Gemling Queen Dragon Claws (by Saerileth)

Noobsayer

Voting "yes" as well.  These are a huge improvement over vanilla.  The mesh improvements from Improved Gemstones are subtle and hard to see (at least in the screenshots).

I don't care for the panels on the diamond claw (in any of the versions).  Saerileth may have made them look a bit better, but they still look odd and out of place.  Personally, I'd prefer to see the panels removed completely so that the appearance of the diamond claw is consistent with the other claws. 

Hey there kryptopyr :) Thanks!

I'm not quite happy with the diamond claw panels myself, though I actually like the idea of giving diamonds a bit more shine than the less precious materials. The problem is that the panels are just in the texture, the mesh itself is not different from the others at all (which is why they look so flat and "painted on"). I've made do with what I could manage in NifSkope and the textures, but now that I've started to use Blender I may actually be able to do something about the mesh, like give the panels some real depth.

I'll also take a closer look at IG's meshes to figure out what it does with the handle mesh, I honestly never noticed a difference. I use the metal textures from Ruins Clutter Improved myself, does IG include it's own?

Can't promise an ETA though, rather busy with stuff I promised other people.

The difference is subtle, you just notice it outside of inventory when you hold the claw up against a strong contrast, you'll notice you can actually see through the crystals. But the transparent diamond is also a tiny bit glitchy in inventory view. Honestly, I can't get over how broken transparency is in this engine.

Someone accepted this without posting it as Accepted so I'm doing that now...

Accepted for STEP Core.

Mod page and boilerplate needs to be setup. Then get it added to the 2.2.9 Guide.

Oops; guilty as charged. must have forgotten when I went on my spree the other night tallying up staff and user votes and then forgetting to make a post; by comparison marking a post for testing is so much simpler since it automatically posts for you...

I also agree with the solid until such a time as anymore might come out with a way to fix the issue elegantly.

• 2 months later...

STEP recommends the Ruins_Clutter_Improved_v2-8 NMM Installation main file and during the FOMOD select Install everything.

There's a problem with Ruins Clutter Improved v2.8 and my mod. The author changed the texture layout in his latest version, by scaling/moving all of the original parts to the left to make room for his own gemstone texture to the right. Using these together with my mod will result in claws with weird, mismatched patterns on them.

For now I suggest installing the 2.7 version of RCI's claw textures on top of 2.8 when using Gemling Queen Dragon Claws, or not installing that component of RCI at all and using a different replacer for the textures. I'm working on a more permanent solution, but it'll take a while until it's ready.

Edited by Saerileth

Could we use MO's hide option to disable the RCI changes that affect GQDC?

>> edit after reading mod comments: @ Saerileth: you should switch to MO, really, trust me.

Re- RCI incompatibility: MO shows Mesh conflicts (sapphire, ruby, glass, emerald, diamond) with GQDC, if GQDC is placed after RCI in the left (install) pane it wins the conflicts. Can you list the RCI textures that don't "conflict" but cause the problem (I'm guessing just diamond?), MO users can "hide" those in the RCI mod using the mod information window.

Edited by redirishlord

From the GQDC Nexus comments;

Saerileth posts:All of the dragon claw textures and meshes from RCI 2.8 cause problems. My meshes use both default and ebony textures as well as their normal maps, so you will need the 2.7 versions for all of these or the gemstone claws will have mismatched patterns. You cannot use the meshes included with RCI for the other claws (iron etc.) because those depend on the new texture layout, using them with the 2.7 textures will result in mismatches on those claws.

Here's a full list of the textures you will need from the 2.7 archive:

- textures/clutter/ruins/ruinsdragonclaw01.dds- textures/clutter/ruins/ruinsdragonclaw01_n.dds- textures/clutter/ruins/ruinsdragonclawebony.dds- textures/clutter/ruins/ruinsdragonclawebony_n.dds- textures/clutter/ruins/ruinsdragonclawiron.dds

Delete the diamond texture, without the RCI meshes it isn't needed.

EProctor (that's me) posts:Okay, makes sense. MO users can install RCI v2.7 and then v2.8 after, then "hide" the textures you list in the info window for v2.8 and the v2.7 textures will be used and the other (non-claw related) v2.8 contents will be used for everything else. Thanks for the "heads up", I'll let you get back to you Mod Organizer installation (I assume you're switching over as we type ).