Freeze/ILS and Messed up Soulcairn

DoYouEvenModBro

Question

I made sure to make the memory tweaks that are recommended on Skyrim Revisited: Legendary. I made an skse folder with skse.ini text document in MO. After that, I made one in my REAL skyrim folder too. I'm still getting ILS/Freezes now. 

Also, it sometimes gives me an error about Windows running out of RAM? I have 8 gb of ram. I know my windows is fine.

• Answers 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

OK, I don't believe we're getting anywhere fast enough.

1. Have you done anything to how much RAM Windows gets? I've seen some ingenious people suggesting you give Windows less ram and thus Skyrim gets more of it... which is daunting to say the very least.

2. Get rid of ENBoost and start Skyrim through Skyrim Launcher, not SKSE. COC soulcairn and see whether it displays properly.

-> If it doesn't display properly, disable all your optimized textures for the dlc and any mods you optimized, and check back.

-->If it still doesn't work out for you, disable all your mods, and run the game through Skyrim Launcher. If that doesn't help, make a backup and redownload Skyrim directly to your SSD (new Steam version allows to have multiple Steam Libraries on multiple hard drives)

I can't even get into the soul cairn boneyard with coc commands. I think that is a separate issue from the memory problem as the floating grass in ONLY happening in that one cell.

I haven't messed with anything related to how much RAM windows gets. The ONLY thing I did was reduce the page file on the SSD from 8 gb (i think thats default) to 1gb. 

Enboost was updated but the wiki was not. Set the VRAM line to nothing and leave it blank. Then set auto detect to true. Also, try 128 for reserve memory. Your card can handle that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alrighty. I'll do that and then get back to you. Thanks for all the help. 

Would the fact that I reduced the page file on my SSD from 8 gb (default) to 1 gb have anything to do with this? probably not, right? 

Yes, please merge them. I was JUST going to refer everyone to that thread. I originally made two threads. One for the boneyard floating grass issue and one for the memory issue. They became one in the same.

by any chance are you using a 32-bit windows?only a x64 windows can use more than 4gb of ram

No. I am using 64-bit. 

Instead of reducing the pagefile' date=' turn it off completely.[hr']

Merged threads.

I think I had tried that once but it gave me problems. Better to just be on the safe side and keep it at 1 GB. The Page File wouldn't have anything to do with my problem, right? It's most likely that I need to fix the ENBlocal.ini [Memory] settings by reducing the reservedmemory and putting the videomb to auto-detect? We discovered that that was the problem causing Skyrim to run out of memory, right?

Just an update on the floating grass issue in the boneyard. I found the problem.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/459497-vurts-skyrim-flora-overhaul/page-643

FYI: Turns out it's a bug from ELFX - Dawnguard. Anyone else wanna try it and confirm?

I can scratch that one off my list of problems. I'll make the changes to ENBlocal.ini that you have all suggested when I am home from work tomorrow. Tonight I will be staying at my friend's place. Thanks for everyone's help. If it starts to work, I owe each and every single one of you a beer, especially torminator and essarrbee ;-). You guys have been a HUGE help.

The pagefile is a copy of your RAM on your HDD/SSD which allows windows to write excessive crash dumps or do a fast reboot (from standby mode). You don't need it' date=' and setting it to 1 GB if you have 8 GB of RAM doesn't make any sense.[/quote']

Why wouldn't reducing it make any sense? It gives you back space on your SSD

https://www.overclock.net/t/1133897/windows-7-ssd-tweaking-guide

Reduce Page File Size

A)Hit Start and right-click on Computer and select Properties

B)On the left side of the window, click Advanced System Settings.

C)Under the Advanced tab, in the Performance section click Settings…

D)Click the Advanced tab, and under Virtual Memory, Click Change

E)Uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.

F)Highlight your SSD and underneath it, click the Custom Size radio button.

G)Under Initial size and Maximum size, type in 1024 and then click Set and click OK. You must reboot for this to take effect

Well' date=' if you don't intend to keep a HDD copy of your whole RAM, why waste 1 GB on 1/8 of your RAM? How do you know that 1/8 of your RAM you actually want to be in your pagefile is in your pagefile?[/quote']

I don't know enough about pagefiles and how they work to answer that. My understanding is that with an SSD and 8 gb of ram, the pagefile is never actually going to be used (since i will probably not go over 8 gb of ram) so I should either remove it from the ssd or shrink it to a smaller size to get back gbs on my ssd. That SSD optimization guide says to reduce it to 1 gb and another SSD guide says to remove it completely. Should I Just leave it on 'system managed?' Perhaps there is somethign I am not understanding. 

Honestly, now I'm thinking that memory error is because I reduced the page file. I remember one I moved the page file to a HDD instead of the SSD and I got that SAME memory error when gaming..... I'm going to put it back to Windows 7 default and see what happens. I never understood this pagefile stuff.

If you don't know enough about a pagefile then why are messing with it? I really don't get why people trust these tweaking articles to do a better job setting up the OS than a $300 billion company.

Bro, you should also know better than to trust that type of stuff too. You've been around here enough to know a lot those tweaks people come up with break more things than they fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk