No Snow Under the Roof (by Prometheus)

Allsunday

This might be the best course of action keithinhanoi, as I don't think prometheus is interested in trying to provide compatibility. I love his mod but he appears more interested in endorsements and votes.

Is he the equivalent of a Reddit Karma  w h o r e, but on the Nexus? 

Edited by DoYouEvenModBro

I didn't originally believe it, but reading the comments I am thinking WTF?

So far the mod is completed, has no bugs , and is finalized .

IF !!people will show enough appreciation I will decide if improve it with some missing elements in future and/or if release further spin offs from Issgard as standalone mods.

I thought people made mods because they enjoyed doing so?

Edited by Octopuss

Lol he's basically saying "endorse me or I won't fix it." What a jerk off. 

It's pretty sad, because the mod IS awesome, and the guy clearly does have some skills, but this kind of attitude... I saw it somewhere, sometime, in a galaxy not so far away.

Guys, let's talk about the mod, not about the modder's supposed attitude.

Back on topic, what would be great would be to expand this to where the state of snow under the roof was dynamic, so as that after every snow storm the people would have to shovel the snow off their houses before it would be clear.

Guys, let's talk about the mod, not about the modder's supposed attitude.Back on topic, what would be great would be to expand this to where the state of snow under the roof was dynamic, so as that after every snow storm the people would have to shovel the snow off their houses before it would be clear.

What would be easier to implement, would be that the people just take out a broom and swipe around their houses. There's already an animation for that, can't say I've seen sb in Skyrim shovelling yet...

Prometheus is a legendarily tough author to work with, and he really doesn't think to check his stuff in TES5Edit before release, as evidenced by the dirty edits in his mod. In fact, earlier, I tried to make him aware of the fact that his mods had some cell-record erasing edits (complete with an "Unknown 15" in the header). He was very resistant to change it - I ended up having to add a "may be edited with TESVSnip" message to all the relevant mod records in the BOSS masterlist, and eventually provide fixed versions of the mods to him (with additional explanations). And even then, he didn't merge them into the main files of his mods, firstly using my Dropbox links (which would massively hit my bandwidth there), then he just uploaded them into a explicitly un-NMM/un-MO downloadable file for whatever reason (even through there was none).

EDIT AFTER THE WHOLE DRAMA: This was one of the posts cited by Prometheus as "evidence" that STEP was insulting him. He states in this post that this quoted one is defamatory against him because he "never worked with" me, and that he did so many updates to No snow under the roof.

And, here's my defense: I did work with Prometheus with fixing some of his earlier mods, and this post wasn't actually talking about No snow under the roof, but about my past experience with the author. Be warned, this it going to be a fairly long story:

So, the story starts about a year ago: April 1, 2013. May have been Fool's Day, but it sure wasn't a joke.

That day (or around that time), I looked at a mod someone recommended: Beast Skeletons. This was the first mod I've really known about from Prometheus. In fact, here's said thread. From that, I decided to investigate the mod, and not only were there identical to master records galore, this greeted me.

This was a shock to see - for a LOT of worldspace and cell records, all the data (except for the header and the editor ID) were erased in his mod, leaving a mysterious "Unknown 15" record in the header. On a whim, I check out two other of his mods (Waves and Slave Pack Riekling Porter, both had the same symptoms. Something was up, but I didn't know what.

Time passed after that. I don't know what I did in the meantime, but I do remember that on May 27, 2013, I added a commit to the BOSS masterlist that said all three mods seen TESVSnip usage. I added that message also partially because of the issues with the initial CoT 3.0 release. This was later found out to be untrue, but it was still powerful enough for the users to wonder.

Now, to go through this really quickly, Promethius did notice (through was slow to respond) - I PM'd him with fixed versions of his mods (again, I needed to explain things to him before he'd use it) - and then he didn't actually upload it on his page, instead linking to the copies in my Dropbox. It was only a few more responses that he actually uploaded the fixed files, but in a separate non-NMM downloadable file. He was really tough to work with through the whole experience.

So, that's the story. It's a accurate retelling of my experience, and I'm justified in saying that the author was "tough to work with", because I did indeed attempt to work with him (though not in a collaboration).

Imo the author's attitude is relevant in the sense that a lot of potential problems  -- dirty edits, no USKP changes forwarded, masters in the wrong order -- are being stubbornly ignored. I think it looks great, I'm just not sure the downsides outweigh the positives.

• +1 1

I agree with Noobsayer, as a user I am knowledgable enough to "probably" fix any of those issues myself but it does not make me feel safe to install a mod in which the author does not seem particularly concerned about his mod working correctly. In addition, the lay user unfortunetly will not know how to fix these things themselves and as a result will likely end up bombarding his page with troubleshooting questions continiously; much to his own dismay, I'm sure. I am the first to jump up and defend mod authors about needy or demanding users, but in this case I feel like people are just trying to provide constructive feedback and are being ignored or pressured to give endorsements/votes.

Edited by TehKaoZ

I personally think that someone else should come out with the same mod with a different name and just have everyone switch to that. Does that violate the rules? I don't mean steal his code and re-upload it. I just mean someone else can figure out how to do it and recreate a better one. That will hopefully resolve the situation for everyone. 

Thing is, I suspect he's poured quite a few hours into it. He's handplacing snow on farmhouses, city buildings (like Winterhold) and ruins, adding piles of snow by hand, editing walkways to have cleared spots ... it's not a small undertaking, looking at the number of entries in TES5Edit.

I don't get putting that much time into something and then not taking 10 extra seconds to clean it, or maybe 5-10 minutes more to forward USKP changes.

Edited by Noobsayer
  • +1 1