A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

Just finalizing the navmesh would be enough. Of course you need to make sure that Cutting Room Floor is loaded before JK's Riften in order to keep the navmesh from the latter.

For some reason when I try to load 3DNPC.esp, the ck is like file is in use.

1ByuCaZ

Hitting cancel seems to be fine...

EDIT: now every time I try to edit the nav mesh the CK crashes....

Maybe a restart will work *shrugs*

That's it, exactly - but those are the steps for plugin from merged compatibility patches.

Yes, if only one of your compatibility patches contained the Navigation Mesh Info Map (NAVI) record, then that means none of the other patches merged contained Navigation data, and your NAVI does not need to be rebuilt, and so you don't need to load it into the CK.

The NAVI record is a bit of an anomaly in the way Skyrim handles it as compared to other kinds of records. Think of the NAVI as a kind of directory for all of the NavMesh data in the plugin. Every .esp plugin or .esm master in your load order that has any NavMesh data must also have its own NAVI record, unique to that plugin / master. When you run Skyrim, it essentially combines all of the NAVI records together, but also following the "rule of one" for any plugins that make edits to the same NavMesh records. The NAVI record is always the same FormID in any plugin that has it: 00012FB4.

CJ might be able to clarify on this, but if you are just opening a plugin created from merged compatibility patches to immediately save it to create the NAVI record, then I don't believe you need to unpack any BSA archives. Of course BSA archives would only go with any of the merged compatiblility patch's master plugins. I've never seen a compatibility patch that had an accompanying BSA.

However, if you are re-building the NAVI record for a merge of different mod's plugins, then yes - you should have all loose assets available for the CK to access.

In the case of re-building a new NAVI record for a plugin of merged compatibility patches, if you're worried about the BSA thing for their respective masters that also need to be available to the CK, then you can avoid having to unpack the BSA's by adding them to the CK's SkyrimEditor.ini file.

Just open SkyrimEditor.ini, and search for SResourceArchiveList2 and add all the BSA names to the end of the list, like this:

SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa, HearthFires.bsa, Dragonborn.bsa, AdditionalMasterMod1.bsa, AdditionalMasterMod2.bsa 

This will tell the CK to load those BSAs when starting up. Make sure to check the EditorWarnings.txt file that there aren't any errors of assets not being loaded, which would indicate either you fogot to add a BSA, or you did something wrong.

If you're not sure what "normal" CK startup errors are, then fire up the CK and make the Active Plugin one from a really simple mod that doesn't have any BSA or loose files. Make a duplicate of the EditorWarnings.txt file after that so you can compare it to when you load any merged plugin for rebuilding the NAVI record.

Best of luck with it!

Thank you very much. I successfully created NAVI map for my merged patch (ETaC and REGS patch). 

Yes, the Navigation Mesh Info Map record in your merged plugin does in fact only contain data from the last selected patch in your merged, which means it is missing important data about NavMeshes and "teleport" doors for all the other merged plugins which have the Navigation Mesh Info Map record.

In the ETaC forum thread on merging plugins, Missjenabee explains what to do about the special Navigation Mesh Info Map record when doing a merge with two or more plugins that have that record.

In TES5Edit, just delete the Navigation Mesh Info Map record from your merged plugin and save it, load it into CK, and then just save it. By doing this, CK will rebuild the Navigation Mesh Info Map for all of the merged NavMesh records in the plugin.

That's the simple explanation, though, because to load a patch plugin into the CK, you need to set all of its masters as "false esm" plugins (using TES5Edit or Wrye Bash), because CK won't load more than one regular .esp, but can load multiple masters.

After saving the merged plugin, you then need to turn off the .esm flag in all the plugin's masters so everything is back to normal again.

A bit tricky, but full necessary for things to work correctly.

Here's the ETaC Forum thread to read, but note that her instructions on merging patches is not quite correct in my opinion.

