Mod Organizer on HDD, Skyrim on SSD

Bbtufty

Question

7 answers to this question

Would there be any downside to installing Skyrim on my SSD and then Mod Organizer and all its mods on my HDD? Can't seem to find an answer googling around and I wondered if anyone had any insight into this

Loading will be slower than if you were to have the mods on the SSD as well, depending on what kind of mods you have.

Using symbolic links to individual mod follders in the /mod organizer/mods/ directory will allow you to put your mods anywhere you like.

I've even tried linking to mod folders I copied to my NAS. No problem.

But the slower the source, the slower things will be in loading, and could impact performance - at least having files on the NAS would definitely lead to slowdowns in game, anyhow.

Although windows itself is (almost) a joy to use when running on an SSD, by putting MO and the mods on your HDD, it kind of defeats the main purpose of SSDs. They are much better suited to data which doesn't change all the time, in other words a source for files that you read a lot. And most games fit that description.

But to answer the original question - there's no real "problem" in keeping MO and your mods on an HDD when your Windows system drive is on an SSD.

Power user hint though - on my setup, I've got my mod downloads folder on my NAS - so I can keep backups of my downloads without eating up space on my SSDs.

I load MO itself on an HDD, the download directory on another HDD volume, and Skyrim and the MO mods directories on an SDD. I don't need symbolic links the way I set it up. Steam allows multiple Steam folders; I have the main Steam directory on an HDD and the additional one on the SDD.