FileAccess Interface for Skyrim Script - FISS (by Lord Conti)

statmonster

Inclusion yes... but at the same level as the mods that make use of it. IE, If we have a core mod that uses it, then Core... since that would make sense. Why make it Core if no Core mods use it? I say this not having gone through the list recently, but the point should still stand.

The most recent list of FISS-supported mods is here. SkyUI is a core mod, and there is a SkyUI-FISS patch available from the SkyTweak page.

However, those SkyTweak files are obviously not a part of STEP (yet). If this gets added, however, I would advocate that we also add those FISS patches. Might as well make full use of FISS if we are going to add it!

Edit: Wording

Edit 2: I haven't tested those FISS Patches yet from the SkyTweak optional files to see if they actually require SkyTweak. If they do, obviously a no-go. But I think they are independent files. I will check them out, anyway.

I agree that FISS could be a good inclusion to allow users to click a button to load the MCM presets. I think the disadvantage is that it requires creating a FISS presset for each mod and then loading these presets one by one. It's still significantly easier than trying to explain how to setup all the MCM settings manually, though.

EDIT: I think TechAngel setup the MCM settings WIKI page for exactly this reason if I'm not mistaken. That is, we could use this as a basis to create the FISS preset files for mods than support FISS and then layout the MCM settings individually for mods that don't support FISS.

I think FISS mods supported by STEP should have a premade file that we provide with our recommended settings.

This. We'll provide our own preset files for the mods that support it.

The MCM wiki page is because we're recommending those mods without recommending settings. This has been something we needed to fix for a good while now. So that's the first step to getting those settings fleshed out and recommended for the STEP users.

That is a great idea! :-) Make things as easy as we can for folks.

Just to be clear, those optional SkyTweak files I was referring to earlier provide FISS functionality to those mods (which they do not otherwise have), they are not specific presets AFAIK.

[...]

Edit 2: I haven't tested those FISS Patches yet from the SkyTweak optional files to see if they actually require SkyTweak. If they do, obviously a no-go. But I think they are independent files. I will check them out, anyway.

I've tested them and using them in my current playthrough. The files are standalone and don't need SkyTweaks to function.

• 11 months later...

I've been using it and found it useful; I wish more mods with large or complex configurations used it since only a few mods actually use it. Seems like an excellent addition to STEP. As Tech mentioned, the biggest issue is that few mods use it.

True, few mods support it, but it is a godsend for the ones that do. At least for those with restart-itis like me. :-P

A lot of Kryptopyr's mods natively support it, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, Grimy made some FISS addons for SkyUI, MoreHud and iHud (all STEP mods now). These just add FISS functionality, nothing more. Available from the SkyTweak page here: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33395/?

If we add FISS I think it is worth adding those addons as well.

The big one is Timing is Everything.  I installed FISS with the mod author's own preset and it makes this significantly easier to manage, given the number of options.  With FISS in the mix, one could provide a STEP preset for TiE to simplify things.

• +1 1

Accepted into STEP as of datetime of this post.

In following STEP:Extended without any deviation, forgive me, but I find the installation instructions lacking with FISS...  I do not understand if I am to install FISS inside our outside of Mod Organizer. I am defaulting to installation as it is described in on its Nexus page:

HOW TO USE(Modders)

1. Download and install FISS (Extract to folder “Skyrim/Data/â€

2. Activate FISS.esp in your load order

Admittedly I am new to modding at this level. 

The result has been a file created in:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data

Labeled:

FileAccess Interface for Skyrim Scripts - FISS-48265-1-21

I then copy/paste the FISS.esp to the data directory itself....

FISS shows up as an unmanaged mod.

Have I completed the FISS installation correctly? Should I have downloaded and installed through Mod Organizer? I really do not want to screw up the STEP process with inexperience. 

Thank You in Advance!

Edited by Chillaxulating