Sorry couldn't find answer to this--

Stormborn

Question

I've looked everywhere! I've read the guides on texture optimization for the Beth HD DLCs, but I have an idea that I'd lke to know if it's possible -

Can I simply install the 3 officil DLC texture packs as "mods" with  Mod Organizer, then unpack .bsa when it asks? That way I can just run optimizer textures like I do for any unpacked texture mods with 0 dangers and risks.

Let me know if this works! I don't want my game to explode. If this is possible it seems 100x easier than the DDSopt solution. Ty for taking the time!

p.s. if this IS possible you're all very welcome

8 answers to this question

You can do that, but there are so many textures in those HRDLC that some files might break if they are optimized. You'll know they are broken because they show up as purple in game. These are usually the monochromatic textures.

As far as I know SMCO and Optimizer Textures both skip those type of files.

It is possible, yes. However you're going to end up with a lot of unpacked files (all the meshes, scripts and such), so I'd recommend that when you unpack the bsa, you delete all the folders other than the textures one from the unpacked files, and keep using the bsa.

It is possible' date=' yes. However you're going to end up with a lot of unpacked files (all the meshes, scripts and such), so I'd recommend that when you unpack the bsa, you delete all the folders other than the textures one from the unpacked files, and keep using the bsa.[/quote']

Thank you for your response.

What  do you mean keep using the .bsa? Will the unpacked textures automatically overwrite the .bsa when the game is loaded? Also what is the drawback of these files you mention?

It is possible, yes. However you're going to end up with a lot of unpacked files (all the meshes, scripts and such), so I'd recommend that when you unpack the bsa, you delete all the folders other than the textures one from the unpacked files, and keep using the bsa.

No meshes or scripts in the hrdlc though. You can just unpack and skip any files listed in DDSopt.ini listed in the guide when optimizing with a different program.

TY so much for your input so far - greatly appreciated.

So, let me get this straight... first of all, how can I even install the DLC packs as a mod? Because in Mod Organizer they only appear on the right, not on the left, thus not giving me the original option to unpack.

It is possible' date=' yes. However you're going to end up with a lot of unpacked files (all the meshes' date=' scripts and such), so I'd recommend that when you unpack the bsa, you delete all the folders other than the textures one from the unpacked files, and keep using the bsa.[/quote'']

No meshes or scripts in the hrdlc though. You can just unpack and skip any files listed in DDSopt.ini listed in the guide when optimizing with a different program.

Woops, I read "3 official DLCs" and thought it was referring to the actual DLC, not the High Resolution patch :P