REQUEST: S.T.E.P 2.2.8 and MO -- USKP and correct ordering of esp's

wolverine2710

Question

Finally returned to Skyrim after more then a year and installed the complete S.T.E.P 2.2.8 guide. I have all DLC's installed (requirement for STEP 2.2.8). Overwrite directory purged but now the red rectangle shows 'there are potential problems with your setup'.

Afaik the new 2.x Unofficial Patches series like Unofficial Skyrim Patch which uses false esm's made it possible that some scripts did not work any longer and the esp order for mods had to change. Tannin has tried to automatically correct this, but this is not always possible. Instead he now shows a list of files which have to be reordered. I'm not sure if that list is 100% correct or not. I TOTALLY lack the knowledge to determine that.

As MO is now the preferred mod manager for STEP it would be great if the guide would contain instructions about what the correct order of the esp's is and the MO user has no red warning rectangle. This can be accomplished with I think BUM (Boss User Manager) of BOSS user rules. I haven't found info about this in the STEP guide. 

Question: Can somebody help me (and by doing that help the STEP users) with the correct order and or show me where to get the info needed to determine this myself. I have in the two spoiler tags beneath included the mods which are in the STEP guide and the ones I have installed myself.

[spoiler=STEP 2.2.8 mods]

The conflict resolution order for some mods with scripts differs from the corresponding esp. This can lead to subtle, hard to locate bugs. You should re-order the affected mods. The following changes should fix the issue:

Move Brawl Bugs Patch - Compatibility Edition MO after Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

Move Ars Metallica - Smithing after Brawl Bugs Patch - Compatibility Edition MO

Move When Vampires Attack after Ars Metallica - Smithing

Move Even Better Quest Objectives after When Vampires Attack

Move The Choice is Yours after Enhanced Blood Textures

Move The Choice is Yours - Dawnguard after The Choice is Yours

Move Thieves Guild Requirements after The Choice is Yours - Dawnguard

Move Follower Trap Safety -- Brawl Bug Plugin after Thieves Guild Requirements

Move Non-Essential Children -- Hearthfire edition after Follower Trap Safety -- Brawl Bug Plugin

[spoiler=miscellaneous mods]

The conflict resolution order for some mods with scripts differs from the corresponding esp. This can lead to subtle, hard to locate bugs. You should re-order the affected mods. The following changes should fix the issue:

Move Civil War Overhaul after Even Better Quest Objectives

Move Enhanced Blood Textures after Civil War Overhaul

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

brawl bug

Only use the main "Compatibility Edition" file. Not necessary in Extended if using Enhanced Blood Textures.

My bad missed that one....

Better swing sounds.

Extracted BSA and made optional the BWS.esp

Thundering shouts

Made 'thundering shouts.esp' optional, effectively deleting it from the vfs.

Saw that two mods had bsa which I did not yet extract. did it and now all bsa's for installed mods are extracted.

Dynamic Fires

Extracted the bsa (and selected 'hide' it)

HD rabbits plus

Extracted the bsa (and selected 'hide' it)

After that I ran the external BOSS (kickstarted by MO) again.

Current warning

Move Enhanced Blood Textures after Even Better Quest Objectives

Move Thieves Guild Requirements after The Choice is Yours - Dawnguard

Move Non-Essential Children -- Hearthfire edition after Thieves Guild Requirements

I have again checked the mods mentioned above but all seems correctly installed (installation order wise). The choice is yours and thieves guild requirements are quite dominant in the above warning.

Perhaps you have more suggestion of how to get rid of the last 5 warning. Fingers crossed.

Try the BETA version of the Thieves Guild Requirements. Make sure to not use the EBQO patch for that mod.

Downloaded file Thieves Guild Requirements - BETA VERSION-14157-2BETA.zip. Made the BetterQuestObjectives-ThievesGuildRequirementsPatch.esp in EBBQ optional (removed from vfs). Now the warning I get is bigger then with the normal version of thieves guild.

Move SkyUI after Ars Metallica - Smithing

Move When Vampires Attack after SkyUI

Move Even Better Quest Objectives after When Vampires Attack

Move Enhanced Blood Textures after Even Better Quest Objectives

Move Non-Essential Children -- Hearthfire edition after The Choice is Yours - Dawnguard

Move Thieves Guild Requirements - BETA VERSION after Non-Essential Children -- Hearthfire edition

OK, gonna hit the bed (2:15 AM here in the Netherlands). Hopefully when I wake up somebody has a new suggestion.

Ok: Gonna read Synixtrix url and then hit the bed....

