Wet and Cold - Holidays

Neovalen

Wet and Cold - Holidays by Isoku

An addon for Wet and Cold, which makes use of Wet and Cold's features to spread holiday cheer throughout Skyrim. Villages/cities will visually change as holidays based on TES lore--some of which may have been initially planned by Bethesda based on strings found in the CK--come and go. NPCs will also react to these changes by attending various events appropriate for the holiday. If you'd like to experience the in-game holidays along with the real world, it is possible force any holiday, any day, for as long as you'd like through SkyUI's MCM. Install, update, troubleshooting, etc. instructions are identical to the Wet and Cold mod. Do not uninstall while a holiday is active.

Holidays:
From festive lanterns to fireworks, a list of currently implemented holidays and their basic effects in-game can be found here. You will be given notice of upcoming holidays through flyers from the courier and/or through a monthly events letter at the bar in each city tavern.

Holiday Gear: [sKSE]
NPCs will equip various items depending on the holiday. Currently implemented gear: Saturalia hats during Saturalia, Jester's Day costumes during Jester's Day, New Life Bandanas during the New Life Festival and practice weapons during the Warriors Festival.

Go Celebrate!:
A city's/village's NPCs will celebrate in temples, shops, inns and/or outside depending on the holiday. Merchants/laborers may retire early in order to attend events. All cities and villages in Skyrim will have NPCs who celebrate provided the settlement has the specific location required for the holiday (e.g. the Mid Year Celebration has NPCs gathering in temples and outside that day. Since Riverwood does not have a temple, Riverwood's NPCs will only celebrate outside on this holiday). Since this feature may interfere with some NPC quest scenes, you can A. bother them later (let them relax it's a holiday!) or B. temporarily disable this feature when needed.

Notes:

A "Festivals of Skyrim" book detailing all non-dynamic holidays in this mod has been added to the book clutter leveled list. It has a low chance of appearing in various locations throughout Skyrim. Useful if you do not have SkyUI/MCM or prefer reading about the holidays from a book.
    After the Battle of Whiterun, this mod will be disabled until the civil war is completed. However, this can be overridden using the override feature at your own discretion.
    All times listed are estimates. NPC travel time should be taken into account.
    Inhabitants of a location selected to attend an event are randomly redrawn every 2 in-game hours. After 5 PM the attendee list stabilizes.
    Winterhold does not hold any celebrations.
    Saturalia decorations will appear on Whiterun's Gildergreen only when it is fully grown and healthy.
    "A New Life Carol" book series (5 total) are a Skyrim adaptation of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" by princess_stomper and can be found during the Saturalia decorations season.

Randomized Start Date:
If starting a new game, you will have the option to randomize the month, day and/or time your adventure begins. Compatible with Alternate Start - Live Another Life, Skyrim Unbound and Random Alternate Start.

Tried it out a couple of times on new game test saves -- so not extensively, but a little. I use Alternate start. I loaded into Windhelm during various times of day (as intended) and twice with a holiday active (Saturalia and something and Tallows) and several times with none active. Limited testing says working as intended.

Alduin and some other dates are "dynamic" so they're set based on when you actually do those things.

• 2 weeks later...

Admittedly I've only experienced one holiday, that being the Harvest Festival (I think that's it anyway...) with the Dawn of series. I was in Whiterun and everything seemed to work fine, although I did get a hit in fps due to like 20 or so people being near the well. One or two CTD's as well admittedly but then again it seems like no matter what I do with my mods set up I can't get it perfect.

Next up is the Tales and Tallows (Again, I think that's the name.) festival and it looks like the pumpkins are set up correctly in Riften. It's still a few days away from the Tales and Tallows festival so I don't know if it'll really work and I haven't checked Whiterun and Windhelm for it either. But so far it seems to work.

Something fun that happened in the Harvest festival in Whiterun: I haven't done Sanguine's quest yet so he's still in the Bannered Mare. When the festival happened he came out and partied pretty hard, I thought it was rather appropriate. :lol:

Edited by Crimson13
  • +1 2