True Circlet Gems (Madcat221)

Octopuss

I am pretty confused by the OP screens. TCG sounds like a mesh replacement, and we'd need to know what textures go with the new meshes (if the mod does not supply). NJ is a mesh or texture replacer or both?

Some of the mods in question have no apparent effect. Need to know what overwrites what in those screens maybe.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't all that impressed with the look of True Circlet Gems in the comparison screenshots, with the exception of the rubies, which I think look great. However, I took the time to actually load these up and check them out in game. I have to say, the screenshots just aren't really capturing True Gems very well. Not that the screenshots are inaccurate, but they just can't capture the depth of the gems.

I ran around a bit in different lighting and watched how the light shifts in the True Gems depending on the direction of the light. Actually you can just stand still and watch the character breath, and that small movement is enough to make the facets in the gems sparkle slightly.

Then I loaded New Jewels (and also vanilla), and the difference is pretty dramatic. The gems look rather flat and plasticy. The emeralds have the best definition in New Jewels (the rubies have the least), but even in the emeralds the highlights and reflections don't shift or move along with the character or light sources, which does give them something of a painted on appearance.

I do think it would be nice if the green and blue colors in True Gems weren't quite as bright. I'd prefer a deeper color or maybe something slightly less saturated, but overall the added depth that the new meshes lend to the jewels is a rather nice effect.

EDIT: Also the moonstone in New Jewels is a bit blinding. The black pearl is very nice, but I think the moonstone needs to be darker.

EDIT: Also the moonstone in New Jewels is a bit blinding. The black pearl is very nice, but I think the moonstone needs to be darker.

It's a bit bright I agree, but better than the blue from vanilla imo. Realizing now that they don't conflict, I will probably combine New Jewels and True Gems.

Unscientific screenies showing New Jewels  vs. Vanilla moonstones. Forgot to turn off ENB, I realize that can affect colour :B

Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image

EDIT: Added one more pic because the blue is really bad for me in certain lighting. So pics are New Jewels > Vanilla > Vanilla.

Here's another moonstone/onyx comparison. Includes vanilla, Better Circlets (obviously stones only), New Jewels, and a couple of others for good measure. :)

I prefer 3, with 7 as a runner up, because I think they actually look like moonstone (which is white).

Thanks for the comparison!