EDIT: Read Synixtrix url. What I understand is that the STEP team has changed the isntall order so that the warning should go away. I've checked the install order today (with the STEP page refreshed in the browser) so I assume I should NOT get the warning any longer BUT still its there. In the now a bit outdated zipfile I provided (dropbox) the complete profile and BOSS info can be found. Hopefully that one make it clearer.

Ok, updating to the BETA of Thieves Guild Requirements will require you to either hide or delete the scripts/ski_playerloadgamealias.pex else you won't be able to remove the warning. That is why your conflict warning increased when you switched. Will look at the rest a little more thoroughly to ascertain what's up.

Here's my warnings after updating to the BETA version:

• Move Unofficial Skyrim Patch before SkyUI
  • Move Unofficial Dawnguard Patch before SkyUI
  • Move Unofficial Hearthfire Patch before SkyUI
  • Move Unofficial Dragonborn Patch before SkyUI
  • Move Ars Metallica - Smithing Enhancement before SkyUI
  • Move Traps Make Noise - Follower Safety Patch before SkyUI
SkyUI wasn't even listed before I updated and now I'm supposed to move 4 mods before SkyUI that are already before it. Maybe the detection for this is a touch off.

Couple Observations @Wolverine:

You need to update your Realistic Water Two install (but that isn't going to fix the problem here) https://wiki.step-project.com/Realistic_Water_Two

Also update Follower Trap Safety to 1.2 (also not going to fix the problem) (Brawl Bug plugin version no longer needed)

Skyrim Distant Detail Hearthfire Edition isn't in STEP that I'm aware of, but shouldn't be a problem.

Dragons Shout With Voice is missing the Dragons Shout with Voice from location optional.

You forgot to activate Moss Rocks Dragonborn, but not an issue.

If you haven't already done so, Unofficial High Resolution Patch doesn't need an esp with either extracted or checked BSA.

You won't need the HighResTexturePack0X.esp plugins either if you check BSAs.

Update.esm needs cleaning.

I don't think any of this will fix it, but I have to go.

Here's my warnings after updating to the BETA version:

• Move Unofficial Skyrim Patch before SkyUI
  • Move Unofficial Dawnguard Patch before SkyUI
  • Move Unofficial Hearthfire Patch before SkyUI
  • Move Unofficial Dragonborn Patch before SkyUI
  • Move Ars Metallica - Smithing Enhancement before SkyUI
  • Move Traps Make Noise - Follower Safety Patch before SkyUI
SkyUI wasn't even listed before I updated and now I'm supposed to move 4 mods before SkyUI that are already before it. Maybe the detection for this is a touch off.
The reason for that is the leftover scripts/ski_playerloadgamealias.pex in Thieves Guild Requirements that must be removed.

Edit: Oh wait, sorry, forget that. I thought you meant beta version of Thieves Guild Requirements, not Unofficial Patches ;)

I have to say this. The (MO) S.T.E.P. community never stops to amaze me. They are REALLY trying to help and go that extra mile. DoubleYou I know it has taken you quite some time to dig into this. I TOTALLY appreciate it. I just have to little knowledge of CK/modding stuff. In the spoiler below I will respond to your findings.

Note: USKP, UDGP, UHFP and UDBP got updates tonight (USK version 2.0.1 3:49, 9 Februari) and did go from a 2.0 alpha/beta status to 2.0.1.

[spoiler=my response wrt DoubleYouY findings]

The zipfile reflects my state before I made some changes, as in according to feedback received AND I now have deselected all esp's for which MO says 'empty esp'.

DY: You need to update your Realistic Water Two install (but that isn't going to fix the problem here) https://wiki.step-project.com/Realistic_Water_Two

Wolverine: I'm using RW2 version 1.11 23:49, 21 November 2013 which is the latest version. I have not the installed the 'Combination - Legendary' option as I have Falskaar and Wyrmstooth (deselected now for testing) but I have installed all esp's which are relevant for the

Question: How did you come to the conclusion that I need to update.

DY: Aso update Follower Trap Safety to 1.2 (also not going to fix the problem) (Brawl Bug plugin version no longer needed)

Wolverine: In the Notes tab of the information window of MO I had made the remark "Latest version is 1.2. Step recommended version is 1.1. Selected 'ignore update'.". Rechecked the STEP guide again, I don't anything special atm but in the changelog of 2.2.8 it is mentioned that the Modified Mod Notes for the mod has changed. It now states: "No recommendations currently available.". Hence the latest version I assume.

Action: Will update to 1.2.

DY: Skyrim Distant Detail Hearthfire Edition isn't in STEP that I'm aware of, but shouldn't be a problem.

