Small Freezing only in Exterior combat due to CPU not fully being used

neonxeon

Question

hey guys i pretty much told my problem in the title....

yep my game stutters and freezes heavily(like for 2-3 seconds) ONLY during exterior cell combat with npcs like bandits,wolves etc(though i can fight with 3 dragons at once outside without any stutter)

i tried identifying the problem and i think i did it with skyrim performance monitor

it seems like when i am in outside exterior cells my cpu spikes heavily and it always goes between 50%-90%

BUT when i am in interior cells like any city or a dungeon i dont freeze at all(even when fighting 15 draugers at once)

and at that time i see my cpu is about 95-100% used and even when i am idling in cities its still 100% used....as a result i get smooth gameplay in exterior..30+ fps always

but when i am in outside combat fighting even with 3 bandits causes my game to freeze for 2-3 seconds and resume then freeze again untill i finish the fight

so what do you think is the problem guys??any tweaks should i do to my inis??

my mod list

https://www.dropbox.com/s/upq9j4e30yqbxqj/LoadOrder_Skyrim_2014-01-20T18-20-57.txt

fix mods applied(shesons mem patch,ENboost,HialGO boost)

EDIT: My PC config

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

GPU Nvidia 9800 GT

VRAM 1 GB DDR5

RAM 4 GB DDR3

8 answers to this question

please stop criticizing the rig guys -.-

i could run vanilla skyrim without any hiccups....and if you check out other threads other people with more powerful rigs still have this combat stuttering such as this thread https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=1982

although i was hoping for any program or tweak to kind of remedy this problem from the community :)

and FYI i still have 150 mb vram to spare all times..... since i am not running any texture mod or graphic enhancer

EDIT:i heard that onetweaks borderless window mode can fix stuttering is it true???if so how to set it up? :)

since i am not running any texture mod or graphic enhancer

Not sure if you're not aware or just trolling tbh... You have SFO regular which is one of the most performance itnensive mods (if not, THE most) available. WATER, SMIM... And you add a ton of NPCs through mods as well as a very large amounts of scripts which I think not even the most experienced modders with super systems here run at the same time. 

We're trying to determine your problem and your rig is just not up to par to run a mods list like this. Probably not what you want to hear at all but this is the way I see it.

So, your exterior bandits are a problem, as i understood.

Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp=1 <---- disable this one first. Go battle and tell me, if it worked. Flora/Trees/LOD texture mods are a culprit on graphic cards, even newer and stronger ones.

Convenient Horses - Faster Sprint.esp=1 - believe it or not, this could make exterior stutter/lag even if you are NOT on horseback. Try as 2nd option to disable this one and test.

If that didn't help, start a new game with your current setup and check if you still have those problems. If not (after extensive testruns please), then your current savegame has a problem most likely. Then perhaps it is sensible to enable Papyrus log and go again for ingame bandit-battles with your current savegame til it freezes a few. That should give you a hint, where to look. Enable Papyrus logging:

[Papyrus]

bEnableLogging=1

bEnableTrace=1

bLoadDebugInformation=1

find the log next to your savegame-folder somewhere.

Did you add or uninstall mods frequently or lately and if yes, which ones ? Could be, your problem is simply a corrupt savegame due too many installations/uninstallations. Ah, and: did you open your rig lately (for dusting or the like)? Might check the CPU attachment and see if the cooling-paste or pad are still in place as it should be. Consider sensible board/cpu driver updates too.

And if you did update your nVidia driver lately (knowing there was a beta-release a 2 weeks ago), i hope very much you did a clean update, otherwise that could be a problem (considering nvidia's screwed up installers etc.). Don't install all the extras via custom installation and tick the box below (yep, it kicks your profiles, back them up first, eventually), install only the basic drivers and no 3-D vision except you watch movies and use applications requiring 3-D glasses. How to remove/update your graphic drivers effectively, quite frankly, it's the most effective method i did stumble over in the last 6 years. Bit a hassle, easy enough though: https://www.overclock.net/t/1150443/how-to-remove-your-nvidia-gpu-drivers

I am amazed your mod-setup runs on your system. A dual core and THAT graphic card ... was the **** once, wasn't it? =) Well, fairly, some credit goes to the former posters, they are quite right. Your rig isn't really anymore for a heavy setup like that (you have quite some intense mods, some using alot of scripts too - which indicates cpu troubles ---> scripts = math = cpu + consider the natural 3.1gb limitations of the game-engine).

