the Windhelm bridge after installing Snow Shader Fix (which is pretty freakin' awesome, BTW) The good news for me, is that it was a new problem that I could easily trace to a particular mod addition.

The effort continues. I've just removed Better Towns Textures, because I've realized no matter how patched, it's still incompatible with ETaC. Plus, the author told me he is retired from modding - at least for now.

I will also start a new game probably in a week, after new version of Civil War Overhaul is released. I hope that (new game, not CWO) will help as well, because I did some questionable changes to the current game a few times.

Its probably mod conflicts. I would learn how to make a conflict resolution patch using TES5Edit. A good guide is SR:LE, which has a whole wiki page dedicated to creating this patch. It gives a good idea how to look for conflicts and how to resolve them. With enough practice you can resolve conflicts with mods that are not in the SR:LE or STEP guide. Watch the youtube vid on TES5Edit conflict search as well. A list of records that do not need conflict resolution can be found on the STEP forums somewhere. Additionally, in the newest Wrye Bash html guide, there is a list of most records and what they mean; invaluable if your wondering what this conflicting record actually does.

This really helps reduce CTDs post ENBoost/ Memory Patch. IMO its a must do operation if you are adding mods on top of STEP.

Edited by MadWizard25

Octopuss, you've obviously introduced something that has destabilized your Skyrim game, can you backtrack your mod additions to narrow it down?

Yes, there's still room for operator error on your part if you fat fingered something or deleted something in a momentary loss of sanity, but usually (assuming you had a stable CTD-free mod build) it's going to come down to that one mod you added or one patch you failed to add.

That gives me an idea, I think I'm gonna start adding date/time to my mod folders so I can keep better track of chronological information for troubleshooting purposes.

Edited by Kuldebar

With how random the crashes are, I don't think there's any way to find the cause in reasonable amount of time, I'm afraid. You know, they are really random and there's never any pattern to them. Sometimes I crash 3 times in a row when quickloading a game, and then everything is perfectly fine for two hours straight.

MO does have installation date column I believe, btw.

If it can help you or anybody else I can share my experience : I have around 200 pluggins and no crash at all . Did you try to install CleanMem and follow the guide from Skyrim project Stablity? https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32363/?

I did and it really helped my gameplay. I dont have a super bomb computer but still using high rez textures and everything's good and smooth. You certainly have a major load order problem..

Nope, please don't suggest that. Cleanmem and similiar would just be bull honkey for stabilizing Skyrim - stuff like the Skyrim Memory Patch and ENBoost actually changes how Skyrim handles memory, thrus ensuring a more stable game.You really should read this thread before you think about suggesting memory optimizers like Cleanmem.

Well is worked for me because I had severe crash/freeze probs before. To each it's own. I'll read the thread you've linked carefully but thought I had to share my experience.

**even if it's a placebo effect I'll continu using it.. it cannot be worst than what's he is acutally experiencing. At least he could try it if it does not help then ok simply dont run skyrim with it in background :)

Edited by Ezekiel33

I use CleanMen, been using it for years, started using its close cousin (*ClearMem) back when it was originally posted at the developer's blog site after it had got the attention of several PC magazine articles.

It does what it says it does, nothing magical or "hokey". I think people get it confused with all the garbage apps out there that actually do nothing or worse, do harm. It's not a cure all, but it does help in certain situations.

CleanMem didn't single-handedly solve my Skyrim issues, but it didn't hurt it either.

I use it for any long running session applications, like when I'm playing an MMO or any other game.

From the CleanMem dev:

CleanMem works in a matter of about 5 seconds. It uses a Windows API call that is in Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista & 2008 that tells Windows to clean up the workspace of a process thus freeing up any memory the process no longer needs. Other memory cleaners end up forcing the memory into the page file slowing down your system.

This tool does not. The API call frees up unused memory from programs. When a program needs the memory again, it can simply take it back instead of forcing the memory out of ram and into the page file. This is the same API used by Microsoft in its empty.exe in the Windows 2003 Resource kit. This is also the same API that all .NET programs use by default when you minimize them and their memory lowers. So now instead of being just for .NET, Cleanmem lets you use it on all your programs.

ClearMem is a related utility in design and function:

The working set is a set of memory pages. It is all the physical pages "owned" by a process. Each memory page can be:

• Shared – memory that is shared with some other process or processes. If these other processes are usually running (for example, services.exe or explorer.exe) then the effect of these pages can be ignored as removing them from the working set would not free any pages because they will still be in use.
  • Shareable – memory that could potentially be shared with another process but is not. This memory is not shared because there is no demand for its content anywhere else.
  • Private – memory which cannot be shared.

https://www.tburke.net/info/reskittools/topics/clearmem.htm

Clearmem.exe - Clear Memory
Clear Memory (ClearMem) is a command-line tool that determines the size of the computer's physical memory, allocates enough data to fill it, and references the data as quickly as possible. ClearMem also accesses files to clear the cache. This reduces, to a minimum, the memory available to other processes. Then, the Clear Memory tool releases the allocated memory to restore normal system functions. Works on all versions of Windows starting with Windows 95.

Advice is nice, and always welcome, but some things aren't black and white. ClearMem is a programmers tool from Microsoft, like any tool it can be used incorrectly. It's functionality is used in CleanMem.

For users that have other stuff going on on their PC's ClearMem usage could r etard (seriously censored?) performance because it clears ram for those other processes sometimes inefficiently.

After reading some posts in this thread, Octopuss seems to be in need of taking another at some of the mods he uses and also revisiting his Sheson Memory Allocation settings as well as his ENBlocal.ini.

Edited by Kuldebar

I downgraded from SKSE 1.7 to 1.6 with the patched dll, and still get occasional CTDs. Nothing wrong with the memory patch.

Nothing wrong with my ENB settings either.

It's just some random mod problem I can't really troubleshoot. I guess I will live with it, it's playable enough.