Autoremove all post-injected

NodusCursorius

Question

"Sent from my $devicename Tapatalk"

I humbly ask that a MyBB module, forum policy, or php-by-hand-hack removes this specific content that is conversation noise. It is essentially a signature and advertisement that steps outside of policy.

Reason 1: "All rules and guidelines for the forums also apply to signatures. This means keep it Safe-For-Work, no adverts, etc."

Reason 2: "Once you've made your query, comment or request, don't keep repeating it. Sometimes you won't get the response you hope for, but  constant repetition is a form of spamming , and won't be appreciated by the community."

Reason 3: It is a repeating signature that can spread across multiple posts, in multiple accounts, and can not be ignored or disabled by the control panel's ability to ignore post signatures.

The seemingly trivial and selfish nature of this request is self-acknowledged, but that doesn't change the repetitive nature of the advertisements.

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I don't see us using chat that much. We are all to conditioned to divide up our comment by topic… :p

Sent from the West Texas desert where it is a beautiful 70 degrees. Suck it Canada.

Chat isn't a great idea for something like STEP, since it's always better to have threads that can come up in google search, rather than a lot of information that gets lost in a chatbox. :|
This.

Sent from Florida using my Enslaved Black Alligator.

IRC and chat functionality are likely overkill, as that requires persons to monitor and administrate.

This is OT but I've offered this before. I used to administrate several IRC chatrooms for fansub groups (public and staff). I can dig through my notes on how I had it all setup I had a few layers of redundancy in case by some miracle someone managed to kick an admin off the chat or ban them or something weird; you know if people had an interest in having a chatroom.

How about an IRC so we can have offtopic conversations? I mean, people here help each other, work together and even joke a little bit. Why not have a chat option? If some issue with a step mod ends up being solved thanks to a chat conversation, be nice to post that in the thread for that mod and that's it. 

I tend to agree with the OP and find the "sent from my..." messages annoying. I completely disable them on all of my mobile apps where allowed. Seeing them from others doesn't make me think any differently about what I'm reading, nor will it ever. Crap posts are still crap posts regardless of what device they are sent from, and knowing that crap came from a mobile doesn't offer any magical insight.

That said, not worth pursuing to prevent them at the moment.

As the site grows, I think chat and IRC become more attractive to some users ... but I will almost never use them, and I have no interest in maintaining them. Furthermore, they need to be administrated consistently if we do have them, so I don't see it happening without dedicated personnel ... and those persons we need far more for the main project :yes:

It's settled. I'll start setting up an IRC channel on Freenode tonight' date=' before I can go to bed and change my mind.[/quote']

Not really 'settled'. An IRC under the auspices of STEP is an over-reach, but you are welcome to set up the 'unofficial' STEP IRC as you desire. This keeps us from being directly affiliated and thus responsible for the goings on and admin (there will be things said and inferred at some point that we don't want to be responsibel for).

;)

It's settled. I'll start setting up an IRC channel on Freenode tonight' date=' before I can go to bed and change my mind.[/quote']

Not really 'settled'. An IRC under the auspices of STEP is an over-reach' date=' but you are welcome to set up the 'unofficial' STEP IRC as you desire. This keeps us from being directly affiliated and thus responsible for the goings on and admin (there will be things said and inferred at some point that we don't want to be responsibel for).

;)

[/quote']

Is there any other kind of IRC channel?

I actually like to see those messages (in shortened form though ... "Sent from my mobile device.")

This helps us to know why someone would be contributing brief blurb to a conversation with what might otherwise seem like a callous and offhand remark. This kind of message is an added qualifier that the person is commenting under limited capacity.

Creating a reg exp to deal with all of the variations would also be difficult, and almost certainly, some would get through. perhaps it is better to ask people that their mobile sigs be generic and very brief. ... changing mine now ;)

I tend to agree with Z on this. Seeing that a user is mobile helps me to acknowledge different things from the conversation (and dedication to STEP). I tend to associate those that are keeping up with the forum even when they are away as more dedicated members. I'm not saying this is true or not. It's just how I personally interpret it.

Also seeing the "sent from" message lets me know that a user is mobile and may not be able to respond as quickly as other users. I know many of us keep up with the forums from work, myself included; however, that doesn't mean we'll be able to respond quickly because work will usually take priority. The majority of these post seem to come from staff members.

With that said, I'll change mine to something shorter that doesn't include Tapatalk in the line.

Speaking of chat and IRC, aren't those a bit too 1995 or so? I mean, of course _some_ old fashioned people still use them, but I haven't heard of anyone even mention that in past ten years.

Heck, I bet majority of internet population nowadays doesn't even know what IRC is.