MO and DLCs; failed to access "access is denied (5)"

CaptainError

Question

I have the three DLCs, for Skyrim, but when I try to use MO to load them I get the error:

"an error occurred: failed to access C:\Program Files (x86)\ The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\data\DLC Name.esm (Access is denied. [5])"

Where DLC Name is either Dragonborn, Dawnguard, or HearthFires depending on which DLC I tried to have MO load. I haven't seen this issue anywhere else, so I posted here. I don't use any other external applications - such as BOSS - with Skyrim, only MO. My OS is Windows 7.

I am using MO in the first place because, even after reinstalling Skyrim, I am unable to change the load order of DLCs or mods in Data Files - the arrows are gone. I haven't found anything pertaining to that issue, either, so I feel that the issue may not solely be MO. I'm using MO in the hopes that I can bypass the Data Files load mechanism and play Skyrim with the DLCs and some of my favorite mods.

If this makes any difference, I technically am using a pirated version of Skyrim and its DLCs, but I have before and not encountered an issue like this. If it makes you feel any better, I did pay for my copies, unlike most. I hate Steam, so I pirated it and then sent the cash value of the games, plus a little extra, to Bethesda with a letter explaining what the money was for. If you're wondering why I didn't just buy a disc that doesn't run using Steam, that's because... well, let's just say that discs in my home have a bad reputation of being scratched or broken in half by rambunctious critters who like to murder CD cases.

I forgot to add in my first edit, but, yes, while this appears to be some sort of permissions issue, I am using an administrator's account. Running Mod Organizer specifically using the "Run as administrator" option does not fix the issue, either.

Hey Kelmych, thanks for the reply. I was aware of the UAC issue, and in my case, all my installs are in a non-UAC folder (C:\Games). I still get the error with the latest MO, but am able to use the older version (1.0.10) without any problems. MO 1.1.1 still wants to delete and replace all the ".txt" files in the profiles when starting it up in a different Windows user account than the one it was created in. I'm not sure why MO 1.1.1 is trying to delete the files or why, given that the folder "C:\Games" is not a UAC directory, Windows is trapping it. Odd......

Thank you Tannin, but it still doesn't work properly. The owner is set to my account for the entire Skyrim directory, and specifically the DLCs. I even did it for Mod Organizer, but it still gives me the error.

Not sure if you're still around, but I think you messed up:

When you said your account is already set to owner, you probably neglected to look further down at the section labeled (users). Regardless of account level or ownership, you MUST modify (users) to allow you to access these files properly. Now, it may try to trick you when you edit under this tab. You'll notice that all of your options are greyed out under "add", and "edit" is also greyed out. This can be fixed simply by clicking the button bellow "add" and "edit", called "disable inheritance". When this gives you a prompt, choose convert to explicit permissions. When the window closes, you'll be able to edit your permissions. Otherwise, follow the instructions Tannin gave you. 

It's also of note that you will need to do this for both the files in the folder you are trying to manipulate and any other folders to which these changes would subsequently carry over. For instance, if you are trying to install RealVision's RV_installer.vbs from MO. You'd have to apply the above to both MOs folder and that of your Skyrim main folder.

Hope this helps.

Edited by CowboyCokie