Using MO for STEP: Core vs Extended, BCFs, BSAs, & SKSE 1.07.00 (w/ mem patch)

tregolani

Question

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the Skyrim modding scene, and wanted to ask a few questions I've run into recently that I don't quite understand.

First:  I've heard some people have different MO profiles for STEP:Core vs. Extended.  How exactly does that work?  Would the profile for Core be all of the Core mods with the Core patch, and then the Extended profile just be everything topped off with the Extended patch, or would it be just the extra mods listed on the Extended Pack page with no extra patch?  I'm still learning, so I haven't quite figured out how to make a profile use another profile as a dependency, and I don't know which is a better way/the appropriate way to set up my mods.

Second:  Is there a major benefit/advantage to using BCF files over just installing the loose files through MO?  I understand that I need to use Wyre Bash to use BCF files....but I'm a bit lost after that.  What all needs to be downloaded for the BCF files to install correctly via MO?

Third: I don't really understand BSA files.  I always let MO extract them, but what is their purpose, and what is the best practice for dealing with them via MO?

Fourth:  According to

(listed on Sheson's post over on enbdev.com), the newest version of SKSE has the memory patch built into it.  However, I'm running into issues as how to install it.  I've tried installing it via the installer provided, but that seems to cause SkyUI 4.1 to run into issues of not being able to find the SKSE scripts.  I've also tried installing it via the STEP detailed instructions, but then I can't seem to find out how to launch Skyrim via SKSE through MO (and SkyUI 4.1 still won't recognize the scripts).  What am I doing wrong?

Lastly:  I basically asked this in the first question as well, but if I want to use Packs on top of a Core/Extended setup, would I just install those packs (only the files listed in the pack) as separate profiles, or would I need to set up each profile with the full set of mods from Core/Extended then followed by all of the mods in a pack?

I want to make sure I'm installing everything correctly before I spend days upon days forum-digging to find out that I've missed some crucial step and have to reinstall everything again. I've already reverted back to a clean vanilla install, and I just want to make sure I'm going about installing everything correctly so I tax my machine only as much as needed.

Specs (for reference):

ASUS G75VW-RS72

Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor, 2.3 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.3GHz), 6MB Smart Cache

12GB, PC3-12800/1600Mhz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M w/3GB GDDR5

TL; DR - I'm a major modding noob and don't know what I'm doing, but am willing to do my homework if I'm pointed in the right direction.  I really appreciate any help that you are willing to offer. 

THANKS! :happy:

2 answers to this question

First: Install using the STEP Guide. Extended in pack form is currently in development. Probably should add that as a warning to the pack page. Core profile would only include core mods. Extended profile would "extend" upon Core and add Extended mods (in some cases, different versions of Core mods may be used). The appropriate STEP Patch is used for each profile.

Second: Don't use the BCFs. They are leftovers from Wrye Bash days.

Third: Currently STEP recommends to extract all BSAs. BSA is an archived format of storing game files. It is debatable as to the best practice, although it currently doesn't really matter very much.

Fourth: The SkyUI installer doesn't recognize that the scripts are present within Mod Organizer since it cannot see the virtual file system. Simply install anyway ignoring the warning.

Fifth: Packs normally are built upon STEP Core, so you need to at least copy the Core profile when installing a pack. Proper pack support and instructions should come with 2.3.0

First: Install using the STEP Guide. Extended in pack form is currently in development. Probably should add that as a warning to the pack page. Core profile would only include core mods. Extended profile would "extend" upon Core and add Extended mods (in some cases, different versions of Core mods may be used). The appropriate STEP Patch is used for each profile.

Second: Don't use the BCFs. They are leftovers from Wrye Bash days.

Third: Currently STEP recommends to extract all BSAs. BSA is an archived format of storing game files. It is debatable as to the best practice, although it currently doesn't really matter very much.

Fourth: The SkyUI installer doesn't recognize that the scripts are present within Mod Organizer since it cannot see the virtual file system. Simply install anyway ignoring the warning.

Fifth: Packs normally are built upon STEP Core, so you need to at least copy the Core profile when installing a pack. Proper pack support and instructions should come with 2.3.0

You know, you're a pretty wonderful person.  That is a super helpful post.  

Thank you! :thumbsup: