Modlist.txt not found

cottage114

Question

Installing Mod organizer for first time using the installer.  Upon launch it declares failed to find "C;/Program Files (x86)/Mod Organizer/profiles/Default/modlist.txt"

Is there a way to correct this since it simply closes after acknowledging the pop-up

It works differently on Windows 8. In Windows 7' date=' selecting Never Notify will make all applications launch as if they were Run as Administrator. In Windows 8, you still have to right-click and Run as Administrator. I dual-boot using both.[/quote']

If you don't use the Metro apps, you can disable UAC totally and even remove the permission prompts that appear whenever you touch any file in Program Files.

Metro apps is pretty much the only reason I have 8.

I have only one profile' date='Default.Where would you suggest I install it?Im running windows 7.Its presently installed in Program files x86.I have a 2 terabyte hard drive.The machine is new and I have 1.5 terabytes available.[/quote']

It is recommended in the wiki to install it to the skyrim directory.

I take it you mean to install everything inside Skyrim.I installed it from inside Skyrim but into its own directory.As for clean install I take it you mean a  complete uninstall including deleting everything left over in in the MO folder.

Reading here, I've not found a solution to my modlist.txt not found. It's only one of my Profiles that prompts that warning; I have 1.1.1 MO installed, on E:/Steam/...., everything is, as recommended. No UAC (hate that thing anyway), 'Run as Admin' is ticked in .exe properties and on top of that, I right-click run it anyway as Admin (out of habit). Real Time protector is off while playing, Offline-Mode on Steam... I have really no Idea what would cause the error, since the modlist.txt is there (and as far I saw, it is updating properly according to changes I make while testing some mods and configurations).

Running Windows 7 Ultimate oem.

I updated to the latest version.I installed it in the skyrim folder and it works there.When you install it make sure you designate the directory inside Skyrim directory.

The installation is in the Skyrim directory, sorry, I was too lazy to type out the full path. The warning is inconsistent, it shows and it doesn't, randomly and limited to that one profile. I simply ignore it by now, it doesn't appear to have influence ingame.

My issue is instead of this it's 'failed to create C:/Program Files (x86)/Mod Organizer/profiles/Default/modlist.txt'. I've had it there since the begining but this is the first time there's been a problem like this. For one thing I don't have a folder named Default, it's either Skyrim Revisited or Vanilla Skyrim. And I didn't have this problem until about some hours ago; my computer was acting stupid and and nearly every program unresponsive. MO was in the middle of downloading the newest version of Enhanced Blood Textures when the "freeze" happened when I decided to manually shut off my computer and restart it. When I turned it back on it said that something about MO was corrupted and I had to run Chkdsk; I did and nothing changed from earlier.

I can't run MO for Skyrim now without the 'failed to create C:/Program Files (x86)/Mod Organizer/profiles/Default/modlist.txt' error coming up. What can I do to fix this?

My issue is instead of this it's 'failed to create C:/Program Files (x86)/Mod Organizer/profiles/Default/modlist.txt'. I've had it there since the begining but this is the first time there's been a problem like this. For one thing I don't have a folder named Default, it's either Skyrim Revisited or Vanilla Skyrim. And I didn't have this problem until about some hours ago; my computer was acting stupid and and nearly every program unresponsive. MO was in the middle of downloading the newest version of Enhanced Blood Textures when the "freeze" happened when I decided to manually shut off my computer and restart it. When I turned it back on it said that something about MO was corrupted and I had to run Chkdsk; I did and nothing changed from earlier.

I can't run MO for Skyrim now without the 'failed to create C:/Program Files (x86)/Mod Organizer/profiles/Default/modlist.txt' error coming up. What can I do to fix this?

Something, either an external program or the OS itself has either, deleted or moved, that folder.

Each 'Profile' inside MO is simply a collection of text files that store details in a separate folder. 'Default' is the profile that MO installs when you first run the tool. If it is not there you can simply re-create it either in MO by using the Profile Manager or in Explorer by creating a new folder under the MO - Profiles folder.

Creating the Default folder fixed it, thank you. Now however all my mods are practically in alphabetical order so that requires a manual sorting, tons of fun. Any possible way to get me out of that or no? Just asking to save me time and hassle, haha.

That sounds like ModOrganizer.ini may have been corrupted and MO either created a new one or appended new information in the old one on the next start. Did you have to add any tools like TESEdit or Wrye back to the executables? Did it run the first time setup tutorial. Did the profiles Skyrim Revisited or Vanilla Skyrim show up after the restart?

MO has a backup button at the top of each pane to back up modlist and plugin list. Did you use that at anytime? A restore from that may help.

Also you did not mention the version of MO being used. The beta, 1.3.4, has a bug in it that the lowest alpha / numeric named profile will be loaded when using the profile manager, in this case default, or selecting profiles that effects the pluging list.

Didn't notice it but yeah, looks like I'm going to have to add all the .exes back...lovely. When it first came on the whole 'This version, etc.' window came up so that should have been a clue. As for backups the only one I have is from July 2, 2014 so that's not going to work. MO version is 1.3.4.