Autoremove all post-injected

NodusCursorius

Question

"Sent from my $devicename Tapatalk"

I humbly ask that a MyBB module, forum policy, or php-by-hand-hack removes this specific content that is conversation noise. It is essentially a signature and advertisement that steps outside of policy.

Reason 1: "All rules and guidelines for the forums also apply to signatures. This means keep it Safe-For-Work, no adverts, etc."

Reason 2: "Once you've made your query, comment or request, don't keep repeating it. Sometimes you won't get the response you hope for, but  constant repetition is a form of spamming , and won't be appreciated by the community."

Reason 3: It is a repeating signature that can spread across multiple posts, in multiple accounts, and can not be ignored or disabled by the control panel's ability to ignore post signatures.

The seemingly trivial and selfish nature of this request is self-acknowledged, but that doesn't change the repetitive nature of the advertisements.

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Speaking of chat and IRC, aren't those a bit too 1995 or so? I mean, of course _some_ old fashioned people still use them, but I haven't heard of anyone even mention that in past ten years.

Heck, I bet majority of internet population nowadays doesn't even know what IRC is.

You've obviously never watched or researched much in the way of fansubbed anime (or at least gotten very deep in it), it's useful for questions and such and downloading files. Most linux distributions have their own chatrooms so people can help each other in real time with problems and then there are places like DLP (Dark Lord Potter) who use it as a sounding board and place to make community generated stories and set challenges for each other.

Anyways it's set up if anyone wants to hop on. I'm about to head out to eat dinner but if any of the Staff want OPs pm me here or shoot me a Steam message. If you need help getting in ask, though #Rizon channel and the Rizon wiki are great resources.

Speaking of chat and IRC, aren't those a bit too 1995 or so? I mean, of course _some_ old fashioned people still use them, but I haven't heard of anyone even mention that in past ten years.

Heck, I bet majority of internet population nowadays doesn't even know what IRC is.

Group of friends, forum community, trackers, fansubs, streamers, etc, etc. A LOT of people use IRC. You can participate in more than one channel and just leave it there, idling.

Low and behold, there is a way to disable the Tapatalk Sent from messages. They have an option on their website to disable for a registered forum.

I'm for disabling them. IMO they serve no real purpose other than adding useless text to a post. If a post doesn't make sense, that is the fault of the poster, not the reader, and relying on a block of text with no informational value as an attempt to gain insight into a person or their contribution makes no sense to me.

We could look into having an icon associate with a post to let you know if a message was sent via tapatalk or mobile to satisfy those that want to know, but I say get rid of the text which has absolutely no intrinsic value, other than the calculated cost of the disk they ultimately get written to.

Just to clarify if we are discussing disk space. I’m assuming the messages are stored as a variable-length string on this board, which is 10 bytes + the length of the string.

"Sent by tapatalk on iOS"

Is therefor 33 bytes long. Throw in an extra two for the spaces above the line. 1 Mb is 1048576 bytes

That is according to google calculator 31775.03 messages before it hits the staggering 1 Mb of server disk space. Maybe my calculations are wrong, but is space really a problem?

This entire subject ... meh.

Disk space is not the issue, but it seems that white space is ... it seems that people just fund it 'annoying' for some reason, even though it only eats up two vertical lines.

I couldn't' care less what we decide, (so go for it ... or not, s4n. The icon sounds fine).

@PlanetExp

Reading too much into my statement. Disk space is not a problem for those texts. My point was they add no informative value to a post, but one could assign value based on the disk space they consume. Which is extremely small. Thus making their monetary value effectively 0 in relation to the conglomerate of data.

And no, I don't buy the arguments of knowing that a user is posting via mobile provides any beneficial information (which I deem to be presented facts). What I've seen in this regard is an attempt to profile intent or character of an individual and their posts. Both are subject to ones own prejudices and interpretations, which to me enforces the lack of any real value. The closest thing to a valid argument (yet I consider to still be a stretch, but is why I suggested an icon as an alternative) is having a sort of short-circuit flag, to cause one to wonder if a post that doesn't make any sense was the victim of auto-correct. However, I would counter that such posts are generally easy to spot anyway. The only thing I would add in regards to a "mobile indicator" is that some users may not want it to be known that they are on a mobile device, which is one of the motivators for disabling them client side.

In closing, yes I find them annoying. My own prejudice is also at play, as they are a form of advertisement (hard when "tapatalk" is left by default, and soft when users edit "taptalk" out). I'm merely voicing my opinion, and subsequent vote to remove them.

In all honesty, I could really care less. They don't and never have bothered me, personally. My statements were simply my opinions as well and not reflected towards any individual(s). This entire topic is a big "whatever" to me anyway. There's more important things to do than to nitpick posts that have an automatic signature on them from whatever program that user is posting from. In the grand scheme of things, it matters not and my eyes tend to roll over them without concern when I'm reading most posts. Whatever happens, I'm fine with. Will be moving on to catch up elsewhere. :thumbsup:

Seriously, I don't understand how one single line of text bothers you. When you're reading you just keep scrolling and the whole thing is like a ghost. Your eyes see something and that something means that guy is using a phone and that's it.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

My vote is that this is apparently causing more of an issue than necessary. Quite making a mountain out of a molehill and just get rid of it for simplicity's sake. Keep it simple stupid right?

And in regard to a chat room or channel, I can provide my services to monitor it through the day for a while. Just throwing that out there.

In all honesty' date=' I could really care less. They don't and never have bothered me' date=' personally.[/quote'']

I'm guessing that Tech is an American - why do you guys always get that expression wrong? It should be "I couldn't care less"!! ;)

Sent from my pedantphone

Thanks. I am American but am also one of the few I know that actually uses that expression correctly ... I refrained from correcting Tech so as not to be too annoying, but, since you mention it, I concur :D

In all honesty' date=' I could really care less. They don't and never have bothered me' date=' personally.[/quote'']

I'm guessing that Tech is an American - why do you guys always get that expression wrong? It should be "I couldn't care less"!! ;)

Sent from my pedantphone

Thanks. I am American but am also one of the few I know that actually uses that expression correctly ... I refrained from correcting Tech so as not to be too annoying, but, since you mention it, I concur :D

Haha I'm OK with being annoying sometimes! No offence meant of course, it's just always intrigued me!

Sent from my pedantphone

:P

Posted Image

Posted Image