First, I believe you should not change all the merged plugin's masters to have the ESM flag until after using the Merge Plugins script in TES5Edit. Second, although in the instructions for merging the separate ETaC module plugins she mentions deleting the Navigation Mesh Info Map record and opening / saving in CK to rebuild it, she doesn't include that step in her instructions for merging patch plugins. It most definitely needs to be done if more than one of your patch plugins you are merging has a Navigation Mesh Info Map record.

Just so I'm clear if and when I encounter it, what do we do if we're merging patches into the master if both have nav?  I'm assuming we don't change the master to an esm before we load it into the ck but I just want to make sure.

Thanks.

Just so I'm clear if and when I encounter it, what do we do if we're merging patches into the master if both have nav?  I'm assuming we don't change the master to an esm before we load it into the ck but I just want to make sure.

The plugins that are a master to the merged plugin must to have the ESM flag otherwise the CK will not save the masters. 

You don't need to change the extension, only the flag needs editing.

hishutup is right, but just to elaborate a bit more - 

The CK can only load one active .esp plugin, and if that plugin has anything outside of Skyrim.esm and the DLCs' .esm listed as masters, then those other plugins must be available with the master flag in order for the CK to open.

So, it doesn't matter if you are trying to open a plugin merged from just compatibility patches, or a plugin merged from several mods and their compatibility patches. The rule is the same - CK will want to load everything in that merged plugins' masters list.

You definitely don't want to change the file extension from .esp to .esm to get CK to work, because it actually won't work at all. A plugin's master list uses exact names, including extension, so if you change it from .esp to .esm then the CK will not load anything due to a missing master. Just change the master flag in TES5Edit / ESMify in Wrye Bash, and after you've saved the plugin in CK, don't forget to turn off the master flag / ESPify any of the merged plugin's masters.

Edited by keithinhanoi

Small-ish update to the guide :

Version 4.0.4: Guide Update:
  • Removed JK's individual mods and replaced them with JK's Skyrim.
  • Removed Dawn of Riften (Replaced by JK's Riften).
REGS - Patches Update:
  • Removed the Better Dawnguard Replacer (Not useful).
  • Replaced the Riften navmesh patch.
Nernie's Replacer Update:
  • Fixed two wild edits.

•  
  • +1 2

@CJ & keith

I have a question about merging ETaC and REGS patches including REGS Patch - Riften NavFull.esp. There are several ETaC patches that contain NAVI records. I read many helpful notes from Keith. I am still confuse about NAVI records. I deleted NAVI records from merged esp and rebuilt the NAVI record by loading/saving it in CK per ETaC and Keith's recommendation.

What happen with NAVI record in REGS Patch - Riften NavFull.esp? Do I still need to activate this esp?

Edited by darkside

@CJ & keith

I have a question about merging ETaC and REGS patches including REGS Patch - Riften NavFull.esp. There are several ETaC patches that contain NAVI records. I read many helpful notes from Keith. I am still confuse about NAVI records. I deleted NAVI records from merged esp and rebuilt the NAVI record by loading/saving it in CK per ETaC and Keith's recommendation.

What happen with NAVI record in REGS Patch - Riften NavFull.esp? Do I still need to activate this esp?

I think of the navi record as precompiled nav mesh info. When you mess with many nav meshes, saving an esp takes significantly longer due to the ck building the data.

Thanks for the update!

If we are not using Interesting NPCs, then we do not need a patch for Riften. Is this right? (i.., is there none needed to make JK's Riften compatible with CRF?)

Is crf before or after jk in the lo?

@CJ & keith

What happen with NAVI record in REGS Patch - Riften NavFull.esp? Do I still need to activate this esp?

I'm not sure what you're asking... But if you're going to merge the new REGS Patch - Riften NavFull.esp you'll have to reload the merged file in the CK and save it so it gets a new NAVI record.

Thanks for the update!

If we are not using Interesting NPCs, then we do not need a patch for Riften.  Is this right?  (i.., is there none needed to make JK's Riften compatible with CRF?)

JK's riften re-enables the south riften gate just like CRF, and since LOOT and BOSS both place JK's Skyrim after Cutting Room Floor, all is fine. The only issue is that there'll be two gates placed on top of each other, but it should be unnoticeable except for when you use them.

• +1 1