MO & Multiple GPUs

Breems

Question

I've searched the web/forums far and wide for help in this issue, but I haven't seen a trace of documentation.

I'm playing Skyrim on a laptop and thus have dual GPUs (Intel HD Graphics and nVidia GeForce GT 730m). When running Skyrim via MO (either through the launcher or the game .exe), it does not recognize my dedicated GPU (the 730m). If I run the Skyrim Launcher from MO, the only graphics adapter listed in the ComboBox is the Intel HD Graphics 4000 one.

I'm fairly confused. The game runs perfectly outside MO and recognizes the dedicated GPU.

Solutions I have tried that did not work:

• Updating/reinstalling graphics drivers
  • Reinstalling Mod Organizer
  • Restarting my PC

13 answers to this question

Thanks, but that didn't quite do the trick.

I already have the Optimus fix enabled, and I have also set TESV.exe to use the dedicated GPU in the nVidia Control Panel. Like I said, it works perfectly when I run vanilla Skyrim.

This issue only arises when running the Skyrim Launcher or Skyrim through Mod Organizer.

Don't ever use the launcher to launch Skyrim, it will reset parts of your INIs. MO uses separate INIs for profiles, so make sure that your GPU is set in them. Click the little puzzle piece and go to INI Editor. Make sure line sD3DDevice= is correct.

Also, when I use the Optimus fix ENB still shows intel in the enb startup text, but in task manager my gpu is running, so that might be what is happening.

Don't ever use the launcher to launch Skyrim, it will reset parts of your INIs. MO uses separate INIs for profiles, so make sure that your GPU is set in them. Click the little puzzle piece and go to INI Editor. Make sure line sD3DDevice= is correct.

Also, when I use the Optimus fix ENB still shows intel in the enb startup text, but in task manager my gpu is running, so that might be what is happening.

The issue is still present when launching TESV.exe through MO, i.e. not using the Launcher. I checked my taskbar while running the game, and the GPU is not active.

The sD3DDevice= in SkyrimPrefs.ini does show my Intel HD Integrated Graphics. This shouldn't be a problem since that line is also incorrect when running Skyrim outside MO, but in that case it does use my dedicated GPU. I tried changing that line in the Mod Organizer INI files, but once I launch the game through MO, it seems to ignore it completely.

Are you using a Thinkpad 440p? I'm having the exact same problem as you and have tried similar steps. Skyrim uses dedicated graphics when running vanilla or launching from skse, but even changing the .ini file in the Mod Organizer doesn't allow it to use dedicated graphics. Also, the optimus fix doesn't seem to be relevant for this problem; there's no d3d9.dll anywhere in the Skyrim folder.

I find all this especially odd since we probably have the same laptop, or at least similar computers.

I've ran Skyrim with dedicated graphics in the past using the Mod Manager. It's only after reinstalling everything that I've encountered this problem.

Edit: Since the last update was February 2nd, I think that this is an issue with the latest version.

Edit #2: I installed Mod Organizer v. 1.0.10 and ran Skyrim. Dedicated graphics now work (I didn't risk running the launcher through MO). This must be an issue with the latest version. Try this out and let us know if it works for you too.

Are you using a Thinkpad 440p? I'm having the exact same problem as you and have tried similar steps. Skyrim uses dedicated graphics when running vanilla or launching from skse, but even changing the .ini file in the Mod Organizer doesn't allow it to use dedicated graphics. Also, the optimus fix doesn't seem to be relevant for this problem; there's no d3d9.dll anywhere in the Skyrim folder.

I find all this especially odd since we probably have the same laptop, or at least similar computers.

I've ran Skyrim with dedicated graphics in the past using the Mod Manager. It's only after reinstalling everything that I've encountered this problem.

Edit: Since the last update was February 2nd, I think that this is an issue with the latest version.

Edit #2: I installed Mod Organizer v. 1.0.10 and ran Skyrim. Dedicated graphics now work (I didn't risk running the launcher through MO). This must be an issue with the latest version. Try this out and let us know if it works for you too.

Well, I'm using an Acer Aspire v3-571G, but our problem seems identical.

Great idea to test the older version of Mod Organizer. I just re-installed the game and all related tools recently after a few months of not playing and didn't think to check that. Using the older version worked for me as well.

I suppose that will work, but I would much rather be able to run the most updated version. I'll report this as a bug on The Bug Genie, so hopefully it will be fixed down the line.

Bug Genie Issue: https://issue.tannin.eu/tbg/modorganizer/issues/555

Well, unfortunately I'm unable to display any of the three comments on this bug... do I have to register to view them?

However I've found out, that my install was faulty. I had accidentally replaced the d3d9.dll from the Optimus fix with the one from enbdev before trying to launch from MO.

So at least for me on my laptop it's the same, whether I'm using Skyrim Launcher directly or through MO. Sorry for the inconvenience.