Ragdoll Paralysis (by silverfish)

keithinhanoi

Discussion thread:
Ragdoll Paralysis by silverfish
Wiki Link

Dropped in v3.0.

Ragdoll Paralysis is a mod I found back in November when looking for a mod fixing two things:

1. The completelty unreleastic stiff statue body effect when NPCs are paralyzed.
2. The floating weapons "bug" that happens when an NPC is killed by a paralyzing hit, as seen here.

Well, I sincerely apologize for not telling others about this little gem earlier, because in my experience it addresses both of these things perfectly.

I've been playing an archer character, and to make sure that the floating bug weapons don't happen on Bullseye perk paralyzing killshots, I needed to download and install the optional version (under "Miscellaneous") instead of the main download. This optional version applies the ragdoll effect to all instances of paralysis except for anything that freezes the NPC.

Note that to accomplish the fixes, all paralyze affects call a new custom script by the mod author. The source is included, but I know so little about scripting that I can only say that it does not appear to be "script heavy" as it's only called when a paralysis effect occurs.

To be honest, I am completely surprised this mod fix isn't part of the step core, but I'll leave that to the admins and the community to judge. Me, I'm just happy to finally be able to "give something" back to STEP (I hope!)

Get testing now - I'm really hoping you have the same great results I did!

Mod Testing

This mod runs a script and has no known conflicts.
To test this mod simply play with it active for a while making sure it is working as intended.

Well honestly, there are 2 ways to be parallyzed:

Loose paralysis: Your muscles cannot contract anymore but ATP-synthesis still works in your body, so the muscles loosen up over time. A blackout or faint will lead to a loose paralysis as well, since there is no central (aka brain) inducted resting tone anymore. This can be toxin/medicine-induced.

Stiff paralysis: Your muscles can not loosen up anymore, since there is no sufficient ATP-synthesis anymore. This can be toxin/medecine-induced or post mortem.

So just to make everything fall in to place: If you hit a vital organ or the brain with your arrow, this might cause epileptic seizure and this can make the victim look very "stiff". It could also be, that due to shock the victim just collapses and thus looks "loose". If using a poison or magic to paralyze your victim both types can be applicable as well.

Realism is a double-edged sword.

• +1 1

That's then a problem of the ragdoll physics in Skyrim. Perhaps the floating weapons bug can be resolved by USKP. Is it already in their bug tracker?

I wonder, does this mod also affect the "freeze" paralysis effect? It's essentially the same "animation" with a different shader attached.

This changes the alchemical paralysis effect to cause the victim to naturally fall down, as a ragdoll. The paralyze spell is left unchanged.
Now with alternate file that changes all paralyzing magic effects (except chillrend and deep freezes), as requested. Should be compatible with spell mods.

Nevermind. If the floating weapons bug cannot be circumvented in any convenient way, this mod might actually be worth the inclusion into STEP.

moved to appropriate forum.

Yeah, this mod the "optional" version is now on my "must have" list. It fixes the frozen gear issues that had always  been a mystery to me which I had heretofore shrugged off as being attributed to yet another weird-ass Skyrim physics glitch.

Paralyze  This one changes all paralyzing effects, except freeze

Well honestly, there are 2 ways to be parallyzed:

Loose paralysis: Your muscles cannot contract anymore but ATP-synthesis still works in your body, so the muscles loosen up over time. A blackout or faint will lead to a loose paralysis as well, since there is no central (aka brain) inducted resting tone anymore. This can be toxin/medicine-induced.

Stiff paralysis: Your muscles can not loosen up anymore, since there is no sufficient ATP-synthesis anymore. This can be toxin/medecine-induced or post mortem.

So just to make everything fall in to place: If you hit a vital organ or the brain with your arrow, this might cause epileptic seizure and this can make the victim look very "stiff". It could also be, that due to shock the victim just collapses and thus looks "loose". If using a poison or magic to paralyze your victim both types can be applicable as well.

Realism is a double-edged sword.

Afaik Paralization from Spells in Skyrim is in the Illusion school. I'd assume those end when the victim dies.

While Stiff (med: Spasmic) Paralization isn't uncommon the spasm usually wouldn't be strong enough to prevent movement if the force is great enough to throw the whole body through the air (like shown in the videos).

I think this mod enhances realism overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, not at all.

The optional version that I suggested just adds a custom script to 12 Magic Effect records, as you can see here:

Posted Image

So it would only conflict with any mods that alter these records - though attaching the script could be put into a patch very easily.

I'm afraid I don't use the full STEP list of mods, so I'm not sure if there any I'm not using which include these Magic Effect records.

Edited by keithinhanoi

Nope, not at all.

The optional version that I suggested just adds a custom script to 12 Magic Effect records, as you can see here:

Posted Image

So it would only conflict with any mods that alter these records - though attaching the script could be put into a patch very easily.

I'm afraid I don't use the full STEP list of mods, so I'm not sure if there any I'm not using which include these Magic Effect records.

We have very little and possibly no mods in STEP that affect any Magic records; however, there has been some discussion of finding a mod or set of mods that overhauls the magic system in the game (because it sucks...especially when trying to play strictly a mage).

Nope, not at all.

/snip ....

May I ask if you do not use all of the STEP:Core mods and why if not? I understand if you do not use all of the non-core mods ... just asking about Core here.

From the sound of it, this is a 'fix' and belongs in Core. Custom scripting ensures compatibility unless a dependent condition will be affected later by some other mod.

May I ask if you do not use all of the STEP:Core mods and why if not? I understand if you do not use all of the non-core mods ... just asking about Core here.

From the sound of it, this is a 'fix' and belongs in Core. Custom scripting ensures compatibility unless a dependent condition will be affected later by some other mod.

I'd have to agree that this is a fix.

Hmm, that's a loaded question... or should I say (mod) loading question? To try not to make this too off topic, here's my answer in a pastebin link.

Long story short is that although I'm not using enough of STEP to confidently state this suggestion will have no conflicts with STEP Core or Extended, I don't see anything that should conflict.

In any case, I was definitely thinking of this as a "fix" mod when I suggested it, and use it for that purpose myself.

I have just installed this mod, looked through TES5Edit and spotted 3 minor conflicts with USKP and 1 with "Animated Weapon Enchants" (for whoever uses it), namely at:

• Paralyze.esp Magic Effect 00073F30 <AlchParalysis> - USKP "Resist Value Data" needs forwarding.
  • Paralyze.esp Magic Effect 000ACBB6 <EnchParalysisFFContact> - AWE overrides all records from Paralyze.esp; so the latter needs forwarding and merging the "Enchant Shader Data" from AWE
  • Paralyze.esp Magic Effect 000C1E98 <PerkGrandmaster1HParalysisFFSelf> - USKP "Magic Skill Data" needs forwarding.
  • Paralyze.esp Magic Effect 000C1E9A <PerkGrandmaster2HParalysisFFSelf> - USKP "Magic Skill Data" needs forwarding.

This is minor patching that can be done in less than a minute! ::):

Edited by Astakos