CJ2311

A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

It's incredibly easy to do yourself:  Merge Plugin Script

Yes, I've done it a few times myself.  I'm suggesting a central, managed, known good merge by the experts so that hundreds (thousands?) of people don't need to reinvent the wheel themselves.

Edited by steveley

I actually prefer doing those kinds of things myself, so I know full well what's in them. (And who to blame if there's a SNAFU... :D )

Yes, I've done it a few times myself.  I'm suggesting a central, managed, known good merge by the experts so that hundreds (thousands?) of people don't need to reinvent the wheel themselves.

Its kinda easy to predict if there will be a good merge or a bad merge.

Yes, there are some unknowns but hey, when in doubt "Check for Errors"

Mator has implemented a system but hardly anyone uses it. I was talking with him the other day and he's like "You know you could report successful merges, right?". Little did I know, he had a .jar that would submit successful merges. Well, that is over simplified but there is definitely a system.

The most difficult part about merging, in my opinion, is remembering what needs to be patched after a merge.

Please consider a merged REGS Patch for your next update.  Something that Fixes NSutR, RR, Riften NavFull, 3DNPC, & STEP Extended.  Throw in SRLE as well and you give us back 4 ESP slots.  If you are feeling ultra generous, a link to a merge of all the ETaC patches would save us upwards of another dozen slots...  Please have pity on us poor ESP capped souls.

It's incredibly easy to do yourself:  Merge Plugin Script

I actually prefer doing those kinds of things myself, so I know full well what's in them. (And who to blame if there's a SNAFU... :D )

Its kinda easy to predict if there will be a good merge or a bad merge.

Yes, there are some unknowns but hey, when in doubt "Check for Errors"

Mator has implemented a system but hardly anyone uses it. I was talking with him the other day and he's like "You know you could report successful merges, right?". Little did I know, he had a .jar that would submit successful merges. Well, that is over simplified but there is definitely a system.

The most difficult part about merging, in my opinion, is remembering what needs to be patched after a merge.

I would not classify steveley's suggested merge as (very) "easy".

Most of those patches include NavMesh overrides, and so after merging them, the NavMesh Info (NAVI) record needs to be deleted from the merged patch, and rebuilt in CK.

But loading the merged patch in CK requires temporarily changing all of its masters into false-flagged .esp plugins (so set as a master, but still with the .esp file extension so the merged patch recognizes them.) This is because CK will only load one .esp plugin - everything else has to be a master.

Once you've got that all set up, you load the merged plugin in CK, and then save it. To be on the safe side, I also add the .bsa files of any of those master plugins in CK's .ini file, but CJ has already said this is not necessary if you are only rebuilding the NAVI record.

Not re-building the NavMesh will result in problems with NavMesh connections and "doors" from one cell to another.

This has already be brought up in this thread (start reading from my post here.), and is highlighted in one of missjennabee's very informative forum thread stickies for ETaC.

I don't want to scare people off, but if you're getting these patches to fix conflicting NavMeshes between mods, and then don't rebuild the NavMesh Info record, you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

Edited by keithinhanoi
  • Upvote 2

Version 4.0.6:

Guide Update:

• Added The Gray Cowl of Nocturnal by MannyGT.
Maintaining a merged version of the ETaC would be a pain in the behind what with having to update it with each new version, plus people are bound to ask for custom merged patches...

I've read this thread from page 171 to present, has there been a final verdict on SRLE+REGS and the missing userlist rules for various ETaC Patches?

Specifically:

ETaC Complete - BOYD NPC Fix.esp
ETaC - Whiterun Ext ELFX Patch.esp
ETaC - Whiterun Ext CRF Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete WC Holidays Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete RS Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete NoSnow Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete ELFX Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete Atlas Patch.esp
ETaC - Better Dynamic Snow Patch.esp

The override of ETaC - Complete.esp after 3DNPC.esp also seems to cause some ordering issues. Any solution?

OVERRIDE: ETaC - Complete.esp
AFTER: 3DNPC.esp

Maybe try and merge those patches. They merge up easily too. Saves plugin spots and less rules to make.

Hey, we were talking about Relighting Skyrim and/or ELE Lite for STEP and someone mentioned it might cause many conflicts with REGS or some other packs. Is this actually true? Anyone using them together and know what if any type of patching is required?

the only issue with ELE is not applying to new interiors.

I believe most are using either no lighting mods or ELFX + ELE combo that SRLE uses.

From using ELFX + ELE I havnt seen anything abnormal except light culling on meshes (or whatever people are calling it, flickering maybe) when ELFX meshes are overwritten by vanilla ones.

EDIT: ETaC is going to include an RS patch in the next update.

MJB says it in the mod page.

Here's hoping the guide doesn't get too much affected by Valve/Bethesda's decision to make mods on the workshop paid...

• Upvote 1

Here's hoping the guide doesn't get too much affected by Valve/Bethesda's decision to make mods on the workshop paid...

I'm not sure how we manage this either. I think I'll open a dialogue privately with people that write guides to see how we should approach this a little later when we have some more info on the way mods will be selected by the Steam Workshop.

Hi,

I'm in the process of reinstalling Skyrim using SRLE and REGS as a base. I'm thinking of dropping JK's Skyrim since it destroys my fps in several areas such as the Skyforge in Whiterun, despite running on a 4790K @ 5 GHz + 980 OC. I tried to remove ivy then all flora added by the esp with TES5Edit following someone's advice on the mod page, but that didn't really help. Dipping from about 40 fps (with a demanding ENB) down to 22-25 in an heartbeat is brutal and only happens with JK's mod - not even into the forest now that I stick to SFO and stay away from additional grass mods. So, I'll either ignore major cities overhauls or switch back to Dawn of Skyrim which performs better on my side.

Here's my question: can I still use the replacer you provided some time ago to ensure compatibility with Cutting Room Floor and Interesting NPCs - Dawnofriften.esp, I think - or is it out of date/incompatible with the current guide ? If it isn't, can I just load it after DawnofSkyrim.esp (now all-in-one), CRF and 3D PC ? Will it work with Better Entrances - REGS Version ?

Thanks a lot !

I'm afraid the old patch was only for the standalone versions of the Dawn of Skyrim mods, not with the all-in-one version. So you'll have to either use the standalone versions of DoS, or to change the master name in wrye bash (but that's not guaranteed to work)

I'd recommend using the standalone versions anyway, so you can pick your favorite option for each city. Also, the DoS mods cause similar FPS drops anyway.

Hi,

I'm in the process of reinstalling Skyrim using SRLE and REGS as a base. I'm thinking of dropping JK's Skyrim since it destroys my fps in several areas such as the Skyforge in Whiterun, despite running on a 4790K @ 5 GHz + 980 OC. I tried to remove ivy then all flora added by the esp with TES5Edit following someone's advice on the mod page, but that didn't really help. Dipping from about 40 fps (with a demanding ENB) down to 22-25 in an heartbeat is brutal and only happens with JK's mod - not even into the forest now that I stick to SFO and stay away from additional grass mods. So, I'll either ignore major cities overhauls or switch back to Dawn of Skyrim which performs better on my side.

Here's my question: can I still use the replacer you provided some time ago to ensure compatibility with Cutting Room Floor and Interesting NPCs - Dawnofriften.esp, I think - or is it out of date/incompatible with the current guide ? If it isn't, can I just load it after DawnofSkyrim.esp (now all-in-one), CRF and 3D PC ? Will it work with Better Entrances - REGS Version ?

Thanks a lot !

I deleted quite a lot of hidden clutters manually from JK's Skyrim especially whiterun. This make it run much smoother.