Buying rant

Octopuss

So I decided to upgrade my aging 1GB Radeon 5850 a few months ago. I ordered this shiny Asus R9 280x on 6th december and have been waiting for it since. It just so happened I made the decision when the crytocurrency mining craze boomed the most. If I placed my order not even two weeks earlier, I'd gotten the damn card withing a week. Just UGGGHHHH!!!

On top of that, the store messed my order up (and I even found out about that by accident), and people who ordered after me were getting their cards delivered while I kept waiting and waiting. The waiting line is measured in tens of orders, like 50 or so currently (could be 100 for all I know).

As a bonus, this card is super rare (and very sought after), and probably only 2-3 pieces show up every week.

Of course, with my crap luck shipments completely stopped right after my order was fixed.

I must be the most unlucky guy to ever walk on Earth.

What's the longest you have ever waited for something to be available? (preorders excluded)

Wow. that is an order I would just cancel... and then order from somewhere else. It is clear that the company has made a critical error somewhere.. and it is just bad business practice to let any customer wait that long without some sort of reasoning, and/or compensation.

That store is on its arse really, this was just the last drop. I've been using it since 2002 but it went downhill in recent years, and now I am simply done with it.

The trouble is the card is equally unavailable anywhere, so at this point it's best to just keep the order and wait for the damn cards to get shipped into the country :(

I remember my parents ordering furniture. They had become established and could spend money on good furniture. It wasn't sitting in a Big Box Shop; you ordered it and it was made for you. The first piece took almost 2 months. There were one or two problems so some pieces had to be sent back. It was about 2 years before everything arrived.

Octopuss:

I'm sorry to say this, but for the 290 I wouldn't go with DCU II. The VRMs get pretty hot and Asus uses Elpida VRAM on them. Afaik the Sapphire tri-x and Powercolor pcs+ (if you get one with Hynix) are best. But they don't have the custom Asus VRM, so they are more prone to coil whine (like my card, went to RMA).

If you stick with the Asus card, make sure there is an HDD between the front intake in your case and the cooler fins, or the airflow in your case might work against the DCU II. That is probably why it performs worse in closed cases in some reviews.