Wolverine: Its a mod installed I installed last year 20130817 and it didn't need an update BUT you are correct. STEP guide says "Skyrim Distant DetailLink.  Hearthfire users: Use the optional "Hearthfire Edition" file. BUT the Nexus id for that mod is 12866, while my installed mod has id 25300. My bad didn't check the nexusid and given the name (in my MO) I thought it was the correct mod. GOOD find!!! Did a bit of digging: the OP says: "ATTENTION: This mod is NOT compatible with Hearthfire!

Please download the Hearthfire Edition here: https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25300/". This is the mod I installed. BUT the OP is not correct any longer because the mod now HAS just like STEP mentions a "Distant Detail Hearthfire Edition" optional file (Distant Detail made compatible with Hearthfire) in the file section. Read wolvie read!!

Action: Will remove my mod and install the correct mod.

DY: Dragons Shout With Voice is missing the Dragons Shout with Voice from location optional.

Wolverine: I have installed Dragons Shout with Voice - Loose-35286-1-0.rar. BUT you are right, I forgot to install the optional file.

Action: Will install optional file mod "Dragons Shout with Voice from location".

DY: You forgot to activate Moss Rocks Dragonborn, but not an issue.

Wolverine: My bad.

Action: Have activated "Moss Rocks-Dragonborn"

DY: If you haven't already done so, Unofficial High Resolution Patch doesn't need an esp with either extracted or checked

BSA.

Wolverine: Since the zip file was made I already had disabled the "Unoffical High Resoltion Patch".

Action: Non required.

DY: You won't need the HighResTexturePack0X.esp plugins either if you check BSAs.

Wolverine: Since the zip file was made I already had disabled all three esp's for it.

Action: Non required.

DY: Update.esm needs cleaning.

Wolverine: You are correct. I already made a 'mod' for it in MO called "Skyrim Update.esm cleaned" but I had not

Action: Going to clean update.esm.

I had disabled the three esp's for the free Official High Resolution DLC and other esp''s for which MO mentions "empty esp".

Note: In BOSS I had set 'hide inactive plugins'. Have enabled it again. It also makes it visible that I have esp installed but not activated.

I will make the changes needed but as you said I don't think its gonna make a difference. In the 2.2.8 changelog now quite a few links exist for additional reading (why a decission was made). Gonna RTFA them all, perhaps I see something there.

Again thanks for all your effort. I'm gonna make a new zipfile. Perhaps you have time today/tomorow to check that new one out. That would be fab. When a new one is created I will mention it.

Note 1: It seems that the more one checks things the easier it is to overlook think.

Note 2: I think STEP REALLY needs a (semi) automated installer to make sure mistakes are minimized. It would also make support easier. Last year a semi automated step was discussed again. See Automated STEP Installer - Now in Beta and SemiAutoSTEP news. MotherGoose of first thread mentioned he lost interest so thats on hold. But his work is not abandoned because its part of SemiAutoStep by MilesTeq. Unfortunately his last update is from end December and I haven't seen anything indicating there is new progress.

I said to update your install of Realistic Water Two NOT because the mod updated, but because the instructions were updated.

BTW, with the new Unofficial Patch update, the warning icon will be there in present order. If you really want to remove that warning now, you will have to move Run For Your Lives after Traps Make Noise. I really don't understand why this set off the MO warning.

I will have a look at the RWT updated install instructions and your suggestion.  I'm atm to exhausted to do anything further. Tomorow I will dig into it again and will let you know. It looks as if Tannin himself has to look into this. I know the warning probably can't hurt but still if no warning is shown for some others what causes it for me (and possibly others).

Just to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong I would appreciate it if you or someone else could do me a favor. Multiple inputs are of course even better. If someone has installed the COMPLETE STEP extended guide could he/she do the following.

• Create a new profile called STEPExtended by copying an existing one which holds the complete extended STEP mod set to a new profile.
  • Disable all mods which are NOT part of STEP extended.
  • Run the external BOSS kickstarted by MO
  • Check if a 'potential mod order problem'  is shown or not.
  • Create a zipfile which contains /Skyrim/userlist and /Skyrim/BOSSlog.html and the /profiles/STEPExtended directory (minus the saves directory).
  • Send it to me in a PM or if zips can't be attached tell me and I send my email address.
The above is just a friendly request (not only addressed to you). If its not possible, no problem. I just think it would enable me to dig further in the matter. Thanks so far for the help.

I said to update your install of Realistic Water Two NOT because the mod updated, but because the instructions were updated.

BTW, with the new Unofficial Patch update, the warning icon will be there in present order. If you really want to remove that warning now, you will have to move Run For Your Lives after Traps Make Noise. I really don't understand why this set off the MO warning.

I'm not completely sure the warning system works correctly if the problem is circular. It detects mod a needs to be behind mod B which needs to be behind mod C which needs to be behind mod A. Might make the detection go bonkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk