Helmet in characted creation

Octopuss

Question

Anyone ever had iron horned helmed visible during characted creation? It has happened for the 2nd time to me, and I just can't figure out what could be the cause. It's definitely not caused by Racemenu, disabling it makes no difference.

So much weird stuff happening to me!

I think Aiyen has the right idea.  It's probably easiest to just wait until you enter Helgen keep.  However, I suspect that this problem could probably be solved by editing the default outfit for the Player (of course that means editing the Player record, which may or may not be worth whatever potential mod conflicts that might cause).  The player character's default outfit is actually a full set of iron armor.  The prisoner clothes are given to the player via a quest alias in MQ101.I've not been able to find a correlation between this bug and any mods that edit either the Player or MQ101, but the problem has to rest in how those two records are getting implemented in the game.  I know that the quest alias is getting filled because it also controls the player walking to the chopping block, but for whatever reason either the alias inventory is not getting set properly or is getting overwritten and reverting to the actor's default outfit.I wonder if having a bunch of mods all starting up at once and trying to simultaneously fill a bunch of different aliases with the player character might cause this issue.  There are a LOT of mods that create player-filled aliases.  Player aliases are suppose to help prevent conflicts when making edits to the player; they're also the best way to add scripts that are intended to trigger off of certain events, such as loading the game (for this reason, every mod with an MCM menu has a player alias).  But this means that there are a ton of mods that are all starting up at the beginning of the game and force-filling their aliases with the exact same actor.

Every time it happened to me, I'll admit I had a ton of mods active (250+ish). It seems to occur regardless of specific mods for me (I tried disabling ASIS, Dual Sheath Redux, ACE/Deadly Combat/SSR, didn't matter still occured). Starting through Live Another Life seems the best solutuion, avoids the Helgen sequence until after character creation (or entirely depending on the start scenario you choose). 

It's only ever happened for me in a heavily modded game.  I've never been able to recreate the problem with only a handful of mods or with only SSR installed (I spent a lot of time trying to identify and recreate this issue with SSR).

I could create a file editing the player's default outfit to the prisoner clothes.  If anyone is interested enough and would like to try it, just let me know.

• +1 1

The funny thing is that sometimes while starting with "Live Another Live" I may have the iron armor on my body but it's not visible on the character. Well that's only in the rare occasions that the bug appears at all. And I know that it's against advice but I always start my game with all mods active. I simply want to have it "complete" when beginning the journey. If somehow a mod does not register a mcm menu then I simply restart the ride (or the game with LAL for that reason).

@Kryptopyr I think such a mod would not cause any problems. It's after all only a default outfit change, right? We could make the player wear a pink dress and a little crown lol. Just kidding. Would it be dangerous to remove that file after the player is done with the intro?

Edited by blattgeist

Here's the file for anyone who wants to try it out.  There shouldn't be any issues with uninstalling it after start.  There are no scripts.  All this file does is edit the player record to change the default outfit from FullIronSet to a customized PrisonerOutfit.  It also removes the iron weapons from the player's default inventory items.

You may want to double-check in TES5Edit that you don't have any other mods that edit the player record.  I know that Balanced Magic does, but it's the only mod in my load order that alters this record directly. 

• +1 1

Thanks for the file, I will check it out. DUEL has a player record entry too. That's one of the 7 ITMs in the mod. All are safe to clean according to the mod author.

Btw. I think you should release that file as a mod. There may be some need for it among other people that don't want to deal with the bug.

Edited by blattgeist

I had this happen to me too. I uninstalled Character Creation Overhaul and installed it again and it fixed the problem immediately. But from what everyone is saying it seems kind of random.

Between i read here that it is not recommended to start a new game with a lot of mods active??? Why is that? I thought it was far better having everything i will be using for an entire playthrow installed and active from the get go. I have 134 plugins and 25 in game mod´s menus by the way.