Copy - free alternative to DropBox

rootsrat

Back on topic: I'm torn between copy and mega. The former has linux client (and os x one, too), the latter gives more space for free and isn't run by USA-based it sec company...

Well, Kim Dotcom is a criminal, I'm not sure I'd trust his site p:

Also, I'm not a fan of the mega download system, with it's stupid tendency to store the file in the browser's temp files, I'd rather be able to download directly on my HDD, thank you.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just FYI:

Mega is pretty nice, but it lacks one hugely important feature: One cannot link to images dynamically. For example, I cannot use the image tool in this post to paste a link to my image so that you all can see it here in the forum. I can only point you to the image so that you can view it on their site.

Copy is better for sharing images (as is DB) ... however, Copy does not retain the file name in the public URL, which is a problem too. Generally, sites want to restrict this kind of content to jpg or gif so that it cannot be abused or used as a predatory tool for breaking a site.

DropBox DOES have a bandwidth limit. They cut my service once due to my exceeding that limit ... probably because of my hosting some highly viewed screenshots on these forums a while back. This is also a problem.

In my XP, DB is easiest to use (and so is Google Drive, but it suffers same as Copy)