Quality Snow HD 4K (by Yuril)

Octopuss

diffuse maps here are imo great...i'm a fan of yuril works and this release did not disappoint my expectations.

transparencies could be "smarter", this is true .

a quick way to fix could be to download 4k package...open textures in photoshop or gimp, replace alpha channels with beth hi res dlc alphas , or mine ... are not much different, resize to 2k or 1k and save as dxt5... quality loss in this way for diffuse is minimal and transitions softer.

If only I knew how to do that :-). Make Yuril do it!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone looking at this right now? I just popped it into my game and at it's base it's hands down the best snow retexture I've ever seen.  I do feel that it may suffer a bit in details like transitions, though I haven't been able to check that out properly yet.  Regardless, the overall effect on the landscape in the North is so great I may well ignore minor details for it... depending of course on how minor they are.

Been running around Winterhold area trying to sort an LOD issue with the college and checking out the snow from this mod meanwhile, I will say that some of the transitions leave a bit to be desired.  That being said, that was the case with STEP snow before (cant remember name) though perhaps to a slightly less degree.  I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but on the large scale its a huge win....

I think you're referring to HQ Snow Texture that's currently in STEP. The screenshots I've looked at so far do seem to be better than any of the other snow textures I've seen so far, so I just tossed this one into my load order so I can compare it with HQ Snow Texture when I find time.

I think you're referring to HQ Snow Texture that's currently in STEP. The screenshots I've looked at so far do seem to be better than any of the other snow textures I've seen so far, so I just tossed this one into my load order so I can compare it with HQ Snow Texture when I find time.

https://spiralgraphics.biz/packs/snow_ice/index.htm?23#anchor

I don't like saying this again, but I'm sure I told Tech or someone before that if the moderators there find out he isn't crediting other people's work, the mod will get removed. I know that doesn't look the same, but I'm sure he is layering other Genetica textures on top. If he is and he hasn't bought the program, that's a ban right there. Real Ice has unchanged Genetica textures FYI

I'm simply pointing this out because if anyone finds out, the STEP team will have to change everything again. Also, he should bloody credit people!

Edit: It says royalty-free, but there is a license agreement stating the work should be credited. He also has got to be using the program, as some of the textures are 4k.

Edited by Guest

https://spiralgraphics.biz/packs/snow_ice/index.htm?23#anchor

I don't like saying this again, but I'm sure I told Tech or someone before that if the moderators there find out he isn't crediting other people's work, the mod will get removed. I know that doesn't look the same, but I'm sure he is layering other Genetica textures on top. If he is and he hasn't bought the program, that's a ban right there. Real Ice has unchanged Genetica textures FYI

I'm simply pointing this out because if anyone finds out, the STEP team will have to change everything again. Also, he should bloody credit people!

Edit: It says royalty-free, but there is a license agreement stating the work should be credited. He also has got to be using the program, as some of the textures are 4k.

The license agreement actually says:

1.  If you are a "Paying Customer" (someone who has purchased a Genetica license):

a. You may use the preset and pack textures in both commercial and noncommercial projects such as games, movies, publications, and artwork.  You will not owe us any fee for this activity.

b. You may modify our textures and then distribute or sell the results.  The modifications may be as extensive as you wish, including no modifications at all.  You will not owe us any fee for this activity.

c. You may choose to credit or to not credit our website as the source of the textures as you see fit.

d. The rights listed above apply only to textures that can be edited or rendered in the version and edition of Genetica for which you have purchased a license.  If a texture will only work in a higher version or edition of Genetica than the one that you have licensed, then for that specific texture you are considered a Free User, and your rights are governed by point 2 below.

2.  If you are a "Free User" (someone who has not purchased an appropriate Genetica license and instead uses free or demo software):

a. You may use the preset and pack textures in both commercial and noncommercial projects such as games, movies, publications, and artwork. You will not owe us any fee for this activity.

b. You may modify our textures to whatever extent you see fit.  You will not owe us any fee for this activity.

c. You may redistribute our textures, but must clearly and visibly link to our website as the source of the textures.  If you do not wish to credit our website, then you may instead become a Paying Customer by purchasing a license for Genetica, at which point your rights will be governed by point 1 above.

I've highlighted the appropriate clause.

I'm guessing he didn't cough up $239 US for the Pro version that can render 4k textures though. I recently bought some better software for much, much cheaper. You just wouldn't buy that if you are serious about texturing.

I hate sounding like an ethical-sounding moron, but this is the exact same thing Ewi65 got banned for. Exactly. I mean lots of people run lots of pirate software, but you can't be that obvious if you want to get away with it. All I am trying to do is say: IF this gets found out, STEP will need to mess people around again by recommending the old mod. I'm not trying to come off as some elitist, I'm just trying to state some possibilities.

There is a reason his old mod wasn't as good, and I reckon he just stumbled upon that program after looking for free seamless textures.

Have you raised this with the Nexus admins? I think perhaps instead of us dealing with 'if, buts and maybes', they should perhaps make the determination, after all that is in their realm of oversight.

Nah, I'm not like that. I'll point it out, but it's not me to get someone in trouble with something. I have said what I thought, even if I may be wrong. I know I'm right on his other mod, but I just don't want the team here to put in the work accepting this, then further down the line it's gone. As I say, I don't like pointing this stuff out because it makes me sound like a jackass. We all know I'm clearly just a "Firestarter." ::P:

Edited by Guest

Ive been doing some running around and comparing STEP (HQ Snow Texture) with this mod.  I did take some screenshots, but as I'm new at this whole thing I probably screwed up a million things (ie I'm using ELFX and Vivid Weathers, some pics with Vividian ENB VW settings, and I wasn't really able to get the same shots to compare from, as I was running around the whole time) so I'm not sure if they're worth posting.  

My end result is actually mixed.  

For the open stretches of snow, this mod kills - the texture is so much more detailed and realistic.  As well, the road textures are much better at their base.  However there is a decent amount of noticeable stretching, the transitions can be quite harsh, specifically with the road textures.  In addition, it does not blend well at all with STEP Just Ice (ice mod from the Ruffled Feather).  As a matter of fact, it doesn't blend well with Real Ice, which is by the same author.  

I tested different versions of Real Ice with this snow, with STEP snow, and both snows with STEP ice.  Undoubtedly the best combination is current STEP IMO.  That being said, I'm not in love with any of the options honestly, and can only hope that some quality texture artist takes it upon themselves to do a complete Northern Landscape retexture, so we can get something a little more comprehensive.

The way I get landscape screenshots (and I'm nowhere near a screenshot expert) is to walk around until you find a good place for a screenshot. Save from the menu (and Shift+F12 to turn off ENB effects if you're using an ENB), take the screenshot. Keep moving around and saving before you take the next screenshot. Exit the game when you're finished, switch to the new mod you want to compare, and run Skyrim again. Now you just need to load the first save, screenshot, load the next save, screenshot, repeat.