Noob following STEP guide but;

RAMbo4250

I don't have all the DLC just Dawnguard. I'm at Step 2a. There are 2 STEP patches to download (Core and extended). Both require all DLC. I obviously can't install either. What do I do and what will be the effect? Can I still follow the guide or will something be broken and not work right? Work-around?

Don't use the STEP patches, you won't miss to much without them. There is a column for every section that has the DLC icons for mods. If there is a HF or DB then you need to check that that mod has version for non-DLC or dawnguard only. If it does cool, if not then skip that mod. You will not miss out on a ton of mods though. As far as the STEP Patches are concerned we can only support people with every DLC since Skyrim is now over 2 years old, but you missing a bunch of stuff anyways.

Don't use the STEP patches' date=' you won't miss to much without them. There is a column for every section that has the DLC icons for mods. If there is a HF or DB then you need to check that that mod has version for non-DLC or dawnguard only. If it does cool, if not then skip that mod. You will not miss out on a ton of mods though. As far as the STEP Patches are concerned we can only support people with every DLC since Skyrim is now over 2 years old, but you missing a bunch of stuff anyways.[/quote']

Does that apply universally, or only to people who don't have all the DLCs? I am not sure I understand the purpose of the STEP patches. Aren't they parts of other mods listed in the guide?

Don't use the STEP patches' date=' you won't miss to much without them. There is a column for every section that has the DLC icons for mods. If there is a HF or DB then you need to check that that mod has version for non-DLC or dawnguard only. If it does cool' date=' if not then skip that mod. You will not miss out on a ton of mods though. As far as the STEP Patches are concerned we can only support people with every DLC since Skyrim is now over 2 years old, but you missing a bunch of stuff anyways.[/quote'']

Does that apply universally, or only to people who don't have all the DLCs? I am not sure I understand the purpose of the STEP patches. Aren't they parts of other mods listed in the guide?

Not sure I get what you are asking, but I'll break down the patch and guide in detail.

Because Skyrim is now getting old we have stop supporting users that do not have all the DLC. That does not mean you can't use STEP, and does not mean that we will not answer your questions. That would just be mean spirited.

If a user does not have every DLC then they need to be aware that some mods will not be available to them because some mod authors have moved in that direction to make things easier on themselves. Also, some mods are specifically for DLC like the Realistic Crossbow Sounds mod, which requires Dawnguard. The STEP guide has a column that will list if a mod supports the DLC by showing an icon with either HF, DG, DB. If there is an icon for that specific mod and the user doesn't have the appropriate DLC then the user should check the mod's website to see if there is a version that does not require the DLC that the user does not own. This is the case for many of the mods in the STEP guide. Things like Footsteps - Ash Supplementals or Dawnguard Rune Weapons FX Replacer or Crossbow Sounds will all require Dawnguard or Dragonborn and not have a version for other users. This is due to those mods addressing things that are only in the DLC, like ash footsteps for Dragonborn or Crossbow sounds from Dawnguard, but the regular Footsteps mod and Realistic Bow Sounds will work just fine. So just keep an eye out and you will be fine.

The Patches project was started after 2.2.7 released and is an attempt to create a better patched game with the STEP mods and to reduce the number of plugin slots, which also adds to stability. Due to time constraints we cannot address every DLC individually and with Steam sales every three months, people can grab the DLC cheap or the Skyrim - LE version for ~20 bucks. Because of time issues and the age of Skyrim we made a decision to only support users with all DLC for the patches. Your game will not break without it, but you will need to be aware of certain patches that will be required for your game that are usually included in the STEP Patches.

Also, if using only STEP Core then use the STEP core patch, but if also using Extended then only use the STEP Extended patch. STEP Core patch is merged into the Extended patch to make it easier on you guys.

I meant something else. Let me try to put it in another way.

I am not sure what's the purpose of STEP patches, what they actually do. Are they parts of specific mods or what?

If I install every mod listed in the STEP guide, wouldn't I get those changes anyway?

Uh, ok.

I am reading the detailed instructions again and am still not sure I understand. The patches mentioned there, which I am supposed to disable, are extra standalone patches released for specific mods, typically showing under "optional" category on Nexus?

Or do I still get it completely wrong?

Yes, you do not need those patches with the STEP Patch, they are merged into the STEP Patch.

For the Core patch there are three, and for Extended there are the three from the Core patch plus 5 or 6 additional patches that are no longer needed. Also, Waterbreating Breathless Emerge can be disable do to forwards that I made, but I forgot to add it to the readme and have been lazy about doing so.

Ahh. Don't those patches eventually need updating if the appropriate mod is updated as well though?

I am building my selection of mods these days, and lots of them have all kinds of patches available for them, and I have to say it's extremely confusing.

Were trying to get rid of the need for those extra patches with the STEP Patches. If you build your own mod list you are kinda at the mercy of the mos you select and will need to use the provided patches from the mod authors and then probably need to make your own patch from those to get every thing working correctly.

Well, I am mostly picking mods up from STEP list, with a few additions from Neovalen's list, so I guess I am fairly safe?

But looking at the instructions for the patches, I still don't quite understand.

Example: It says to disable DiversePriests_BringOutYourDeadPatch.esp, but neither of those mods have any such patch listed. Can you explain that? Maybe I will finally understand how it works then.