Farmhouse Chimneys (by Scarla)

Noobsayer

• 2 weeks later...

The chimneys are MUCH taller.

I'll see if I can get a comparison shot. (It will be my first.)

EDIT: As you can see, the new chimneys are much taller, and far too square.

Scarla had actually removed the old versions, but re-uploaded them by popular demand.

2015-02-24_00001_zpsr1sk7giy.jpg

2015-02-24_00003_zpshce1nc9a.jpg

2015-02-24_00004_zpsqusl1zz3.jpg

Edited by Xaviien

Hey folks, I just want to address a few of your comments here.

I know the new chimneys are not for everyone. At some point I will update the old version and include it in the fomod installer so people can choose. For now it's no big deal to download them as-is.

The number one complaint about the old chimneys was that they were too short, and with the straw roofs it was a fire hazard. That's why I was so happy to find taller meshes. I suppose it's a matter of preference between practical and aesthetic.

My screenshots were taken before I corrected the new meshes in 2.2. The meshes were not displaying normal maps properly. I've just uploaded new screenshots, but of course looking at the meshes in game is always best. They look much less flat now. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about the square edges of the meshes themselves, but it still makes a difference.

The only reason there are more plugins, is that I have added more (optional) patches. As a bonus I have uploaded merged versions with all of the patches. Seems like a win-win to me.

The meshes use the vanilla farmhouse textures. The tops are stone -- the same stone used in the farmhouse interiors. If they look like concrete, it's because the farmhouse textures look that way already.

Also, just FYI: she, not he :)

• +1 2

Hi Scarla. Sorry for the gender confusion! Thanks very much for stopping by.

Would you consider a compromise, using a slightly taller version of the old mesh?

For me personally, I think that would be perfect. About halfway between the height of the old version and new version, but in the style of the old version.

Of course taste is subjective, and everyone has an opinion. I'm sure the others will chime in with theirs as well.

This mod might also be looking odd because of the odd placement.

I haven't checked the homes, but going off the screenshots, the chimneys look wrong because most homes of that style, especially those with thatched roofs, should have the chimney on the gable ends or exiting at the peak of the roofline.

Placing them there avoids the potential fire hazard that user comments have noted.

I'm not sure if that is due to the placement by Bethesda of the fireplaces themselves or a purely aesthetic choice by the modder. If it is due to Bethesda I'm not sure what could be done about that unless all the internal structure was re-arranged, not a good option.