"If the character dies, completely exit the game and reload the last save"

Hi,

in the end of the guide it says:

If the character dies, completely exit the game and reload the last save. The automatic load erroneously retains data it should not from after the save.

I am interested in were this information comes from and how people found out about it.

It doesn't seem logical to me. Why can't I reload manually?

Do I have to completely exit the game or can I go to the main menu instead?

Thank you :)

Hi,

in the end of the guide it says:

If the character dies, completely exit the game and reload the last save. The automatic load erroneously retains data it should not from after the save.

I am interested in were this information comes from and how people found out about it.

IIRC traders' inventories retained state after reload, they shouldn't. Which indicates there is a problem in the first place, and it isn't unreasonable to conclude it affects other parts of load routine.

It doesn't seem logical to me.

Neither to me. This is obvious bug, their game is obviously doing wrong things with object destructors.

Why can't I reload manually?

Because not all data structures are cleaned and recreated properly.

Do I have to completely exit the game or can I go to the main menu instead?

Full exit & relaunch is the way to go.

It seems that 99.5% of the time there is no (significant) issue, but how many save and loads do you do in the course if a long play through. You probably won't know right away but once your save is corrupted....

So out of a sense of caution on playthroughs I care about I exit to desktop before resuming. Besides, it makes death something to be avoided....

On the other hand, Gopher does not do this in his lets play and does not seem to gave an issue. (But he is also constantly installing and deleting mods so I might not do everything he does....)