Forum Layout

Spock

Question

Since the other thread got locked and I couldn't find another topic of this sort I thought I'd just start it.

I'm sitting about 2 meters from my 30" monitor, I have to zoom to compfortably read at that distance and my resolution. The line spacing of the forum seems fairly large, information is mostly spread vertically. When I zoom in to the point where the subforum list lines up with the right end of my monitor I can see only very few threads. This makes navigating the forums more complex for me because I can simply see less information at once with the same font size. I would much prefer if the boxes representing subforums would align with the right end of my browser, scaling with zoom and the recent topics would go elsewere.

Also the palette option to the left of the forum distracts my vision. And maybe category headlines with more contrast would be desirable too.

I say this without having tested any different themes, but I usually browse the forums as guest.

[edit]Also line spacings and thus layout of posts appear different in the editor then they do in the post. It would be helpful if they didn't. Generally the font size seems small compared to the geometry of less important things in the forum (like avatars etc.)

Edited by z929669

I don't remember how to apply them from the admin side, and I don't have an IPB license laying around to test it myself :p

I meant: how did you apply on your side?

@Spock

Will take these suggestions under consideration as I am able ;)

You missed one little thing that's been bothering my OCD these last days:In the header, the line where there's buttons for New content, STEP wiki, STEP forums and STEP members, whenever you hover on one of these, the whole page goes 1 or 2 pixels down :|Second edit: Here's the stylish override that I currently use for the forum p:

@-moz-document domain("forum.step-project.com") {    div#ipbwrapper {        margin: 0px auto;        width: 90%;        min-width: 960px;    }        .col_n_icon, .col_c_icon img {        box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6) inset, 0px 0px 0px 1px rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.05), 0px 1px 0px rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.1);        padding: 5px 8px 4px;    }        .col_f_icon, #community_app_menu > li.active > a, #community_app_menu > li > a:hover, #community_app_menu > li > a.menu_active {        border-bottom-color: #A0CAF4;        margin-bottom: -1px;    }}

Implemented a variation of this that looks even better, so you can stop using it ;) Thanks for the info ... more useful tips and fixes welcome.