A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

I have a 970 too and if you monitor its usage at those spots where the FPS is 20-30, you will notice your GPU sitting at like 40% usage or something. Processor seems to be bottlenecking here. I got a few frames by overclocking it and 1 or 2 frames more by OCing RAM but it's mostly a shadow issue in JK's towns (and ETaC's villages). I've mentioned it before I think but turning down fShadowDistance to 3000-3500 really does wonders for your FPS, you go from like 20 to 35-40. You will have to live with shadow pop in though.

• +1 1

I get a nice 60 FPS with my R9 280X.

But then again I'm not using an ENB, just the new imaginator ::P:

yeah thats just weird.

For me ENB never really affected frames.

I have a 970 too and if you monitor its usage at those spots where the FPS is 20-30, you will notice your GPU sitting at like 40% usage or something. Processor seems to be bottlenecking here. I got a few frames by overclocking it and 1 or 2 frames more by OCing RAM but it's mostly a shadow issue in JK's towns (and ETaC's villages). I've mentioned it before I think but turning down fShadowDistance to 3000-3500 really does wonders for your FPS, you go from like 20 to 35-40. You will have to live with shadow pop in though.

yeah, that helped. As long as the cities are cluttered, you'll never see it.

CJ, maybe add that as a recommended tweak for people that do not have an i5/i7 because it almost doubled the fps.

Im looking at this deal. Lets see what I can put out of my hat this month.

Yeah it varies a lot even with that 'tweak', it just dips to 30 instead of <20 in the worst places for me now. I also get drops when running around but that's probably because I can be a bit overambitious when it comes to high res texture replacers. I have a i5 3570k and overclocked it from 3,5 to 4,3Ghz. Not the newest processor on the market but I consider it very capable still.. I'm not sure buying a newer i5/i7 will solve the fps issues, it will probably get you a couple of frames but if it's just for Skyrim.. well it's a lot of cash.

Yeah it varies a lot even with that 'tweak', it just dips to 30 instead of <20 in the worst places for me now. I also get drops when running around but that's probably because I can be a bit overambitious when it comes to high res texture replacers. I have a i5 3570k and overclocked it from 3,5 to 4,3Ghz. Not the newest processor on the market but I consider it very capable still.. I'm not sure buying a newer i5/i7 will solve the fps issues, it will probably get you a couple of frames but if it's just for Skyrim.. well it's a lot of cash.

I get a nice 60 FPS with my R9 280X.

But then again I'm not using an ENB, just the new imaginator ::P:

CJ has the same amount of RAM as I do. Although, mine may be faster.

I have a 970 and an AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.2-3.8GHz

I get 20-30 fps in cities.

There is a good comparison. I get some money together and then see.

I should specify that I'm using the shadow distance tweak and have reduced the shadows to 2048 despite using the ultra settings.

It really depends on what city you're in and at what angle you're looking at things too. Sure, you might get 60 fps in some spots (depending on your enb) but I'm just trying to say that you shouldn't expect miracles. I can only say that I was disappointed after overclocking my i5 and upgrading to a 970 and still seeing the lowish FPS in parts of JK's cities :p But yeah, it's your money and you should definitely see an improvement at least

About the RAM, I wonder how much of a difference it makes. I played around with overclocking mine a bit (I think I might have the same as CJ) and for example the difference between 1600Mhz vs 1866Mhz was like 2 FPS in the CPU heavy areas. Timings on the 1866 OC weren't that tight but I considered the difference negligible. I've considered upgrading to a tightly timed 2133Mhz set but I'm not sure they're worth the money

Also, I might try out the Ivy thing.. thanks for that Lonewolf.

Edited by Pretendeavor