Have you installed Stable uGridsToLoad? --> https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41592/?

What is your uGridsToLoad in your Skyrim.ini set to? Do not use more then value 5.

Perhaps you revert to a pristine Skyrim.ini and start with STEP alterations and then add carefully one by one your present setting, testing each change ingame with bandit-battles. If you use ENB, disable that for the time being. If that alone already cured your problem - don't play with ENB.

Not sure if you're not aware or just trolling tbh... You have SFO regular which is one of the most performance itnensive mods (if not, THE most) available. WATER, SMIM... And you add a ton of NPCs through mods as well as a very large amounts of scripts which I think not even the most experienced modders with super systems here run at the same time. 

We're trying to determine your problem and your rig is just not up to par to run a mods list like this. Probably not what you want to hear at all but this is the way I see it.

sfo huh?i actually never thought it could cause lags since the trees use vanilla texture but yes that could be the problem because before even installing WATER and SMIM(vanilla texture and meshes version) (which i installed at last) i still experienced combat lag....

and all the posters are saying that script running mods are bad...well somewhere i heard that when there are too many script mods ONLY the scripts get lagged(you know slow trigger before script starts) but it shouldn't stutter the entire game...but i could hear wrong besides i am not running script intensive mods like skyre,frostfall,wet and cold,footprint which are ACTUALLY considered script intensive

and my save is 20 mb after 70 hours which i dont think is bloated

but yes i think my CPU is getting bottlenecked by my GPU because my GPU cant handle all the polygons added by SFO..

okay guys i will test it out without SFO and report back if my CPU doesnt spike during a fight...

and yes i have the stable ugrids and my setting is at default....5 i guess? since i never tried modifying ugrid..

though 1 thing i should tell you guys that i had a BETA version of EFF mod when starting a new save but after playing 50 hours i switched to AFT...now there are EFF errors in papyrus logs but they start whenever i fire up the game not in fights only

sfo huh?i actually never thought it could cause lags since the trees use vanilla texture but yes that could be the problem because before even installing WATER and SMIM(vanilla texture and meshes version) (which i installed at last) i still experienced combat lag....

and all the posters are saying that script running mods are bad...well somewhere i heard that when there are too many script mods ONLY the scripts get lagged(you know slow trigger before script starts) but it shouldn't stutter the entire game...but i could hear wrong besides i am not running script intensive mods like skyre,frostfall,wet and cold,footprint which are ACTUALLY considered script intensive

and my save is 20 mb after 70 hours which i dont think is bloated

but yes i think my CPU is getting bottlenecked by my GPU because my GPU cant handle all the polygons added by SFO..

okay guys i will test it out without SFO and report back if my CPU doesnt spike during a fight...

and yes i have the stable ugrids and my setting is at default....5 i guess? since i never tried modifying ugrid..

though 1 thing i should tell you guys that i had a BETA version of EFF mod when starting a new save but after playing 50 hours i switched to AFT...now there are EFF errors in papyrus logs but they start whenever i fire up the game not in fights only

Yes, it is very much recommended to chose a setup for a gameplay and not change it anymore til you are done. Mod Organizer helps there since you can setup different profiles. Or if you want to test mods, make a backup of the gamesave before installing and if you decide, it's not it, you have your backup to retreat to. (And yes, testing mods with an existing game usually means you 'lose' your progress since install, but you avoid Papyrus going wild).

Do you have a savegame without Papyrus errors ? If sfo uninstall did help, yay you. If not, load a save before EFF Beta and check.