Controller Support

eecer

Hello,

I am new to using STEP and am looking forward to using this as my starting mod list, but I was wondering how many of the UI and Character creation mods have controller support. I don't want to waste my time with some of the mods if they don't support me running my controller with the game.

Thanks for any help and this is one of the most useful Skyrim mod site's that I have found.

I've used STEP for a long time with a 360 controller. Racemenu, SkyUI, convenient Horses, and just about everything else has integrated controller support or the ability to set it up yourself. The only issue you may run into is Dual Wield Parrying, since you might run out of button for stuff.

I use a 360 controller too, but I also like to use the keyboard sometimes in game.

Get Control Switcher to get the best of both worlds. I often need to use the mouse for aiming with a bow or for sorting by VW in the SkyUI inventory. It uses hot keys to invoke the controllers that you want in game. It does have an annoying midi musical startup that you have to quickly kill though.

If someone could edit that out in VStudio or something, I would be very grateful!

• 3 weeks later...

I use an Xbox 360 controller, and one of the nexus mods (can't advise which as site is down), and it works for pretty much everything. I just now started researching this "Chatpad" thingy, and it seems like it would be great - allowing more hotkeys, and then the occasional console command. However, it is not designed to be used with a PC, and the drivers needed are third party and give me pause. The drivers also only work with a wired controller, and I prefer the wireless.

But having just a little keyboard attached to your controller is just too awesome. Would like to hear if others have tried this, or something similar.

• 5 months later...

So, I finally got around to using the Chatpad with Skyrim and seeing if it is something that can be done since there are no official drivers for the chatpad. There are unofficial ones for the wired controller and it works pretty good. I have been playing with it the last few days and it is pretty awesome having everything right at my hands. I can open the console, use tons of hotkeys, quicksave, quickload, screenshot, and type out names for all my enchanted gear all without touching the keyboard. Pretty much the best of both worlds.

The drawback is that the drivers aren't signed, so you have to f8 at startup and choose to start unsigned drivers. Then you run this little control app that turns on all the buttons or something and leave it minimized while playing. Skyrim is super fun this way, makes me wish I had dug up my chatpad a long time ago and figured this out. Also, wireless controllers have a driver, but I did not find it as useful, maybe someone else can figure it out. There is a controlmap.txt you can download on the nexus here for support. 

Sorry it took me 6 months to look it over...  :confused:

Cool. I still need to get a controller. I dislike using one on the PC if I can help it, but some games are nearly impossible to play without one...like The Witcher 2...which will sit in my game library until I fork out the money to get another one. Probably not anytime soon as I have plenty of other things to keep my occupied.

Well, the top row of the chatpad is 1-0, so ten right there. Then I set the iHUD compass hotkey to X, the Convenient Horses stuff to H and Y, and anything that isn't bound to a keyboard key already will work as a hotkey. Also, I changed the Dpad to use up as Dual Wield Parry's block, and down as Favorites. Then the other two I use as loadouts from SkyUI.

There is also full support for the green and orange buttons that shift the keys to another symbol, so you have that many more symbols if you set them up in the controlmap.txt. 

Well, the top row of the chatpad is 1-0, so ten right there. Then I set the iHUD compass hotkey to X, the Convenient Horses stuff to H and Y, and anything that isn't bound to a keyboard key already will work as a hotkey. Also, I changed the Dpad to use up as Dual Wield Parry's block, and down as Favorites. Then the other two I use as loadouts from SkyUI. There is also full support for the green and orange buttons that shift the keys to another symbol, so you have that many more symbols if you set them up in the controlmap.txt.

Nice! I use a controller as well, but I've always just used "Extended Version" of this mod, which works well enough. It's obviously a lot more limited than the Chatpad though.I also tried using a custom controlmap.txt file that allowed the controller to work with the keyboard at the same time, but couldn't get it working properly.There was something else that I used too, but it turned out to be really, really complicated. I think it was the "More Hotkeys Please" mod.