aMidianBorn Farmhouse (by CaBaL)

DoYouEvenModBro

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, finally had a chance to run around in-game with these textures. I do like the mod and think it's an improvement over SRO. SRO tends to be bland gray pretty much for all the wood. AMB seems to simply break this up with a bit more color variety. The textures are still worn and old looking, they've just been giving a bit of character and life. When wood weathers in moist environments (like Syrim) it's not simply just bleached out like you'd see in more arid climates. It weathers with a variety of colors and depth. AMB is more true to this; whereas, SRO is more characteristic of the arid climates.

AMB's change is subtle by simply providing a bit of color variation and some slightly darker colors as seen in the shots below.

SRO >> AMB >> AMB with hidden textures

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The the final image I have hidden the ropes and the thatch textures. That's it. They both looked far too new and out of place with the surrounding textures. I tested AMB in multiple locations and in multiple lighting. I like what the mod does. AMB looks particularly good at night:

SRO >> AMB

Posted ImagePosted Image

The colors of AMB are simply richer.

With all that said, I really don't think it's too far away from vanilla with the hidden textures to reject it from being in Core. What do you guys think on Core vs Extended?

This mod has my approval either way.

Also, we'll need to decide on the windows. I know that the doors have been discussed; however, the AMB doors will have to stay because the SRO doors contrast too much and make them really pop out in an undesirable way.

I'm actually partial to AOF, but AMB in the rain and at night gives me a mod boner. I love the look of both mods but AOF is a bit dried out to fit the world, but the work is very high quality. Amb should probably be core some it is better than what is core right now. I'd say hide the fireplace textures though.

I'm actually partial to AOF, but AMB in the rain and at night gives me a mod boner. I love the look of both mods but AOF is a bit dried out to fit the world, but the work is very high quality. Amb should probably be core some it is better than what is core right now. I'd say hide the fireplace textures though.

Guess we'd need a vote on that too. The fireplace texture is tied to the floor texture. The problem I have with the floor texture is that it looks like old cement that has cracked over time. Everything from the color, cracks and brush strokes in the texture suggests cement (if you've ever laid outdoor cement you'll know you brush it with with a shop broom to provide texture for grip). Cement existed back in these times; however, it wasn't widely used so the possibility of finding it laid as a foundation for a farmhouse is basically nonexistent. Cabal's flooring of broken up stone is far more likely. (I'm not saying it's pretty, but it's better than cement)

EDIT:

SRO >> AMB

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Over the years, that floor would get much smoother from all the boots walking on it and just general wear and tear. I don't see either looking like concrete to me, they both look like stone. It don't think either is really right or wrong, I just don't like the AMB texture, personal preference type of thing. I like just about every other texture in this pack though.

I don't like the straw roof, door, or rope textures on this mod at all. Indeed, when I loaded it up in-game yesterday, I totally wrote it off simply for that. I loaded up AOF farmhouses as well, and I absolutely hated the outsides for the overuse of cracks in the wood. Sure it is realistic to have cracks, but the same cracks are everywhere! Some of the AOF inside textures looked good. AMB insides are generally very nice, but I really am not too keen on that floor texture.

I don't like the straw roof, door, or rope textures on this mod at all. Indeed, when I loaded it up in-game yesterday, I totally wrote it off simply for that. I loaded up AOF farmhouses as well, and I absolutely hated the outsides for the overuse of cracks in the wood. Sure it is realistic to have cracks, but the same cracks are everywhere! Some of the AOF inside textures looked good. AMB insides are generally very nice, but I really am not too keen on that floor texture.

That's the beauty of being about to hide textures. Thatch roofs and rope will be hidden, if accpeted. Floor is up in the air. The door will have to remain due to the contrast of the SRO door with the rest of the AMB textures.

Pity the fireplace is tied to the floor texture. I like the AMB fireplace, I'm ambivalent as to the floors though, SRO does look borderline "no rock" but I've alwas just rwritten it off in my mind as "they just got some really big rocks and chiseled them; I mean people built the pyramids and Stonehenge"

Ok Brumbek you can release your next version of SMIM, I know you've already fixed it so you can use a custom texture you dog you!

AMB floor any day of the week.. but I guess I am just tried of over noised textures put along with extra sharpening effects by now... only real improvement I could wish for would be a parallaxed version.. but that pretty much goes for just about every single "floor rocky" texture.. it is just a place where parallax just works.