Beginner with numerous questions

MrSvinlesha

Question

Howdy!

I'm an old hand at installing mods but a complete beginner when it comes to both S.T.E.P. and Mod Organizer.  I have a large number of general questions I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.  I'll start off with a two or three and then return with more as we go along, so as not to overwhelm the thread.  Any other beginners with questions are welcome to hop in and ask here as well!

1) I'm in the process of installing of installing S.T.E.P Core -- or is it S.T.E.P 2.2.8?  the nomenclature's a bit confusing to me -- but I intend to use Frostfall, Realistic Needs, Hunterborn, etc.  There's another S.T.E.P. pack that's explicitly designed around these mods (Immersion and Survival, I believe).  Should I install S.T.E.P. Core first, and then add the Immersion Pack?  Or should I just install the Immersion pack alone?

2) I ask this because I'm in the process right now of installing dual-sheath redux following S.T.E.P. Core, and the specific instructions regarding the support mod XP32 Maximum Skeleton say that the settings for that mod are specific to using Cold and Rain, and not to Frostfall.  There's no link to any instructions concerning how to configure the XP32 mod if you are using Frostfall.  So -- what options should I select if I am going to use Frostfall?

4) I've downloaded and installed Dual-Redux and then some of the patches, but the patches are red print with a little warning star that says "installed version 2014-02-23, newest version 1.6 beta"?

3) Why does S.T.E.P. have such a strict download/install order if BOSS is just going to restructure everything afterwards?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

With MO you can make multiple installs of a mod by giving it a different name for each install. This is valuable when setting up different profiles.

If I make a profile for a pure STEP install then I just install XPMS as it's regular name that MO gives it with the STEP Options. If I'm setting up a new profile for my survivalist playthrough, then I install the mod again and name it something else, like appending " - Frostfall" to the end of XPMS, so I know that it has the Frostfall options.

I don't think you will need to ignore Wet & Cold since it has Frostfall compatibility built in.

Techangel (or anyone else who can help):

Okay, let's take "No boring sleep-wait menu" as an example. I installed it and got the red X. Telling MO to ignore missing data" doesn't activate the mod (I've tried sleeping with a test character now and the menu doesn't appear).

The read-me to the mod says:

Simply estract the file "sleepwaitmenu.swf" into your Skyrim/Data/Interface folder.

If the "Interface" folder does not exist... create it

The path shown in the pop-up window with error message is:

Data

>Interface

>>sleepwaitmenu.swf

I assumed that was the path the mod would be installed on, which seems to be exactly as described in the read me....

Uh... never mind. I see now that it had a data file inside the data file. I pulled "interface" out of the Data file, and evoila! It worked.

EssArrBee:

Thanks, but with regard to a Frostfall-specific installation, do remember is there anything specific I need to do instead?

Finally, one other question I've been wondering about: MO sets up a virtual Data folder with my mods installed. What happens if I install a mod the old fashioned way, in my actual data folder, and then start the game with MO and my other mods?

Also' date=' when installing patches -- should I "merge" them?[/quote']

RE restructuring mods:

You will need to drag & drop the folders and file types that normally should exist under /Data by either bringing them all up to the top of the package structure, or placing them under a single "Data" folder if it exists (and unticking other structures that are adjacent to "Data"). It will turn green when you have something that MO recognizes, but that may still not be complete, so be thorough.

If you install patches that are provided under the same Nexus mod ID, then you can either merge them (this will overwrite any conflicts) or rename them to " - ", which will not overwrite conflicts and allow plugin control via the installed package rather than the plugin manager. Either way works, and it is difficult to say which way is best, since it is subjective. If you ever do overwrite a mod with an update over the same mod where you have merged in patches, I think that you will lose the merged patches, so be aware of this.

Groovy, thx.

I think I've got the hang of restructuring mods now, I got confused earlier because I didn't notice that the warning pop-up often occurs because the mod comes in a Data folder, which MO then places in the data folder. To get the mod to work, you have to extract the contents of the Data folder so that they are directly under the data folder in the MO structure, if you know what I mean. And MO is very nice and let's you know once you've got the structure right as well.

I have to say the more I play around with this, the more impressed I become. It seems to work great and the S.T.E.P. documentation, while not perfect, is light years beyond most of what you find on the net.

So I downloaded Skyrim Flora Overhaul' date=' and the new flowers are rendered as 2D sprites. That can't be right, can it?[/quote']

Which Flora Overhaul and which particular flowers are you referring to? They are not sprites, but many are quite flat yes. Supposed to be the same as many of the vanilla grasses. Check what other users are saying on Nexus too.

Fred

I wouldn't install anything to the Skyrim\Data directory. (SKSE you will have too) But that's the point of Mod Organizer.

To Keep Skyrim Pristine while using all the STEP Mods you want :)

So once you Download/install Skyrim. You 7zip that (Back it up) and put it somewhere safe.

Don't worry about not finding the Manual on MO. When I first came here I had a hard time navigating the site too :D

In the MO STEP Manual; Check out the Tabs @top of page. A lot of great info those Tabs.

Thanks for the encouragement, Ayleid! :)

So, I've gotten quite far along in the installation now, but I've hit a snag with FNIS. When I try to run it from within MO, MO crashes and I get a message that I need to activate .Net Framework 3.5.1. Unfortunately, the .Net Framework 4.5.1 is already installed. I've tried running the .net set up verifier, and it confirms that my .net installation is correct.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the encouragement, Ayleid! :)

So, I've gotten quite far along in the installation now, but I've hit a snag with FNIS. When I try to run it from within MO, MO crashes and I get a message that I need to activate .Net Framework 3.5.1. Unfortunately, the .Net Framework 4.5.1 is already installed. I've tried running the .net set up verifier, and it confirms that my .net installation is correct.

What am I doing wrong?

so yea need .NET 3.5.1  =.NET 3.5 service pack 1

All the .NET are different.  I think.  Any ways here's the DL link for that.  Install it and then try.  It won't override anything.  All the .NETs are seperate from each other=is what I am trying to say.

Thanks brother. Unfortunately, she won't let me do it. Everytime I try to install .net 3.5.1 i get a error message. It says I have to install it through the control panel.

The wierd thing is if I go in through control panel -- program -- activate or deactivate windows functions, then net 3.5.1 is visible and the box beside it is ticked -- so it should be installed. I can't find it in my list of uninstallable programs, however -- there's only .NET 4.5.1 visible there.

Okay, got another question.

I've installed Deadly Spell Impacts, but for some reason the game engine can't find the necessary textures, so every time I cast a spell, the wall or floor behind the spell becomes a blank purple square. Since I figure I can live without this one particular enhancement, I decide to simply uninstall/remove the mod. But that led to a CTD, so I reinstalled it.

If I even deactivate it -- that is to say, uncheck it in the left panel -- MO can't start start Skyrim. With it reactivated, I can start Skyrim but I can't load my saved game.

So...how do I go about safely uninstalling a mod I don't like/need with MO? I tried checking the documentation but I couldn't find anything.