Wet and Cold - Holidays

Neovalen

After looking at a few video reviews of this mod I must say it's amazing!I presume it won't be compatible with Dawn of... series (Whiterun, Riften etc.)? Has any one checked that yet?

I skimmed over it in the CK when making ETaC compatible, and I didn't notice any important clipping with Dawn of Riften or Whiterun, at least none that I could see instantly in the CK :P
  • +1 2

Yesterday I tried all the Holidays (you can force them ingame via the W&C menu) in Whiterun & Windhelm. Didn't have any problem with the Dawn of series or any other mods we use with regs. Haven't checked Riften but I'm sure that shouldn't be a problem either.

• +1 3

• 2 months later...

This will have to be put into a profile and just played with it active for some time to truly test it. Personally, I've always felt these "holiday" mods to be a bit gimmicky; however, if the actual lore behind it can be confirmed I'll give it a consideration as long as there isn't anything from "our time" that as been plugged in for no reason.

Isoku implemented nearly all (if not outright all) of the static holidays from those that were already mentioned in series lore or events (see the UESP for proof). The few dynamic holidays - well, eveyone does have a birthday, and considering how massivly signifigant both stopping Alduin and ending the Skyrim civil war are, it makes sense to have holidays relating to both for those who have enough post-game content to keep them busy.

EDIT: Also, there's even a adaptation of Dicken's Christmas Carol in there, reworked approiatly for the Elder Scrolls setting, and distributed in the form of books (with the look based of the BCS books, even). So that's a neat little extra.

OT to this particlar testing: Anyone ran this with REGS?

It seems Isuko has basically just copied the text from the UESP on his notes for the holidays. As for the decorations, Isoku seems to have taken creative liberty there. There are no mention of decorations or fireworks in the lore. I can also think of a few improvements to better match the lore like free ale on the day of New Life Festival, Harvest's End and Old Life Festival. Jesters day has been taken a little too literately by dressing up NPCs in jester outfits when the lore says it's a day of pranking others, not dressing up and dancing as what happens in-game. Armors and magical items should also be set at half price during certain days according to lore that aren't set by Isoku (according to documentation by Isuko).

• 2 months later...

Isoku implemented nearly all (if not outright all) of the static holidays from those that were already mentioned in series lore or events (see the UESP for proof). The few dynamic holidays - well, eveyone does have a birthday, and considering how massivly signifigant both stopping Alduin and ending the Skyrim civil war are, it makes sense to have holidays relating to both for those who have enough post-game content to keep them busy.EDIT: Also, there's even a adaptation of Dicken's Christmas Carol in there, reworked approiatly for the Elder Scrolls setting, and distributed in the form of books (with the look based of the BCS books, even). So that's a neat little extra.OT to this particlar testing: Anyone ran this with REGS?

Belated response, I have been running this with a SR:LE + REGS install, all seems to go according to plan. The residents of Riverwood set up between Alvor's and the 'Trader, the ETaC changes are outside the gathering area so no conflicts there. I haven't enjoyed a holiday in Whiterun since adding "JK's Whiterun compatible with Dawn of Whiterun" so I'm not sure if there is any issue regarding gatherings in the market (of course JK's isn't a REGS mod, at least not yet).

• 7 months later...

This mod should be taken out of testing.  After Wet & Cold version 2.0 is released, which will be soon, the W&C: Holidays addon mod will no longer be supported by Isoku or by W&C 2.0.  Well, just read this...:

"As part of the streamlining process I've decided that I will no longer support the Holidays addon. I know this may disappoint some of you but in order to bring it up to par with v2.0 of the base mod, I'd have to spend months rebuilding it and I'd rather spend that time working on current and future mods that I'm enthusiastic about. In addition to that, I was never completely happy with the mod. I felt that I could never do the Holidays justice due to the game engine, conflicts with other mods and the fact that I'm only one person."  in a response post he went on to say "An archive of the old files will be available. I may rework it into a standalone version eventually but regardless it will no longer be associated with Wet and Cold. Actually if anyone wants to take the mod and rework it as their own or knows anyone who would be interested in doing so, feel free to contact me."

Edited by oqhansoloqo
  • +1 1

This mod should be taken out of testing.  After Wet & Cold version 2.0 is released, which will be soon, the W&C: Holidays addon mod will no longer be supported by Isoku or by W&C 2.0.  Well, just read this...:

"As part of the streamlining process I've decided that I will no longer support the Holidays addon. I know this may disappoint some of you but in order to bring it up to par with v2.0 of the base mod, I'd have to spend months rebuilding it and I'd rather spend that time working on current and future mods that I'm enthusiastic about. In addition to that, I was never completely happy with the mod. I felt that I could never do the Holidays justice due to the game engine, conflicts with other mods and the fact that I'm only one person."  in a response post he went on to say "An archive of the old files will be available. I may rework it into a standalone version eventually but regardless it will no longer be associated with Wet and Cold. Actually if anyone wants to take the mod and rework it as their own or knows anyone who would be interested in doing so, feel free to contact me."

That's a shame. I will always fondly remember one of my best random fight encounters which occurred when I and my follower happened upon that pagan magical creature bonfire gathering (can't recall W&C-H's name for it) at the same time as some goblins from SIC. Just one "friendly fire" arrow hit to an attendee of the gathering - and all hell broke loose as the entire posse turned on me and my hapless follower.

Talk about lighting up the night skies....

I understand as Wet and Cold is the main focus and a far better mod. I think this should have not carried the main mod's name and then it would have probably been a different beast. isoku is a good scripter and designer, but this mod needed lots more custom assets to be even better and give that true holiday feeling.

While it's a shame to hear that the Holidays mod will not work with the new version of Wet & Cold (and thus may never be available again to use), it also makes sense to me that it should be a standalone mod.  It never made sense to me to be an "addon" for "Wet & Cold".  I'm glad that it's no longer an addon, but it's sad to hear that he *may* not work on it again.

Edited by oqhansoloqo